Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh Noes, Joined the Dark Side!! Dammit, I Hate Reverb!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tunaman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Oh Noes, Joined the Dark Side!! Dammit, I Hate Reverb!!! Reply with quote

Well, yesterday I did something I didn’t think I would ever do… I bought a Nautilus! I made the mistake of going on Reverb just to take a look (window shop so to speak), and thought to see if the mysterious Nautilus had actually materialized yet.

Not only had they materialized, but there were already a couple of “mint” used units, and some pretty decent discounts on brand new ones as well.

I got to thinking about it, and I’m currently using an aged LE61 as the upper tier at home, and an equally aged TeX61 as my upper tier for practices and eventual gigs. I midi them both to my K2 73s, so they are only used as midi slaves. For my purposes, I figured I could incorporate a Nautilus as a replacement, and it would also serve as a failsafe backup should I have an issue with the Kronos while gigging.

It didn’t take too much more convincing (I’m pretty easily encouragable Smile ), and a seller had a mint unit, purportedly 2 months old, listed for $1800 and I figured I’d offer $1700 and see if they’d bite.

I got a response back pretty promptly, and they countered with $1750 and I accepted it. The Nautilus should be on its way as I type this, or should be soon, as it is coming from the East Coast.

I look forward to incorporating in into my rig, but I’m ecstatic that I still have my beloved Kronos as my flagship!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics or it didn't happen. Laughing

Beer Beer Beer

Oh and congrats on the purchase !
KingKronos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've been a bad boy.
Naughty naughty, Les.*
You and your Nautilus. Shame.
You've gone to the dark side.

Now that you *do* have a Nautilus on the way...

Will your Kronos and Nautilus share voices now?
It's the Note Receive on the MIDI/MIDI tab in global.
Was always curious about that function.

*Good thing your real name isn't Lester.
tunaman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KK - pics will be posted on Thursday Smile

King - those are questions to be answered pretty quickly… I’m very interested to see what level of integration can be had, and how tough it is going to be to map out voices from my K2 onto the N1.

I pulled down the VNL today and will be spending time over the weekend doing a lot of stare and compare. Anyone here done any of this legwork yet?

I can’t believe I’m actually excited about the prospects, but the fact that I still have my K2 to do the heavy lifting puts me at ease.

Hopefully in the next year or three Kong comes up with the K3 and all will be well.

Note to self - stay the HECK off of Reverb from now on!!!
KingKronos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean about Reverb.
I just impulse bought a Beebo and a Bitstream.

I already have 3 MIDI controllers --
BCR, BCF, and nanoKontrol. Do I need another?
But the Bitstream looks to be the perfect do-it-all.

Hopefully my GAS is pretty satisfied now.
At least I'm not wanting for another synth.

Got GAS? Get a Kronos.... the beano of synths!
tunaman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingKronos wrote:

Now THAT just made me laugh out loud! Very Happy
KingKronos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunaman wrote:
KingKronos wrote:

Now THAT just made me laugh out loud! Very Happy

Hehe, glad you liked the dad joke.
Once in awhile I come up with a non-silly good one.

Permission granted to use in your sig if you want. Laughing
tunaman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First glance yesterday doesn’t look too promising, as the VNL’s didn’t seem to have a lot of similarity, and more importantly I saw the following footnotes related to the piano types:

Code:
* When the instrument is shipped from the factory, these piano types do not sound. The optional NAUTILUS Sound library download is required that will be on sale in the future.

That appears to apply to the German D, Japanese C, Berlin D and Austrian I piano types. Won’t know the impact until I get it and start playing around trying to copy some of my PCG data over, but at very least it looks like some heavy lifting will be in order.

Hopefully the trusty PCG Tools will once again save the day, or at least help ease the load. Kudos, again, to Michael for making that incredible utility!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunaman wrote:
When the instrument is shipped from the factory, these piano types do not sound. The optional NAUTILUS Sound library download is required that will be on sale in the future.

That appears to apply to the German D, Japanese C, Berlin D and Austrian I piano types.

Hi there,

The Nautilus new German piano seems to replace the Kronos older German one. You will surely figure out which one you prefer after some time. The good news is that the Austrian grand was also an option in the Kronos and that you now got the Italian one, which I think sounds very good (I added it when it was on sale). And as you discovered, the bad news is that the Berlin and Japanese gave room to new sounds. Note that if you want to add them to the Nautilus and don't want to pay/wait, you could resample them but it would take time and effort. Finally, some could be interested to hear a comparison between the older and newer German piano versions, for example played by the same short sequence or MIDI file/song.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: