Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos and Cubase
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel M

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Kronos and Cubase Reply with quote

I am trying to set up my Kronos as an external instrument in Cubase Pro 11. I've downloaded and installed the Korg plugin editor and I've created a Cubase patchscript file that registers as a txt file for the Kronos. I've tried adding it into Cubase to no avail. I've also followed the Cubase tutorial video on adding external instruments, but still, no luck. The Kronos doesn't appear on the list of supported instruments and I have no clue how to add it to said list or if I have the right file type.

Any help here is greatly appreciated!
BlackForest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quickest I could find it this video, however it is in German..

https://youtu.be/aLm-Vu0tedI

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
Daniel M

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed what this guy did, even though I don't speak German, and I got Cubase to recognize the Kronos as an external instrument/plugin, but when I play something on the Kronos, I hear nothing. It's receiving MIDI from the keyboard, but no audio.

For some reason, it shows banks A and U without the little plus sign, which allows you to choose a sound. I can only access the g banks and it still doesn't give me any audio back.

EDIT: I've just looked through the txt file that the plugin editor gave me and the names for each patch start only at the g banks. Everything else doesn't have a name. Not sure how to fix that other than going through and naming each individual patch, but who's got time for that?

[quote="BlackForest"]The quickest I could find it this video, however it is in German..

https://youtu.be/aLm-Vu0tedI[/quote]
mrfudge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this very helpful:

http://soundsofplanet.manifo.com/cubase
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Daniel.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I use a different approach with Cubase and do it old school due to the occasional quirks / bugs /etc. of USB connections and VST plugins.

My audio interface is a Steinberg UR-22, which has MIDI in / out ports and a couple of audio inputs. I take the main outs of the Kronos and go into the audio inputs of the interface, and I connect MIDI in / out of the Kronos to the MIDI inputs of the interface.

The UR-22 has a mix knob that allows balance between the audio coming into the interface (the Kronos audio output) and the DAW (Cubase). This lets me play along with the other tracks in a recording and set the "more me" balance so I can hear the keyboards at the level I want.

For recording, I typically record the MIDI only when tracking. I create a MIDI track in Cubase and point it to the MIDI input from the UR-22. One of the nice things about this approach is that I have zero latency as I play, as the audio of the Kronos is going straight to the UR-22 without any plugins, etc. to introduce latency. In other words, I don't try to monitor the Kronos through Cubase, just the backing tracks.

When I'm ready to playback the MIDI part I recorded, I point the Cubase track to the UR-22, which sends it to the Kronos. That lets me hear what I've recorded. I then either do another take and / or some MIDI editing, and when I have a keeper I then create a stereo audio track in Cubase and point the inputs to the UR-22 audio. I arm the track for record and press the record button. The MIDI is sent to the Kronos, who sends audio to the UR-22, and that's routed to the stereo audio track I'm recording in Cubase.

There's nothing wrong with connecting a keyboard or other audio device to the computer via USB, but I've seen enough trouble over the years (twitchy drivers, sketchy software, a Windows update that suddenly screws you, etc.) that I prefer to go the manual route as there are fewer things to break. The audio quality is the same either way, I just spend less time swearing at the computer (which I already do for a living).

I don't know if have your heart set on making the USB / VST approach work for you, but if it's not playing nice then you can always try this method. It's extremely stable and once set up has fewer vulnerabilities.

Hope this helps.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Daniel M

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Chris. Thanks for this information! It sounds like it works really nicely and has very few issues. I'm not married to the idea of running my Kronos as a VST. I simply thought that was the one way to do it and get everything to work correctly. The only reason I'm not capturing the audio straight from the Kronos is because with my recently built PC, something in the build causes noise which shows up in Cubase recordings and only when the Kronos is plugged in to my Focusrite 6i6 via TRS cables (I'm definitely going to have a computer pro build my next PC). Your method sounds far superior to running the Kronos as a VST.

[quote="ChrisDuncan"]Hey, Daniel.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I use a different approach with Cubase and do it old school due to the occasional quirks / bugs /etc. of USB connections and VST plugins.

My audio interface is a Steinberg UR-22, which has MIDI in / out ports and a couple of audio inputs. I take the main outs of the Kronos and go into the audio inputs of the interface, and I connect MIDI in / out of the Kronos to the MIDI inputs of the interface.

The UR-22 has a mix knob that allows balance between the audio coming into the interface (the Kronos audio output) and the DAW (Cubase). This lets me play along with the other tracks in a recording and set the "more me" balance so I can hear the keyboards at the level I want.

For recording, I typically record the MIDI only when tracking. I create a MIDI track in Cubase and point it to the MIDI input from the UR-22. One of the nice things about this approach is that I have zero latency as I play, as the audio of the Kronos is going straight to the UR-22 without any plugins, etc. to introduce latency. In other words, I don't try to monitor the Kronos through Cubase, just the backing tracks.

When I'm ready to playback the MIDI part I recorded, I point the Cubase track to the UR-22, which sends it to the Kronos. That lets me hear what I've recorded. I then either do another take and / or some MIDI editing, and when I have a keeper I then create a stereo audio track in Cubase and point the inputs to the UR-22 audio. I arm the track for record and press the record button. The MIDI is sent to the Kronos, who sends audio to the UR-22, and that's routed to the stereo audio track I'm recording in Cubase.

There's nothing wrong with connecting a keyboard or other audio device to the computer via USB, but I've seen enough trouble over the years (twitchy drivers, sketchy software, a Windows update that suddenly screws you, etc.) that I prefer to go the manual route as there are fewer things to break. The audio quality is the same either way, I just spend less time swearing at the computer (which I already do for a living).

I don't know if have your heart set on making the USB / VST approach work for you, but if it's not playing nice then you can always try this method. It's extremely stable and once set up has fewer vulnerabilities.

Hope this helps.[/quote]
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel M wrote:
something in the build causes noise which shows up in Cubase recordings and only when the Kronos is plugged in to my Focusrite 6i6 via TRS cables

My gut feeling is that your new build isn't the culprit here. Of course, "noise" comes in many varieties and I'd be happy to help troubleshoot if you like.

If the noise is a 60 cycle hum then you're probably dealing with ground issues of some kind. If it's hiss or general white-noise-ish then I'd be looking at the driver for the Focusrite (or a hardware defect in the unit itself).

Also, are you going into the mic pres or the line inputs on the back? If it's the mic pres, then I'd grab a mic and see if you get the same noise from it when the Kronos isn't plugged in. If you do, then it's probably the Focusrite / driver area you need to debug. If you don't, then you know it's the interaction between the Kronos and the Focusrite (so ground issues would be my first bet), or possibly even the TRS cables you're using since all cables are good until they're not.

Focusrite makes good stuff and there's no reason you shouldn't be able to use it with the Kronos, so I'm happy to help you work the problem if you want to go down the rabbit hole.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Daniel M

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, down the rabbit hole we go!

The weird thing is, I had the Kronos hooked up with TS cables to the same Focusrite but to an older PC and there wasn't even an inkling of noise anywhere. This noise is a bunch of random pops and crackles which, again, only show up when the Kronos is connected via TS or TRS cables. I was going through the front inputs on the interface to both computers. I couldn't figure out how to set up the line inputs on the back (I'm new to all this).

One thing that does pop to mind, although I've read that this probably isn't an issue, but...

The case for this new PC doesn't have a CD drive, so I couldn't download the audio drivers for the motherboard. Could that be the problem here? Is so, then that's an easy fix.

[quote="ChrisDuncan"][quote="Daniel M"]something in the build causes noise which shows up in Cubase recordings and only when the Kronos is plugged in to my Focusrite 6i6 via TRS cables[/quote]
My gut feeling is that your new build isn't the culprit here. Of course, "noise" comes in many varieties and I'd be happy to help troubleshoot if you like.

If the noise is a 60 cycle hum then you're probably dealing with ground issues of some kind. If it's hiss or general white-noise-ish then I'd be looking at the driver for the Focusrite (or a hardware defect in the unit itself).

Also, are you going into the mic pres or the line inputs on the back? If it's the mic pres, then I'd grab a mic and see if you get the same noise from it when the Kronos isn't plugged in. If you do, then it's probably the Focusrite / driver area you need to debug. If you don't, then you know it's the interaction between the Kronos and the Focusrite (so ground issues would be my first bet), or possibly even the TRS cables you're using since all cables are good until they're not.

Focusrite makes good stuff and there's no reason you shouldn't be able to use it with the Kronos, so I'm happy to help you work the problem if you want to go down the rabbit hole.[/quote]
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, certainly the first thing I would do is install the up to date audio drivers for the motherboard. Even if you'd had a CD, they're typically not as up to date as what you can download through the manufacturer's website. It may not be the issue since audio is going through the Focusrite, but I'd get the system sorted just the same.

You say that this only happens when you physically connect the Kronos to the Focusrite, so I'm assuming you got the Kronos working okay with a USB connection? If that's the case, then it puts our focus (no pun intended) on the Focusrite.

With that in mind, first plug in a mic as I suggested and see if you get the noise through a mic. If you do, it eliminates the Kronos as a factor and means it's all about the Focusrite. Should that be the case, I would then look for any drivers on the Focusrite website and make sure you have the latest and greatest.

So, first update the motherboard audio drivers just for completeness. Next, perform the mic test to see if you can reproduce the problem without the Kronos. After that, check the Focusrite website and see if there are any drivers or other software that you need to update. Even if there aren't, I'd uninstall all things Focusrite, reboot the machine, then reinstall just to make sure they're happy.

Let me know the results of those steps and we'll see what's next based on your findings.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
liothomas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump on this thread!
seems like most people hate using ASIO4All
I got this problem where my Kronos audio isn't running through cubase. I use an RME Babyface pro FS.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liothomas wrote:
I got this problem where my Kronos audio isn't running through cubase. I use an RME Babyface pro FS.

What's the nature of your problem? I'm not sure which cat you're trying to skin.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
liothomas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:
liothomas wrote:

What's the nature of your problem? I'm not sure which cat you're trying to skin.

that's the thread I started today

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=126726
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liothomas wrote:
ChrisDuncan wrote:
liothomas wrote:

that's the thread I started today

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=126726

I looked at the thread, and you're trying to use USB to get audio from both keyboards, as well as from the audio interface, into Cubase.

I generally avoid USB on audio devices and use the analog connections. Not because I'm afraid of technology (I've been a professional software developer for 30 years), but because life is too short to chase all these glitchy computer problems when I'd rather be making music.

If it were me, I'd buy a small mixer (they're pretty cheap these days). If you go with a simple four channel one, you can get the stereo out from both keyboards, then line out of the mixer to line in to the RME. Then the RME is the only audio device that Cubase sees, and you control your keyboard levels from the mixer. I've gone analog rather than digital from keyboards for years and never had any quality issues.

I realize this might seem a bit old school, but sometimes it's the most practical way to solve a problem. I assume you'd rather be making music than fighting with technology. And analog outs don't care if you're Mac, PC, Linux or an old Amiga you happen to have lying around. Audio is audio.

As for MIDI, I'd either chain them into the RME MIDI ports or get a MIDI matrix, also cheap, and merge to the RME. Either way, physical connections.

I'm not saying that what you're trying to do isn't possible via USB, only that if you can spare a few bucks on a keyboard mixer your life will be infinitely simpler.

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but hope it helps.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
liothomas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand now why most people prefer the buy vsts lol
Trying to make those workstations work in a DAW via a single cable is massive headache
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liothomas wrote:
I understand now why most people prefer the buy vsts lol

You've got a Kronos and a ModX. I think that's awesome.

I have a Fatar StudioLogic 88 key controller in the studio, and tried the VST approach. The latency bugged me, and I was fiddling with a mouse to control VSTs when what I wanted was to just play the keyboard.

I absolutely love having the Kronos, with all its built in sounds (not to mention how it feels to play).

liothomas wrote:
Trying to make those workstations work in a DAW via a single cable is massive headache

See, this is where you lose me. Unless you're simply not in a financial position to spend less than a hundred bucks on a mixer (given the price of your two keyboards that's difficult to imagine), I don't know why you'd fight so hard to use a single cable when it obviously doesn't want to work.

And keep in mind that even if you get it to work today, you're just one bad software update (OS or application) away from more days fighting computer problems because something went sideways.

Still, I understand that it's a preference thing. I just prefer to avoid computer hassles, or anything else that gets in the way of making music.

Hope you get it sorted!
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: