Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latency in new sample sound

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loiscr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Latency in new sample sound Reply with quote

Hello. Is there a way to fast-forward the samples when hitting a key?

I have imported some piano samples into the Kronos and they work fine but have a bit of latency. When you press the key it doesn't sound immediately. It is very little, it is almost not noticeable but you can feel it.

I guess the person who sampled it recorded each note a little late or didn't remove the pre-silence time or something like that, I don't know I've never sampled.

I have looked at the filter envelope and the attack is at zero.

Is there a way to make the samples play from a slightly later point? Something like a negative attack. Or maybe you could tweak the samples and trim and remove the first 100 milliseconds?

Any ideas? Thanks!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there and welcome to the forum,

Assuming you play the new piano sounds in a HD-1 engine program, make sure also that the amplitude envelope attack parameter is at 0 for all OSCs. Also, even though unlikely make sure that the delay parameter is at 0 for both OSCs under the OSC1 Basic and OSC2 Basic tabs.

Otherwise, samples are faulty and need to be modified. This can only be done in Sampling mode in the Kronos (or in an external program). If so, it might imply a lot of work because piano sounds usually have many samples, so IMHO not worth the trouble.
loiscr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!! I Will check that parameters and i Will tell you, but i think that parameters are ok.

Is not there a way to say to Kronos the time point from what reproduce a sample??

And what pc software would be good to reapair the samples??
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello loiscr,

Supposing that samples indeed have a little silent portion at their beginning, you could either edit them with the Kronos in Sampling mode. Functions like Cut and Truncate will do the job, but you have to define where the cutting/truncating is happening in each sample.

It's rather easy to do after you experimented with the Sampling mode basics in your Kronos, but also it depends how many samples you have. Good acoustic piano multisamples use one sample per key (so 88 possibly) and this at several velocities for each one. So imagine having to correct 88 X 4 (or 8 or more !) samples, it is going to take several hours. On the other hand, it is always rewarding to do such work and you will also end up mastering this aspect of your Kronos once all done. I actually like the Sampling mode in Kronos and use it often.

Another approach is to edit the samples in a software. I personally prefer WaveLab for this but there are also good freeware like Audacity and others. Maybe there is even some computer program who can do this automatically (cut silence at beginning of samples) but I don't know of any. Maybe someone else here knows about such a thing and will chime in.

Remember though that once you edited your samples in an external program, you still have to import them in the Kronos. There are software who do this automatically but results are not always correct, especially with multisamples split in different velocity layers (like most acoustic piano multisamples). For precise and reliable results, you have to import them manually. Again, it all depends how many individuals samples there are and how much work you want to put into this. Wink
loiscr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the samples folder there are .ksf files and .kmp files. Which one contains the samples to trim?
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Kronos HD/Samples folder there are 2 KSC files YourPiano_UserBank.KSC and YourPiano.KSC , click on second and load it in "clear mode" ,
this will load only your piano samples and multisamples in Ram mode where you can edit them.
In sampling mode , click on every multisample (piano velocity layer) only on -L if stereo and both will be edited , in every sample you will press
on keybed you will edit it at loop mode , check "zero" point square , remove relative silence up to desired point and truncate every sample.
You have to repeat procedure for every single sample of all paired multisamples and at finish "Save only sampling Data" at the same folder.

You can also edit samples with external editor like ESC after exporting all multisamples if you own just unaddressed samples , as KK said but
you must have some knowledge of this job so I highly recommend to use carefully Kronos editor .

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
loiscr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers, I will try!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: