Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top 50 Most Wanted Enhancements for Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tim.condon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a huge list of suggestions and desired improvements previously compiled here: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=61868&highlight=. It might be worth delving through that list to accumulate other ideas. I certainly still want some of my suggestions implemented (setlist advance mode from any page, click track features, ifx management, etc).

Honestly, though, I think Korg needs a radically different mindset if they're to compete against software-based synthesis in the top end. Competition between hardware and software vendors is common in most tech markets today, and usually the software companies end up trouncing hardware companies (think Google vs. ISPs, Microsoft vs. PC hardware companies, and TV production companies vs. cable TV providers). There are, however, three ways HW companies can win:

1. Build hardware that is specialized enough and/or new enough that it hasn't yet been commoditized and users aren't yet thinking about customization. This was true of early cell phones, standalone gps systems, TVs (prior to smart TVs), old fashioned stereo systems, and (yes) workstation keyboards. This situation rarely lasts, however; eventually the hardware becomes commoditized and users start asking for customization.

2. Hardware companies can convert themselves into platform owners of a curated, extensible walled garden where hardware features and software extensions are tightly integrated, making a better user experience than is possible with generic SW and off-the-shelf hardware. Users can often customize their experience themselves, but any sale of software extensions must both get the approval of the platform owner (to ensure consistent quality) and pay a % of revenue to the platform owner. This is the model used by Apple for iOS devices, and by gaming console HW companies (Ninetendo, Sony, and Microsoft Xbox).

3. HW companies without the scale to achieve (2) can foster a dedicated community of "makers" via open access who drive demand for the product based on customizability and extensibility. In this world, openness and freedom are the driving impetus. Think Arduino, Rasberry Pi, Occulus, Hololens, etc.

Korg has been living in world (1), and the new products they've released recently (such as analog-like synths and stage pianos) generally fall into this mold. If a Kronos successor were to continue in this route, they *must* focus on things that are only possible with dedicated hardware (this is basically the route Nord has taken). This means improved hardware features and build quality, including capacitance touch screen(s), an advanced control surface (infinite rotary controls, motorized faders, LCD labels driven by the selected combi/prog/mode) and/or dedicated hardware controls in the vein of analog synths or the Nord Stage, tight integration, and a holistic approach to UX.

Howver, I think they'd be better off trying to achieve something in the vein of (2) or (3) - for one, it's cheaper, and for two, the growth potential is greater. The key is for Korg to start thinking about Kronos as a platform rather than a device. The "open" part of the OASYS architecture should make this approach viable; the Kronos runs Linux, so much of the ecosystem is already in place. Granting access to the Kronos toolchain and the UI code for modification and redeployment would be revolutionary; imagine all the enhancements we could make to the Kronos just by changing how we interact with the existing engines? Imagine a git depot where Korg accepted user pull requests for new features and changes. I suspect more than half of the community's wish list could be achieved with just UI source access. 

Imagine further Korg also released an API for developing new sound engines on top of the proprietary building blocks used by the built-in engines. Crucially, Korg would still own the platform, so this openness wouldn't cut into their bottom line; you'd still need to buy a Kronos to run the software, but suddenly the community could extend the Kronos without limits. Particularly high quality extensions could be offered for sale - with Korg taking a cut of the profits, since it's their walled garden.

Once Korg starts thinking of Kronos as a platform, they're free to virtualize it, too - whether by releasing a Kronos VST or a competitor *to* VST hosts in the form of an extensible Kronos runtime. Annual HW upgrades to the Kronos become increasingly viable - instead of a new case color, new models could boast real hardware improvements to increase polyphony, sample size, # of effects, etc. Distributed synthesis becomes possible, too; imagine if a Kronos running a 10-program combi could recognize an attached PC running a virtualized Kronos instance, outsource synthesis for half (or more) of the individual progs to the PC, then mix the returned audio channels onboard the Kronos before routing it to the audio outputs? Imagine if VSTs by other vendors running on that PC could appear on your Kronos as another kind of prog to add to combis and setlists and be used transparently with the rest of the Kronos feature set?! This would flip the current model on its head. Instead of a dumb midi controller connected to a smart VST host, this architecture would put the keyboard back in control ...while still allowing augmentation via plugins running in powerful standalone boxes.

So, to restate, my top wishlist item is access to the Kronos tool chain and source code for the UI layer *at least*  - but also preferably an API that wraps the synthesis components so that new engines could be created. And I'd argue this is the *only* way for Korg to compete long-term against software solutions.
RJ Wasinger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject: Post subject: Top 50 Most Wanted Enhancements for Kronos Reply with quote

The ability to save FAVORITES separately in the disk mode save function so they can easily be loaded into programs/combi AFTER CLEARING ALL OTHERE SOUNDS. Unless anyone can tell me an easy way of getting this done. Thanks. .
exsequor699

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the above plus, a faster boot time. Would be cool to load everything (all engines and samples) under 1 minute, at least.
Nebulablack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m new to the forum and a new user so I hope I’m not getting ahead of myself here.

I simple request that I’m surprised I haven’t see yet.

In the next update include the MonoPoly. Why not? It’s already written. They ported over the MS-20 and the Polysix they can easily port over the Monopoly as well in no time at all, the code is already written and ready to go. Users will be happy, it will make the Kronos more desirable, Korg will now be able to compete with Roland who are offering their vintage synths in their hardware now (I have a Jupiter X and it’s amazing), it’s a win/win for everyone involved.

This is their flagship synth, and with the inclusion of the MS-20 and Polysix already in there from the Korg v2 collection, logic dictates it should’ve already been in there as well in the first place to be honest.
Track 7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Korg:

Please update the sequencer so time signatures can be longer than 16 beats. I want to be able to do 17/16 or 19/8, for example, without breaking a measure into two.

Thanks.
PatrickD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear KORG Boss Guys:
What I want is A KRONOS RACK Very Happy
CUBASE 11.5 Halion 6
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickD wrote:
Dear KORG Boss Guys:
What I want is A KRONOS RACK Very Happy

yes, with a 9 inch touch screen like my iPad Wink

and under $500
PatrickD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YUP! Surprised
CUBASE 11.5 Halion 6
randwing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Flip Up or Physical Angle adjustment of Screen Reply with quote

My main gripe is I would like a flip-up or physical angle adjustment of the screen. When using the Kronos in a seated position I find I keep having to lean forward to get a good angle of view on the screen. If the screen could be physically lifted to work at a higher angle that would help.

Some good suggestions in the list below. The sequencer in particular could do with making it easier to use.

kronoskarma wrote:
I agree with the following:

Quote:
1. Piano roll view/editor in sequencer

2. A proper mixdown function in SEQ that lets you mix down the whole song (or partial) to WAV, MP3, M4A, maybe OGG and other popular formats without going into sampling mode. Render direct from SEQ to USB drive in preferred format for easy sharing.

3. Nameable markers in SEQ with a way to jump to them

4. ASIO driver. More USB audio channels if it's possible

5. And my "stretch" wish is wavetable synthesis. I think this could possibly be added to HD-1, and I would think Korg could profitably sell sound packs based on it.

6. Rewrite the user interface to use a modern finger-friendly, iPad-like design.

7. x64 OS

8. More RAM

9. a grid-style pattern editor for creating drum patterns (a la the Krome)

I would add:

10. Add dual arp engine from the Krome/Nautilus in addition to Karma

11. HDMI out or some way to have a dual/larger screen

stix2rob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Please Make us a "KONG" KRONOS! Reply with quote

YES! PLEASE build us a new or upgrade the KRONOS!
I love it so, but,,,

I love what the others have posted and replied, as far as what they'd like to see in the KRONOS for improvements, because I don't have to touch on those requests. I already want all those same features added or changed.

Other things, that I didn't see right off the bat with these requests, was that I would like to be able to record ALL of the 16 timbres/tracks in a combi, simultaneously. Why? Because I perform with my combis and I want to record them as I play them, to the fullest.
I want to be able to easily route all of the timbres/tracks in a combi to a DAW, to my Behringer X32 and through Waves Soundgrid system and Waves Superrack, with each timbre/track on their own channel to individually be able to set their own plugins and various effects, withouth having to do everything at the same time on the same plugins in Waves.

I would like to be able to use a foot control, like a roller, pad, toggle pedal to be able to use in place of using the JS control stick by hand, so I can keep my hands more on the keybed and other controls. I'm used to using pedals, and switches for effects and expression, but I'd like the option to be able to control the JS, as I said, with my feet.

Of course, as stated, more power and RAM, and to be able to max out the keyboard (which is what I end up doing), so I don't have to sacrifice polyphony.
Also, with this, maybe I can load the libraries that I bought from the Kronos web site page I can't put them in now. Not enough resources available.

Along with that power, would be great if Karma Kronos, to that effect was added into the keyboard, because then, we could have more pads, Karma Scenes, Modules and more. Some of us never have enough of what we need. Especially when we play just the KRONOS, alone, live. No other gear.

And yes, an angled forward screen, like previous units would be good too.

A touch pad and a set of Chord pads, like on the Nano Pad 2 built right onto the Kronos surface would be good.

With features like these and all the ones the others mentioned in this thread, then I would never have to look at another keyboard for the rest of my life. This would be the KONG KRONOS for us. Yes! The "KONG" KRONOS!

Extra money you say? I almost don't care what the amount of money I would have to spend on all these improvements! It would be worth it, over and over again! Nothing touches the KRONOS, still, after all this time!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Make us a "KONG" KRONOS! Reply with quote

stix2rob wrote:
YES! PLEASE build us a new or upgrade the KRONOS!

Other things, that I didn't see right off the bat with these requests, was that I would like to be able to record ALL of the 16 timbres/tracks in a combi, simultaneously. Why? Because I perform with my combis and I want to record them as I play them, to the fullest.
e!

good post, thanks

you can copy any combi into a SEQ song, in SEQ mode. And record as you please.

I work 99% in SEQ mode.
Mark vG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the key question would be: What should the Kronos 3 have that let's me decide to sell my Kronos 2 loaded with 150+ custom programs/combi's and some purchased sound packs.

1. Creating programs and combi's like a VST on a laptop. For ergonomic reasons and easier user interface.

2. Creating and auto loading samples/multisamples is way too complex now! This should be a lot easier in the successor of Kronos 2.

3. More synth engines! There are several iPad apps of old Korg jewels. Would love to see these get integrated in the new Kronos. Or maybe even better: can the synth engine run from the iPad instead? So you can leverage the calculation power of the iPad, make updates easier and have the possibility for future expansions.

4. Program/Combi/Sample management in general. Loading PCG's should be easier without the need of overwriting complete banks or reassigning sounds in the Combi's to the actual Program locations.

5. The Kronos remote app on iPad is a great 3rd party app!! I use it a lot for gigs. Set lists are changing all the time. This is a must have for keyboardists in bands that have a big repertoire or for someone who uses multiple combi's for one song. Can you create such an app including extra functionality like: group Combi's in setlist mode, updating firmware, creating backups, share error logs, access internal storage for easy sample/PCG management etc.

6. Increase Polyphony! Several times I had to rebuild sounds in different engines, remove OSC's, reduce effects etc. as too many voices were dropping out. In 2021 it should be possible to make big steps in the electronics making the new Kronos way more powerful.

7. Better/more versatile IFX's and more IFX slots.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be very useful that in the sequencer the measures couter could be viewed in all the sections of the sequencer.
As an exemple. If I want to make automation overdub in an effect section (for instance the compressor), the measures counter don't appear inside the compressor window.
It is an update that could be done very easily.

☀️♫

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
randwing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: HDMI Output to Mirror the Touchscreen Reply with quote

1. HDMI Output to Mirror the Touchscreen
2. Basic compatibility with standard wired/wireless USB mice (click; click and drag, to mirror the touchscreen functions)

The Kronos is too powerful to do everything through a small screen.

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen is fine here, and reading glasses can help with the small screen size, if necessary. It is a bit of a compromise, perhaps. Having a larger cutout, in what is effectively the chassis, to accommodate a bigger screen, would tend to weaken the top extrusion to the point where the Kronos would snap in the middle with even moderately rough handling. The Kronos Editor offers a route to using a mouse and qwerty/azerty keyboard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: