Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB hard drive formatting and use

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich Z

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: USB hard drive formatting and use Reply with quote

OK, I thought this would be something simple to do. I had a spare portable 1tb USB2 hard drive laying around so I wanted to copy a bunch of Kronos specific files onto it for fast and easy access, and also use this drive for periodic backups when needed. So I plugged in the drive and tried to take a look at it on the Kronos. No love there. It actually showed two unidentified drives, which something like only 213 gb available. Nothing was visible concerning any directory structure.

So I read up on it and found that the Kronos is not compatible with NTFS. OK, so I knew I was going to have to reformat it. However, the only options my PCs showed for formatting is either NTFS or exFAT. I had to dig deeper. I found in the Kronos docs that the format has to be either FAT16 or FAT32, and saw that the FAT32 format would be able to handle up to 2TB total storage. From a Windows PC, any FAT32 formatting appears to be limited to only providing media of no more than 32gb. Luckily I had a backup program that said it provides FAT32 for the larger capacity drives, so I used that utility and did the format. Then copied over the files to the newly formatted drive. Again.

Took this over to the Kronos and hooked it up, and STILL getting the same thing I got with that NTFS format. Aarrghhhh...

So obviously I'm doing something wrong here. Has anyone here formatted a 1TB or larger hard drive for use via a USB port on the KRONOS and gotten it to work? And if so, would you mind telling me exactly how you did that?

This hasn't really been a good day for me feeling good about getting this Kronos. I guess the honeymoon is over. Sad
rob_tky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience with this setup, and I did not check any manuals, but few points I'd look at.
Does manual specify any limits on external drive?
Assume you have only 1 partition on the drive?
Did you try formatting on Kronos anyway?
Tried different formatting tool?
Reinitialize drive (try both mbr and gpt)
If 1tb is too large for os, maybe few smaller partitions would work. Not as convenient but could work.
Pedja
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Under the disk option you have utility for disk formatting on Kronos. Try this, to format disk directly on Kronos. If you will succeed I am sure that disk will be readable/writable. Good luck.
My music: https://soundcloud.com/pedjak-1
http://moca.virtual.museum/autogallery2017/autogallery_kalajdzijevic/
http://moca.virtual.museum/dablog/dablog02.htm
http://moca.virtual.museum/autogallery2019/autogallery_kalajdzijevic/
https://www.saatchiart.com/PedjaK
Rich Z

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob_tky wrote:
No experience with this setup, and I did not check any manuals, but few points I'd look at.
Does manual specify any limits on external drive?

I've found references to the max formatted capacity in the Parameter Guide:

FAT16 can format a maximum of 4 Gigabytes. If you are
using media larger than this., use FAT32 format instead.
(FAT32’s the theoretical maximum is 2 Terabytes, or
2,000 Gigabytes.)

I used FAT32 when I formatted the USB drive and selected the WHOLE drive. Seems to me the final formatted capacity was 930gb or so, but I didn't really make note of it exactly.

rob_tky wrote:
Assume you have only 1 partition on the drive?

Well, that is how it was formatted, but the Kronos might be hinting at more than one, since it shows two external drives when I try to select the USB drive.

rob_tky wrote:
Did you try formatting on Kronos anyway?

Yes, I did try that, but it just hosed up the Kronos requiring a power switch reboot. Hung up on a message that said something like "initializing system files". I was REALLY hoping it wasn't wrecking the SSD instead.

rob_tky wrote:
Tried different formatting tool?

I couldn't find anything other than the Acronis True Image program in my own toolbox I used to format the drive. Windows won't do FAT32 natively for a drive larger than 32gb, I believe. I was able to copy files successfully to the formatted USB drive, so the presumption was that the format was OK. Plus it shows as being FAT32 if I remember correctly.

rob_tky wrote:
Reinitialize drive (try both mbr and gpt)

No, didn't try that. Didn't think it would be significant to the actual formatting step. I think at this point I would like to hear from someone else who has actually done this successfully. Surely I can't be the only one in the world to try using a 1tb USB drive?

rob_tky wrote:
If 1tb is too large for os, maybe few smaller partitions would work. Not as convenient but could work.

How large of a drive have people actually been able to successfully use? I have a 32gb memory stick that works just fine, but to break up that 1tb drive into multiple 32gb partitions, well, that would be cruel and unusual punishment for both me AND the Kronos.
Rich Z

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedja wrote:
Hello,
Under the disk option you have utility for disk formatting on Kronos. Try this, to format disk directly on Kronos. If you will succeed I am sure that disk will be readable/writable. Good luck.

As mentioned above, yes I did try that. Was not successful and required a reboot of the Kronos.
rob_tky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was weird you see 1 partition on Windows and 2 on Kronos OS, and that's what MBR/GPT is related to and could be worth trying to flip.
But it's a guess. Hopefully someone with similar setup will comment.
rob_tky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I typed above I realised I have a spare 1TB drive, and out curiosity tried it.
Using my Mac, deleted old partitions and created 1, and formated using ms-dos type (FAT32). It had MBR partition scheme.
Connected to Kronos OK, visible all 1TB or so.
Then I formated it on Kronos - no issue.

It could also be your drive / sata-ide2usb connector hardware compatibility issue
Rich Z

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob_tky wrote:
As I typed above I realised I have a spare 1TB drive, and out curiosity tried it.
Using my Mac, deleted old partitions and created 1, and formated using ms-dos type (FAT32). It had MBR partition scheme.
Connected to Kronos OK, visible all 1TB or so.
Then I formated it on Kronos - no issue.

It could also be your drive / sata-ide2usb connector hardware compatibility issue

Hmm, interesting. Wonder if it has anything to do with the difference in formatting on the Mac as opposed to using a PC? I checked and there are a bunch of standalone third party FAT32 formatting programs available, so maybe I'll look to see if I can find one that claims to be compatible with both Mac and PC and see if I can find one to work for me.

Thanks for taking the time to try this yourself and let me know that it at least SHOULD be possible for me to do.
Rich Z

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I think the suggestion about re-initializing the drive did the trick. When I was initializing it, I noticed that I was asked about the format at that time, so perhaps something is stored in the Master Boot Record concerning the format that baffled the Kronos. Anyway, I formatted the drive on the Kronos, and can still read it from my PC to copy files to it. The Kronos still shows two drives when it sees the USB drive, but the *real* partition has 932gb, so I'm not complaining.

I've been able to read files from it, create a directory, save a couple of sequences to it and then load them back again into the Kronos, so as far as I can tell it's working.

Thanks for the help!
mosspa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Z wrote:
Yes! I think the suggestion about re-initializing the drive did the trick. When I was initializing it, I noticed that I was asked about the format at that time, so perhaps something is stored in the Master Boot Record concerning the format that baffled the Kronos. Anyway, I formatted the drive on the Kronos, and can still read it from my PC to copy files to it. The Kronos still shows two drives when it sees the USB drive, but the *real* partition has 932gb, so I'm not complaining.

I've been able to read files from it, create a directory, save a couple of sequences to it and then load them back again into the Kronos, so as far as I can tell it's working.

Thanks for the help!

For what it's worth to anybody who ends up in this thread. I just successfully formatted a Team Group NMVe 2TB (2 terabytes) M.2 disk contained in a an MOKIN enclosure (from Amazon) using my Kronos 2-61. Here, in detail, is what I did. After putting the M.2 card in the enclosure, I connected the USB cable to a Windows-7 PC. Since this was a new and unused "disk" I initialized it to MBR format. I unplugged the drive from the PC and put it in the right USB slot on the Kronos while it was powered off. I powered on the Kronos and let it boot. I then went into the DISK mode and the Kronos had found the drive and determined it to be unformatted. From the Utility menu I selected "Format" and the Kronos formatted the drive. After the format completed, I checked the drive for errors using the "Check Medium" selection from the utility menu and the Kronos reported back "No errors fixed". selecting the "Media Info" tab then reported the drive to be formatted to 1.9TB. I then created a few directories on the drive and moved a few files to them. Everything went as it should.

For me, this answered a couple of questions that I wasn't able to get answers to using Google searches. (1) I had wondered whether or not the Kronos could deal with 2TB drives, so that I can install an additional internal 2TB SSD once my warranty period runs out. That it had no problem with a 2TB drive connected via USB, suggests to me that it should have no problem with a 2TB drive internally connected through SATA. (2) When I purchased the Team Group M.2 drive and enclosure, I wondered how the Kronos would interact with a large USB SSD drive in terms of speed. I haven't transferred any files of great length yet, but I'm guessing that the Kronos is writing data to the NMVe drive as fast as its USB interface will let it. I'm also guessing that the USB is USB 2.0 given the predominant USB format in 2011 and that the Atom powered x86 system has remained, pretty much, constant since the first Kronos.

I hope this may help someone else.

John
Kurzweil PC3K8 (K2700 on order), Kronos 2 61, M3m, Wavestate, ASM Hydrasynth, Roland SE-02, Roland D-05, Kurzweil K2500RS, Modal Argon8M, Modal Cobalt8M, Waldorf Blofeld. Waldorf Pulse 2, Access Virus TI 61, Kawai K5000, 2x Kurzweil K2000S, about 75 VSTis, and over 12TB Kontakt libraries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: