Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos 88 LS????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wocongming

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Korg Kronos 88 LS???? Reply with quote

Guys. i already have 2 Kronos 88. but am looking in to buying the LS 88 cause of it being so much lighter. Cant find it ANYWHERE in my local stores so i can try it to make sure i like the light action on it. Can anyone here who has played one tell me if its a springy action , like an organ, where when you hold a note down it feels like it wants to spring up? or if it has like a soft bottom action llike the old Triton Pro where when you hold it down, it doesnt want to fight to go back up? anyone? thanx
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LS weighs in at 39.2 Pounds. The Kronos 88 is 53.13. That's only a 14 pound difference. To my back, that doesn't qualify as "so much lighter." A couple of years ago, I ordered an LS and had it at home trial. I returned it. I just couldn't adjust to the non-weighted touch without significant effort. That's a weakness in my technique, not the instrument.

For me, if I'm going to deal with the size and weight of the LS, the K2-88 isn't that much heavier. I'd rather have the weighted action for a few more pounds.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't gig, but if I had to, I would hire 2 roadies.

Sure, everyone wants to keep every $ from low pay gigs.

Thats what old age does, i don't care about spending $50-$100 on roadies in order to stay comfortable.

But really, there are no gigs here in CA, for over a year. The venues are quiet.

I can't speak for other states. Just the same I haven't noticed anyone bragging about near future gigs, not yet anyway.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I can't speak for other states. Just the same I haven't noticed anyone bragging about near future gigs, not yet anyway.

I don't gig in the traditional sense. I'm a Christian musician playing mainly in churches, camps, retreats, etc. I do solo, one-man-band type gigs. My specialty is smaller venues that can't afford or aren't interested in booking a full band. Here on the east coast, things are slowly beginning to open back up. We're a long way from normal.

I remain very cautious, social distancing, masking and hand washing/sanitizing. I prefer to handle my own equipment. Even under "normal" circumstances, hiring a roadie isn't practical. I'm good with that, but I do try to keep my rig as simple as possible.

The last 2 Sundays, I've had my first gigs since September. I have three coming in the weeks ahead and then nothing until summer. Normally, I would've been scheduled 3 out of 4 weekends.

A couple months ago, I was considering that this season of my life might be over. I have hope that it might actually return. Either way, I'm really appreciating the opportunities I have now, however long they may last.

To the OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread. I hope you get the satisfaction you're looking for from an LS. It just didn't do it for me.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danmusician wrote:
GregC wrote:

I don't gig in the traditional sense. I'm a Christian musician playing mainly in churches, camps, retreats, etc. I do solo, one-man-band type gigs. My specialty is smaller venues that can't afford or aren't interested in booking a full band. Here on the east coast, things are slowly beginning to open back up. We're a long way from normal.

I remain very cautious, social distancing, masking and hand washing/sanitizing. I prefer to handle my own equipment. Even under "normal" circumstances, hiring a roadie isn't practical. I'm good with that, but I do try to keep my rig as simple as possible.

The last 2 Sundays, I've had my first gigs since September. I have three coming in the weeks ahead and then nothing until summer. Normally, I would've been scheduled 3 out of 4 weekends.

A couple months ago, I was considering that this season of my life might be over. I have hope that it might actually return. Either way, I'm really appreciating the opportunities I have now, however long they may last.

To the OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread. I hope you get the satisfaction you're looking for from an LS. It just didn't do it for me.

good you are hanging in. Not familiar with the worship venues, great you have worked out a niche.

i am near several wineries, and have spoken to them, pre-covid. Their attitude is that I have to bring in 50-100 drinkers. All about the $
Docflick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos 88 LS???? Reply with quote

wocongming wrote:
Guys. i already have 2 Kronos 88. but am looking in to buying the LS 88 cause of it being so much lighter. Cant find it ANYWHERE in my local stores so i can try it to make sure i like the light action on it. Can anyone here who has played one tell me if its a springy action , like an organ, where when you hold a note down it feels like it wants to spring up? or if it has like a soft bottom action llike the old Triton Pro where when you hold it down, it doesnt want to fight to go back up? anyone? thanx

I owned a Kronos 2 88 for three years and currently own a Titanium 61. Last year, a local music store had an 88 LS on the floor and I played it for about 30 minutes to test it out. Here's my take: the action offers next to no resistance; it is lighter and has less spring-back than even that the "semi-weighted" keybed of the 61. Plus it has no aftertouch. All in all, I was not impressed – especially given that it is only 14 lbs. lighter than the regular 88. YMMV

In addition, based on threads here and elsewhere, more than a few LS owners have reported sinking keys after a short period of moderate use. So there may be a design issue or QA considerations with the LS action. Something to consider.
Current: Kronos 61 Titanium, Yamaha Montage 6, Roland Fantom, Dexibell Vivo S7 Pro, MPC Live II; Previous: Kronos 73 SE and 2 88, Yamaha Motif 6, XF, EX5, SY77, DX7 (x2), CP33, Roland JP-50, Alesis QS8
wocongming

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos 88 LS???? Reply with quote

Docflick wrote:
wocongming wrote:

I owned a Kronos 2 88 for three years and currently own a Titanium 61. Last year, a local music store had an 88 LS on the floor and I played it for about 30 minutes to test it out. Here's my take: the action offers next to no resistance; it is lighter and has less spring-back than even that the "semi-weighted" keybed of the 61. Plus it has no aftertouch. All in all, I was not impressed – especially given that it is only 14 lbs. lighter than the regular 88. YMMV

In addition, based on threads here and elsewhere, more than a few LS owners have reported sinking keys after a short period of moderate use. So there may be a design issue or QA considerations with the LS action. Something to consider.

thank you for being the one poster who actually understood the main idea of my question which was the action of the LS itself. Ill take that into consideration!
wocongming

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos 88 LS???? Reply with quote

Docflick wrote:
wocongming wrote:

i just finally tried the LS. You couldnt have been MORE WRONG my friend. Its the springiest action i even felt. Its a POS keybed and feels like the keys want to come up while you hold them down. I wouldnt spend $50 on that. Where did you come up with that it WASNT springy? huh?
Docflick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos 88 LS???? Reply with quote

wocongming wrote:
Docflick wrote:
wocongming wrote:

i just finally tried the LS. You couldnt have been MORE WRONG my friend. Its the springiest action i even felt. Its a POS keybed and feels like the keys want to come up while you hold them down. I wouldnt spend $50 on that. Where did you come up with that it WASNT springy? huh?

I'm afraid you completely misunderstood my point. I stated that the LS keyed had no resistance – which I think it what you mean by it being "springy." I said "spring back," which means a typical semi-weighted response – i.e., like the Kronos 61.

We actually are in full agreement on the sub-par nature of the LS action. POS might be a bit strong, but I certainly would not buy it either.
Current: Kronos 61 Titanium, Yamaha Montage 6, Roland Fantom, Dexibell Vivo S7 Pro, MPC Live II; Previous: Kronos 73 SE and 2 88, Yamaha Motif 6, XF, EX5, SY77, DX7 (x2), CP33, Roland JP-50, Alesis QS8
Docflick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos 88 LS???? Reply with quote

wocongming wrote:
Docflick wrote:
wocongming wrote:

I'm afraid you completely misunderstood my point. I stated that the LS action had no resistance – which I think is what you mean by it being "springy." I said "spring back," which means a typical semi-weighted response – i.e., like the Kronos 61.

We actually are in full agreement on the sub-par nature of the LS action. POS might be a bit strong, but I certainly would not buy it either.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trying to define or explain key bed action on line, in words on the internet might be the most imprecise [ or confusing ] way to proceed, IMO.

It is a 95% subjective exercise.

For example, What I dislike about a keyboards keybed action/response might be perfectly ok for someone else.

Whats also almost impossible is that these expensive keyboards can't be found at retail.
In fact, its difficult to find a retail music store that is open, these days, plus their keyboard inventory is limited.

Retailers , most of them, allow a 30 day return option. make sure they cover return shipping
Docflick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true, Greg.

There was a time, not more than 5 years ago, when every major instrument retailer near me had demos of every flagship model. Now, it's rare to see a Montage or even the new Fantom—much less a Kronos 2 or LS—on the floor.

Makes an informed buying decision a bit more difficult—and next to impossible to get the "feel" for an instrument or its action.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: