Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volume difference from Program to Combi .?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:11 am    Post subject: Volume difference from Program to Combi .? Reply with quote

trying to figure out why when I make my own Combis , they are not near as loud in Volume as most factory Programs ..??

Master Volume on Combi - up , individual sounds = up , IFX Comps or Eqs - up ... but the Combi's aren't as loud as most Programs ..??

Thanks for any suggestions ..!! trying to get some more 'dynamics' out of my Combi patches ... many are for Left hand bass , Right hand piano/ep ,... other parts coming in via expression pedal ..

Dave C.
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought is to deep dive into the effects. There are lots of parameters that can affect volume (e.g. EQ Trim, Trim, Output Level, Wet/Dry %, ...). Check whether the effects are chained together - volume increases in chained effects can be additive.

You can ensure a Program's effects are brought into a Combi intact by using "Copy From Program".

A general comment is when you add multiple Programs (Timbres) to a Combi and play them at the same time, the distinctness and loudness of each individual timbre is often reduced in the audio output you hear due to the mixing/overlapping of frequencies. Panning and effects like Stereo Compressors, EQs, etc. can help to separate and retain the distinctness of each individual sound.

I really like the St. Amp Simulation (Amplifier Type 6L6) effect to add some thickness and punch - it works well for many sounds, especially synths and basses.
davc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will definitely check on the 'Copy from Program ' ... but I remember trying that and the effect slots quickly filled up as some sounds used several effects ?

what would be best effect to ad clean Gain using the MFX slot ..? tried some of the preamps , but they color the sound ( might need to tweek them ) ...

tried EQ's , but there Trim is maxed , ad getting a level boost is strange .!?

Master Limiter isn't adding Gain ...

Comps might work , but then I'm loosing more dynamic range ..?

need a clean boost, and something to level the output from Combi to Combi.

thanks for the suggestions ..!! Dave C.
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rom the name, you might think a compressor would squash the sound (which it does for loud sounds), but more accurately what it does is make "loud sounds softer and soft sounds louder." It can bring out the detail, and it can help balance the dynamic amplitude across instruments routed to the same compressor (adding a sort of production-like 'ducking' effect) and generally avoid internal clipping. It is a versatile effect which also provides low and high eq and output level parameters.

I usually reserve both IFX1 and IFX2 to use Stereo Compressor. For drum kit programs I set "DKit" for panning and for IFX routing, which typically use IFX1 and IFX2. I can also route other programs to share IFX1 and IFX2.

So that leaves IFX 3,4, and 5 available. Those I use for single instrument effects like Delay, Ensemble, Autopan, Rotary, Flange, etc.

Some timbres I may simply leave at L/R with no IFX routing (I let the MFXs do the work). For these cases, I may need to increase the level in the Mixer tab for these L/R timbres to keep up with the output level of timbres routed to IFXs.

I typically set MFX1 to Stereo Chorus or St. Amp Simulation, and MFX2 to a Reverb. Then I adjust how much to Send to MFX1 and MFX2 effects from the Insert FX tab (or the Routing tab if L/R) for each instrument.

That's my typical initial setup, then it's a matter of listening to all the timbres in combination and iterating on adjusting the levels, effects parameters, and routings until it all sounds reasonably decent!
davc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops .. i meant the TFX slot ... the last of the fx ...

i usually have a Comp on mfx 1 , verb on mfx 2 ...

hoping to use the tfx slot to help boost / level out Combis ...

all left hand bass Combi patches for duo ... usualy a couple stacked bass sounds into ... Comp , Amp Sim ...

then various keys for right hand ,... using different fx , comp , eq , chorus , verbs , etc ...

all panned hard Left / Right into mixer to process Bass / Keys parts separately ... PA in mono

also supplementing Krome EX sounds/combis with an old Roland Sonic Cell module ... more bass/keys layers ... as i was running out of poly on Krome EX ... thinking of replacing that with a Dexibell SX7 module .?!?
davc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting a better grip on how the ' St Master Limiter ' in the TFX slot , has helped quite a bit ..

as does Copy from Program ,... but IFX slots get used up quickly with multi layered Combis ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: