Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buy or Not a KRONOS and what version
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J[PT]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Buy or Not a KRONOS and what version Reply with quote

Hello All from Portugal.

I'm a 39Y musician that start playing keyboards since the age of 4Yo.

I'm looking to buy a new keyboard but i'm having many questions and doubts about it.

I'm a korg user but in the arrangers versions (Korg PA4x / PA1000) i sold my PA1000 because it was redundant to have both pa4x and pa1000.

I have also other keyboards/workstation: Roland FA08, Yamaha MODX, Yamaha MOXF, Alesis Fusion 8, etc...

Being a piano player and playing with band's and artists that predominantly play cover music (Rock / Pop / Latin style) i was looking to buy a KRONOS to be my main board on stage (and if possible the only)

The question is what version Kronos 88 LS, Kronos 88 RH3 or Kronos 73 RH3. Most of the shows here are from 3 to 4hr playing with 10 minutes break, and in the summer it about 60 to 70 Shows in June, July, August, September (most cases 4 shows a week).

My first thought it was the 88 LS, in latin style music there ara a lot of fast keyboard riffs of Brass, some reed instruments like Accordeons and lead sounds, but i'm affraind of loosing the touch of a nice piano and the RH3 keybed.

Also i saw that Nautilus is on it's way to stores, does it worth going to the Nautilus over a KRONOS, does it worth buying a Kronos in 2020/21?

In a Live situation my goal if i buy a Kronos is to also run some audio tracks with metronome to the band thru the extra outputs.

Thanks in advance and sorry for so many questions but there is no better place to put all my doubts than here and listen from the people who use this board extensively.

Smile
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the feel of the keys, I personally prefer a heavier action for more control. So I would recommend the RH3 over the lighter LS. I can play as fast as I want on the RH3, be it piano, synth or organ stuff.

The best would be for you to try them in stores but I understand it might currently be impossible given the global pandemic. In any case, yes the Kronos is still a great machine today. YMMV
tunaman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, if it is not a problem to transport the 88 key model (weight) you would be better off with the extra real estate (keys). I have two 73s now, but I had an 88 for a while and the extra keys allowed more freedom for more complex splits and zoning.

The keyboard action is the same between the 73 and 88 - the only way to get the softer ‘organ/synth’ action is by opting for the 61, which IMHO isn’t sufficient as a primary stand-alone board.

You can use a controller, or other MIDI-enabled keyboard, to provide the softer action when necessary. I’m doing so with a Triton Extreme 61 which I already had - I merely connect it via MIDI out to MIDI in and route my organ and synth parts to that channel.

I would suggest finding a lightly used K2, or buying new if necessary, over getting a LS. Due to the complexity, I suspect, there are a number of K2s on the market which are barely broken in.

Seeing what they did with the Nautilus, I don’t feel that it would serve the purposes of live performance very well, as compared to the Kronos.

Good luck whatever you decide. The Kronos is a beast and is very capable of being the only board needed to cover any live performance needs IMHO.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have a lot of gear, esp if you are hauling multiple keyboards to gigs

plus I am skeptical if gigs will begin this summer, esp with c-19 raging.

if your country has conquered the pandemic, scratch my remark.

Kronos or Nautilus can easily handle possible gig requirements.

thus I can't offer much in 'opinion' since I can't tell what your plan is. I sometimes think
that some musicians are not careful planners with new expensive purchases. I am in the organized and careful with $$ camp. Thus my remarks to your bigger picture.

finally, did you see this sticky and YT video ?
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=123682
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running that many gigs, it's good to keep a second keyboard as backup, just in case something happens to the main keyboard, be it Kronos, or whatever. The second keyboard doesn't have to be a Kronos, unless you are going to rely heavily on specific sounds and features.

tunaman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

We already have some lined up as soon as the weather warms down here. Many places are not as locked down as it is up north.

voip wrote:
Running that many gigs, it's good to keep a second keyboard as backup, just in case something happens to the main keyboard, be it Kronos, or whatever. The second keyboard doesn't have to be a Kronos, unless you are going to rely heavily on specific sounds and features.

Great point - that's another good reason I like running my TeX up top, just in case.
J[PT]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:

Usually with band or artist i use two keyboards, one 88 piano action and a 61 Synth Action at big events (outdor, arenas, ...) I also have a basic session (very basic) in my macbook (with mainstage) that i always carry arround.

But my goal is to keep things a lot more simple. We have stage crew and roadies so carrying around between gigs and shows is problematic. (only during rehearsal between studio<->home it could be a little problematic)

But my goals is only one board (Kronos) and have the power of multiple outputs, audio track support, and be able to route everything at will.

GregC wrote:

In here (Portugal) we have a lot of restrictions but there are a lot of events that are scheduled to start March / April, bigger sessions are going to be small and multiple times/days.

Thank you all for your thoughts and "wisdom"... it ill be a hard decision, choice and path to me.
tunaman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If and when you make the decision, I’m certain you won’t regret it.

If you need more encouragement, and aren’t familiar, look up videos of Jordan Rudess in Dream Theater to see how amazing the Kronos can be in the hands of a skilled performer.

As Jordan says, he generates everything you hear which isn’t guitar, bass, drums or vocals.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree , either board has similar/basic sound engine strengths.

it would reasonable for Nautilus to be attractive to the non-Kronos owner, esp when looking at the price

stepping away from Kronos, we could have that discussion. I believe that was Korgs thinking, a new w/s model for the non Kronos owner.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that 12 years ago I would have not bought a 12 years old music workstation.
Except if it has a specific sound (Moog, Prophet etc)

☀️

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Hector Space

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do (or did before Covid!) cover band gigs at hotels, clubs and holiday complex in the UK.
Because I’m not a great fan of the RH3 or the weight of a K2 88, I took a different approach:-
I use a K2 61 and drive it from either a Casio Privia PX5S or Roland RD2000 via usb midi. This gives me all the power of the Kronos in a manageable rig. The PX5s has a pretty good hammer action keybed, great midi controller options and passable emergency sounds should the Kronos fail AND it only weights 10kg! Likewise the Roland RD2000 has an exceptional keybed (PHA50) great midi controller options and a very good sound set.

I moved from the Kurzweil Forte to the Kronos two years ago. Although it was quite an uphill struggle to get what I wanted out of the Kronos after using the Kurzweil for 4 years, it was worth it in the end. The Kronos is massively flexible, sound great and it’s software is rock solid.

So I use combis exclusively on the Kronos, my rig also adds a second volume pedal and foot switch for rotary. I do use the CX3 although of all the stuff on the Kronos, it was the hardest to get programmed right.
BTW I always use a UPS, because at the end of the day the Kronos is a computer.. better safe than sorry.

Would I buy a Kronos now? If I had the gigs yes definitely, there is nothing to touch it as an all round stage machine. Set list mode is utterly brilliant for coordinating all those fast rig setup changes you need between numbers... especially when the singer changes her mind, or there are people up dancing. You do not want any gaps!
J[PT]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hector Space wrote:
I do (or did before Covid!) cover band gigs at hotels, clubs and holiday complex in the UK.
Because I’m not a great fan of the RH3 or the weight of a K2 88, I took a different approach:-
I use a K2 61 and drive it from either a Casio Privia PX5S or Roland RD2000 via usb midi. This gives me all the power of the Kronos in a manageable rig. The PX5s has a pretty good hammer action keybed, great midi controller options and passable emergency sounds should the Kronos fail AND it only weights 10kg! Likewise the Roland RD2000 has an exceptional keybed (PHA50) great midi controller options and a very good sound set.

I moved from the Kurzweil Forte to the Kronos two years ago. Although it was quite an uphill struggle to get what I wanted out of the Kronos after using the Kurzweil for 4 years, it was worth it in the end. The Kronos is massively flexible, sound great and it’s software is rock solid.

So I use combis exclusively on the Kronos, my rig also adds a second volume pedal and foot switch for rotary. I do use the CX3 although of all the stuff on the Kronos, it was the hardest to get programmed right.
BTW I always use a UPS, because at the end of the day the Kronos is a computer.. better safe than sorry.

Would I buy a Kronos now? If I had the gigs yes definitely, there is nothing to touch it as an all round stage machine. Set list mode is utterly brilliant for coordinating all those fast rig setup changes you need between numbers... especially when the singer changes her mind, or there are people up dancing. You do not want any gaps!

thats what i think... even with 11/12 years in the market i dont see any other workstation doing what kronos does (according to specs). except if i go live gigging with computer (Macbook) and some keyboards/controlers. Setlist mode is a great value resource, the capacity to add music notation or any other notes.

The ability to run audio tracks and routing multiple outputs is also a big must for me.

On stage on bigger shows (4Hour's with 60 to 70 songs, some medleys) i use two keyboars, plus an ipad to run audio tracks (Multracker app) connected to a audio interface with 4 outputs thru camera connect kit. and all of this goes to my 8 Channel DI before sending it to stagebox and and then to the frontmix.

It's not a big problen and i've managed to play like this the last 4 years, but i'm seeking something to really simplify all of this, and KRONOS/Nautilus maybe are the thing to go. (then is just a matter of choice if RH3 is not to hard to play 4hr strait in multiple days shows.)

Thank you all again
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J[PT] wrote:
[quo

thats what i think... even with 11/12 years in the market i dont see any other workstation doing what kronos does (according to specs). except if i go live gigging with computer (Macbook) and some keyboards/controlers. Setlist mode is a great value resource, the capacity to add music notation or any other notes.

The ability to run audio tracks and routing multiple outputs is also a big must for me.

in[/quote]

I like to analyze, and weigh out pro's and con's of expensive keyboards.

Nautilus has set list, no diff from Kronos

anyway, if I were you, I would ask tough questions. with that, there are no easy answers to some.

Kronos is 10 years old. Will Korg EOL it late this year or in 2022 ? If you spend $3000 on Kronos will an EOL decision bother you ?

Thats 1 example of a tough question.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Buy or Not a KRONOS and what version Reply with quote

J[PT] wrote:
Also i saw that Nautilus is on it's way to stores, does it worth going to the Nautilus over a KRONOS, does it worth buying a Kronos in 2020/21?

In a Live situation my goal if i buy a Kronos is to also run some audio tracks with metronome to the band thru the extra outputs.

There's one point to consider too : despite its high price, the Nautilus keyboard has no aftertouch, the Kronos does (except LS version). In a live situation this point can be important.

Nowadays, Korg seems to be unable to produce new keyboards with aftertouch, I don't know why ! Even the Nautilius 88, more than 3,000 €, doesn't have Aftertouch !!

So, If you want to keep a good synth expressivity, you'd better choose an aftertouch-able keyboard, as Kronos.

You could have a look to Roland Fantom, too.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO I think the aftertouch is directly linked to a kind of style of playing synths straight out of the 70s from the far away last century.

Nowdays we can all make it better with the joystick of the Kronos in another way. Even if it's different.

☀️

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: