Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Repair Advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
witmer26

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Repair Advice Reply with quote

Hi. My Kronos has been sent to authorized centers five times, who couldn't repair the issue. The issue is that it stops around the s 1/4 of the way through loading. When I connect it to an amp I can hear the hard drive making a scraping noise.

I have checked the following:

1) Loose screws in system
2) Ram is plushly installed
3) Checked that fan is working
4) Checked for loose wires / connections / grounding strips intact
5) Checked gold pin integrity.
6) Checked for general damage
7) Reformated harddrive

I have also replaced the SATA cable and under the guidance of my repair shop had the whole motherboard replaced. Nothing helps.

Where do I go from here? The last thing I can think to do is to replace the hard drive (which I advised the repair shop of first but they denied was the issue). If I cannot get the original hard drive to load, however, then I cannot mirror it to install a new hard drive, correct? Is this a catch 22?

Thanks,
|Mark
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

When you mention hard drive, you mean a SSD, correct ? Because a normal Kronos has a SSD, not a hard disk. For sure, the scraping sound you hear at the start can not come from a SSD, as it has no movable part.

About cloning, it will be easy to do if the SSD works fine, but you will have to connect it to an outside machine like a PC. Clonezilla works very well for this and is free. At the same time, if the PC sees the SSD and you can clone it, it will prove that it is not the problem.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Repair Advice Reply with quote

witmer26 wrote:
Hi. My Kronos has been sent to authorized centers five times, who couldn't repair the issue.

Are they not able to reproduce the failure?
Or are they giving back to you simply saying, "Sorry, we can't fix it?"

Mine was having intermittent failures with the common "An error has occurred..." message. The repair shop said they couldn't reproduce the issue, until I convinced them to just leave the machine powered on overnight for a few days. They finally reproduced the issue, and replaced both the motherboard and the power supply board... still under warranty at that time.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Repair Advice Reply with quote

witmer26 wrote:
Hi. My Kronos has been sent to authorized centers five times, who couldn't repair the issue. The issue is that it stops around the s 1/4 of the way through loading. When I connect it to an amp I can hear the hard drive making a scraping noise.

I have checked the following:

1) Loose screws in system
2) Ram is plushly installed
3) Checked that fan is working
4) Checked for loose wires / connections / grounding strips intact
5) Checked gold pin integrity.
6) Checked for general damage
7) Reformated harddrive

I have also replaced the SATA cable and under the guidance of my repair shop had the whole motherboard replaced. Nothing helps.

Where do I go from here? The last thing I can think to do is to replace the hard drive (which I advised the repair shop of first but they denied was the issue). If I cannot get the original hard drive to load, however, then I cannot mirror it to install a new hard drive, correct? Is this a catch 22?

Thanks,
|Mark

did you buy your K , new ?

If so, you should gripe to your retailer and or country distributor

You will need proof of purchase.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Repair Advice Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
did you buy your K , new ?

If so, you should gripe to your retailer and or country distributor

You will need proof of purchase.

Agreed. An authorized service center should not be telling you that they can't fix it. The things you listed are stuff the service center should have tried.

If you really have to go it alone, the next thing I would try is re-flashing the subsystem firmware and updating the OS as described here:
https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/0/424/#software
You'll need to know if you have the older Kronos/Kronos X, or the newer Kronos 2. They have different motherboards, so require different OS and firmware.

If you didn't buy it new... did it ever work for you?
If it is hanging in the same place every time, I tend to suspect corrupted or incorrect subsystem firmware. Maybe someone tried flashing it with the wrong version. But an authorized service center should have the debug tools and software to figure any of that out, or if they're really stumped they could send it back to Korg for repair at the factory.
KingKronos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be pulling my hair out if my Kronos acted like that. Like xenophile says, probably best to start from scratch and restore it using DVDs as described. I'd get a large new SSD so you'll have plenty of space for the future.

You'll need your re-authorization # as well. Hopefully you officially registered your Kronos online.
aloirmolin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be a peripheral that is causing conflict, try disconnecting all cables, and connectors, usb, in short, everything that is connected to it, can only connect the headphones, so you rule out the possibility of being a peripheral that is causing conflict.
2x Yamaha Hs8 2x Yamaha Hs5
Mesa Behringer Q1002USB
Placa M-Audio FastTrackPro
PC- I7 9700k SSD 2Tb
Controlador Alesis QX49
Sybthogy Ivori Grand Pianos
Sybthogy Ivori American Grand
Sybthogy Ivori Upright Pianos
Sybthogy Ivori Italian Grand
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: