Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dual Keyboard wiring Snake Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddavis539

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Dual Keyboard wiring Snake Question Reply with quote

Hello, I'm a new Korg owner, and new to the forum.

I just picked up a Korg 61 to work as the top board on my rig (I've already been performing with the Nord Stage 3).

I'm building a custom pedal board that will be prewired with high-quality custom cables in a snake that will run up the stand and fan out to both keyboards for faster setup/teardown.

One of the goals for the pedalboard is to make it as flexible as possible for the various Venue situations I've encountered . I have two stereo DI Boxes (Radial D2 & JDI) mounted at the bottom, to provide for isolated keyboard feeds for FOH. From there the thru cables will go into a Key Largo mixer which will mix the feed into a personal amp, enable a mixed signal for the FOH, which could also accommodate a 3rd keyboard and/or VST sounds from a computer.

I'm having trouble deciding whether to use TRS or TS cabling for the Korg signal in the snake. I've seen an earlier post where radial indicated that it doesn't matter, even though the DI expects a TS cable. I'm leaning towards using the TRS since if in the future I want to change the configuration and bypass the DI box.

I'm also not sure about the smaller run between the stereo DIs and the key largo, if those should be TS or TRS. The Nord is unbalanced, so that will be TS.

Those 4 cables will be combined as a mini snake, long enough to lift the key largo from the pedal board to a small stand to the side of the lower keyboard to make it easier to tweak the levels during a sound check.

In a live situation have any of you noticed any difference connecting the Korg using TS vs TRS through a DI?
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned 2 DI boxes, I’m assuming one for each KB. Personally I prefer to send the FOH only one line that is a mixed signal of both my KBs. I’m not comfortable trusting a sound man to know what balance between two, or more KBs is what I want coming out of the main system. I’ll do my own mix and if the balance is wrong...it’s my fault not the sound guys.
Sweat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same Radial DIs, and use TRS cables wherever possible. Although, I have also used TS cables occasionally with no noticeable difference as long as the cables were less than 20' feet.

I also agree with Falcon. And as long as your using the KeyLargo, there is no need to use the other DIs.
ddavis539

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll just by pass the independent DIs. Based on the gigs I've played so far, it would be pretty rare to find a venue wanting 2 set of stereo lines fo keyboard anyway.

I'll just use a separate 4 channel snake to go straight into the key largo with enough play to place it on the pedalboard, or have it next to the keyboard depending on the situation. I'll just keep the audio out of the rest of the pedalboard snake.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Keyboard wiring Snake Question Reply with quote

ddavis539 wrote:
Hello, I'm a new Korg owner, and new to the forum.

I just picked up a Korg 61

Hello,

Perhaps, the first thing you should have told us is : what Korg 61 did you purchase ? Krome ? Kross ? Kronos ? Nautilus ? An arranger ?
samriccijr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All!

I use two 1/4 in cables, 4 ft long. One comes from each keyboard to dedicated DIs that sit on my keyboard amp, in front of my keyboard stand, angled towards the drummer. Two 1/4 in cables, 6 in long, finish at my keyboard amp. The sound man takes xlr from there.

Mono works 95% of the time.

My setup, with two keyboards, power, audio, DI, sustain pedals and iphone, takes under 10 minutes.

I find that the stage levels can be very different from FOH and live stream, so I let the sound man handle that.

Sam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: