Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Running Korg Kronos Editor 3.1 64-bit in Garagaband

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jellywhale

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Running Korg Kronos Editor 3.1 64-bit in Garagaband Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm new here and I'd like to ask your help with running the Korg Kronos plugin in Garageband.

When I try to access the plugin through Garageband in the plugin menu, I get the "MQ/UQ Plugin Error - Failed to create bundle for the plugin". I could not find any discussions on this error on the internet.

I'm running it on MacBook Pro (Early 2015) with macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6 and trying to work on Korg Kronos 2. The Garageband is version 10.3.5, the Korg Kronos Editor 3.1 is the 64-bit version.

I am sorry if this is a very basic quesiton, but I've been trying to solve the problem for days now and I just cannot do anything about it. I will be very grateful for any advice!

Thank you very much,
V.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using the editor as a standalone app instead of a plugin.
It should work alongside Garageband as a seperate entity.
JWLBOYCE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm really sorry but I am having the same problem too. I've been trying for hours to get the sounds from my Kronos to appear in Garageband.

I have exactly the same equipment, and have got my Korg plugged into my computer via USB. I can record audio tracks in Garageband, but I can't get the Midi tracks to use the sounds from the Korg.

I've tried the plug-in function in Garageband, but get the same message as listed above. I've tried recording a midi track with a standard GarageBand instrument, then opening the Korg Editor. I've also tried recording midi tracks with the Editor open, but I don't seem to be able to manage it.

I know it is probably a really simple fix, but I have absolutely no idea what else to try.

If there is any possibility that someone could please post me a really basic step by step guide of how to get the Korg sounds to be played on the midi tracks in Garageband I'd really appreciate it. I'm not the most technical person and am a pretty new Korg owner. I absolutely love it, and I feel that this would make my Korg experience even better.
tunaman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly question... you’re plugged into the USB-B port?
JWLBOYCE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your reply.

Not a silly question at all - I'm actually plugged into my computer's USB-B port using the USB-A port on the Kronos. Could this be the reason it isn't working?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be USB-A port on the computer to the Kronos USB-B port. Make sure that the Korg MIDI drivers are installed first. Garageband will then need to be configured to use the Kronos as a MIDI device. It should also show up as a USB audio device.

The other way round won't work. The Kronos' USB-A port is intended for storage devices, QWERTY/AZERTY keyboard, or to host "class compliant" MIDI devices, such as the Korg nanoPAD2.

tunaman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
It should be USB-A port on the computer to the Kronos USB-B port. <clip>

Just to be pedantic, it MUST be plugged into the USB-B port Smile voip is absolutely correct.
JWLBOYCE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make absolutely sure I've got it in my head (as I said, I'm not the most technical so want to make sure my terminology is correct)...

This is the kind of cable I'm using at the moment, with the rectangular end plugged into the computer and the square end into the Kronos.
*** I appreciate this is different to what I said above, but I think I was confusing USB-B and USB-A hence the square and rectangular description.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Printer-Cable-6FT】USB-Braided-Scanner-Grey/dp/B08DHZ11ZX/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=usb-b+cable&qid=1616163849&s=computers&sr=1-6

Am I correct in thinking that this is the connection that you have described voip?

I can record Audio tracks in Garageband, but can't access the Midi sounds in the same way that I can with other plug ins
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your connection seems to be as I described it i.e. rectangular USB-A end of cable into the PC/Mac, and the square USB-B end into the Kronos.

However, in the Garageband getting started guide, there is no mention of Garageband being able to control an external tone generator, such as the Kronos, via MIDI data sent from the Mac. I am surprised by this, but have no experience of Garageband, so maybe someone will come along and clarify matters further.

It is certainly possible in other software, e.g. in Ableton Live, the user creates one or more MIDI tracks that can be used to play Kronos Programs or Combis. For Combis, the MIDI tracks need to be assigned MIDI channels which then play the various timbres in the Combi.

JWLBOYCE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi voip,

Thanks for checking the Garageband guide. Just to clarify if there are any Garageband experts that may help:

As well as using Garageband to record Audio tracks with the Korg, another thing that I have managed to do is set GarageBand to record a midi track, using the Korg as the input device.

In the past I have used the standard Garageband Midi sounds, but I have recently found out that I can use the 'Plug-ins' function in Garageband to make the Garageband Midi tracks use midi instruments from other midi libraries (eg. Sampletank). However, when I select the Kronos Plug-in in GarageBand I get the same message shown in the very first post of this thread.

I'm sure it is just me being dumb, but I have opened the 'Kronos Editor' and run it at the same time as Garageband, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the Midi tracks. I'm using a Mac and believe that the Kronos Editor also serves as the Plug-in for Garageband, but it would seem that I don't know how to link the Editor to Garageband - that seems like the final piece of the puzzle!
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWLBOYCE wrote:
I can record audio tracks in Garageband, but I can't get the Midi tracks to use the sounds from the Korg.

This is a limitation of Garageband. It doesn't send MIDI out to other instruments. MIDI tracks can only be played back on GB's own virtual instruments.
JWLBOYCE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response, although I'm slightly confused as to why the Kronos Editor Manual mentions being able to export some Midi files for use in GarageBand?
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWLBOYCE wrote:
Thank you for your response, although I'm slightly confused as to why the Kronos Editor Manual mentions being able to export some Midi files for use in GarageBand?

You can created a MIDI sequence in the Kronos, export it as an SMF and import the file to GarageBand. However, those MIDI tracks will only play back on internal GB instruments. So the manual is correct, you can use the files in GB, just not the way you were thinking.

My foggy memory seems to think there may be a hack that can be used to make GB send MIDI out. I'm not sure, though. Try google.
JWLBOYCE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah perfect, that makes a lot of sense now.

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to explain, I really appreciate it - you have saved me many hours of searching and frustration.

I'll have a google for sending Midi out from GB.

Hope you have a great day!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: