Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there Kronos like this Oasys with tilt display?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Narioso

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Are there Kronos like this Oasys with tilt display? Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30U5Uyg2Wp8

Here Keith Emerson - and don't find legacy on Korg site over this.
Don't see any Kronos with tilt display like this listed????

Special edition something?
There were no embedded display.
Think I saw Peter Gabriel with one as well.

That is ergonomics you want, kind of.

And also wonder about keyboard behind him in this video, thinking Roland something due to pitch/mod stick?

It also has a rather square back lit embedded display, maybe 6-7" or so.
I watched the full concert on a dvd, but no image to really see.

Think same as here
http://www.keithemerson.com/Gallery/2006Appearances/2006Tour/Photos/20060616Poughkeepsie/MAB/Emo01.jpg

Thanks.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there Kronos like this Oasys with tilt display? Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30U5Uyg2Wp8

Here Keith Emerson - and don't find legacy on Korg site over this.
Don't see any Kronos with tilt display like this listed????

Special edition something?
There were no embedded display.

Hi there,

Emerson is playing an Oasys on the video and pic you provided. There is currently no Kronos with tilt display from the manufacturer. But I modified mine this year to adjust the angle of its screen as I want. Below is a pic and here is also a video in which you can see it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO-aDkBYoik

Narioso

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How cool isn't that, thank you.

How come Korg abandoned such a nice display approach, one wonders?
- it's a major downer with Kronos I must say if to sit there hours
- at least have a hdmi connector for external like every laptop has
- they obviously had touch screens they could sell separately as the Oasys one

I saw an Oasys a couple of weeks ago on second hand ads, and wanted to investigate a bit.

I found the other keyboard to be Korg Triton Extreme he had behind him
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/korg-triton-extreme
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:

-e

$$

You could tilt a Kronos { you own a K ?] up, propping/tilting the back side chassis up a few inches with a piece of wood, etc

It not ideal, but ut helps some, a cheap workaround.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:

Hi Narioso,

Unfortunately, this is common in many industries and keyboard manufacturers are no exception. The R&D team comes with a list of their recent improvements, devices and ideas, then the marketing team chops the list (often too randomly) until they estimate the product will be viable and bring profit. Indeed, too bad the tilt display had to go. Shocked
Narioso

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I am just contemplating getting a workstation eventually, or going all hardware at least.

Second tier on a stand usually have a bit of a tilt like that, but does not really have a position to spend all that time at like recording. You would need a dentist chair or something that lift you up.

Puzzled over some Korg choices, from Oasys to Kronos and then Nautilus. You have to do custom mods to get display right in later editions.

Maybe an Integra 7 or XV 5080 fits better for sounds, and do recording on something else. A Behringer Wing is one thing that can do 60 tracks to sd cards.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:
No I am just contemplating getting a workstation eventually, or going all hardware at least.

Second tier on a stand usually have a bit of a tilt like that, but does not really have a position to spend all that time at like recording. You would need a dentist chair or something that lift you up.

Puzzled over some Korg choices, from Oasys to Kronos and then Nautilus. You have to do custom mods to get display right in later editions.

Maybe an Integra 7 or XV 5080 fits better for sounds, and do recording on something else. A Behringer Wing is one thing that can do 60 tracks to sd cards.

I am one of the few who believe that less keyboards in a rig is more manageable. I understand that many imagine a Rick Wakeman type rig, but
IMO, thats not necessary these days.

Nautilus has an improved LCD, sort of MODX like.

I also believe that a keyboard musician should have a clear understanding of what their requirements are. "Try as you go ' is very expensive.

With Kronos, you can easily simplify a rig.
Narioso

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Narioso wrote:

Hi Narioso,

Unfortunately, this is common in many industries and keyboard manufacturers are no exception. The R&D team comes with a list of their recent improvements, devices and ideas, then the marketing team chops the list (often too randomly) until they estimate the product will be viable and bring profit. Indeed, too bad the tilt display had to go. Shocked

Seems plausible as you say.
But a connector and have an option to buy a bigger external display that serves you better - why not?
They obviously had the display manufactured for Oasys - it even had a Korg logo on it.
Narioso

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

I think so too, but the equation for me is both midi and audio recording as well as main unit. If to leave computer realm.

Midi recording is convenient as you don't have to decide the final sound until later, and can layer and many things as unison.

Then looking at ergonomics with this small display - available as a mod with tilt - is still not what you can stand doing hours a day.

So really anticipate something that beats Kronos.

I looked at a concert DVD with Peter Gabriel yesterday, the Growing up Tour. He and his femail keyboard player has a Kurzweil something as base. The woman also had a Triton on second tier, heavily tilted like 20 degrees or so - obviously just playing from Kurzweil and using as a module more or less.

So will check out Kurzweil what they offer. This Tour was from 2003, so guess something newer has arrived since.

I remember looking with envie on Kurzweil PC1 some had on stage that sounded lovely as piano goes. That was until I found my MP7SE, really satisfied with that.

I have a floor rack that easily could be filled with a number of effect rack units like reverb and stuff and as well the sounds in orchestral range and more like Integra7 and such units.

20 years ago I had a Fostex VF160 that worked rather well at the time. But these kind of units are extinct more or less, Tascam has a couple still and 24 and 32 tracker. But VF160 also had an ADAT input to run a rack of preamps of own choice - Tascam does not offer that option.

Behringer Wing has this module for SD cards, but have to be replaced by an ADAT module and there goes the standalone studio unless it can be solved somehow.

But AFAIK it's only audio recording, no midi - so all sounds have to be final as you record.

My Windows 7 computer runs really well, but just don't want anything Windows 10 when it dies on me. Just look at what Wavestate guys had to go through with things just stop working after an update that took 6 months to fix. So want options and be prepared since it is 10 years now and one never knows.

Thanks for input guys. Smile
tunaman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:
But a connector and have an option to buy a bigger external display that serves you better - why not?

There’s always the option of connecting a laptop or computer via USB and using the Kronos Editor, depending on your usage and stand arrangements.
Narioso

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but if needing a computer it defies the idea of getting rid of computer for studio work. And at any time an update could ruin it for months.

So a successor to Kronos that have a connector that allowed external touch screen would be nice. Screen is rather small, not only need tilt.

I have laptop that allow higher resolution on external monitor if I turn off internal display. That kind of approach. Best of two worlds - domestic home use or prepare for gigs no external needed then for gigging musicians.

Even among the very cheap cameras I have do wifi and can have a larger display on a tablet or pad - live video.

Looking at Kurzweil PC3 and they mention some interesting things.
- unlimitied midi tracks, but on import what ever that means
- midi thru port can be reassigned as second midi out port
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

Perhaps the dark background is appealing, but it's smaller than Kronos' (7" versus 8") and you have to press harder. The Loopop, and other videos, make it look cumbersome. I don't like the extra button pushing, either (Main modes, 8 tracks instead of 16 visible, one row of tabs, instead of two, etc.). Without a Data Slider, that looks like a GUI nightmare to me.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:
GregC wrote:

I think so too, but the equation for me is both midi and audio recording as well as main unit. If to leave computer realm.

. Smile

if audio recording and midi tracks is your top requirement, Kronos is def your board.

I have +80 originals, 100% Kronos, using the SEQ. IMO, there is nothing better for work flow. You can be highly productive with Kronos standalone.

You can always do a hybrid with a DAW for recording, too, if you need to.

DaVinci: " simpllicity is the ultimate sophistication"
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
GregC wrote:

Perhaps the dark background is appealing, but it's smaller than Kronos' (7" versus 8") and you have to press harder. The Loopop, and other videos, make it look cumbersome. I don't like the extra button pushing, either (Main modes, 8 tracks instead of 16 visible, one row of tabs, instead of two, etc.). Without a Data Slider, that looks like a GUI nightmare to me.

I am not in a hurry to dislike Nautilus for certain differences to Kronos.

I don't believe Nautilus will exactly appeal to todays Kronos owners. Many opinions here seem to initially support my statement.

Nautilus is likely to appeal to non Kronos owners. Fair guess that was Korgs product plan.

About the 7" Nautilus display, I am not quick to judge or agree based on 2 or 3 opinions on YouTube .

MODX Display is far better , and I can compare it directly to my Kronos 88.

Like I mentioned, if Nautilus display spec is close to MODX display spec, its a keeper.

And my reading vision strength is poor. I struggle with Kronos LCD, certain screens, but I have adapted long ago.

Yes, I saw the navigation quirks by mr pop. I don't believe thats a show stopper.

Its hard to believe Korg would blow it on the Nautilus Display spec. Its possible, but I am staying open minded.
average_male

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today’s word of the day is, “focus”. Seems this thread got on a couple of tangents:)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: