Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos/mic hiss/white noise through interface into PC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wicket

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Kronos/mic hiss/white noise through interface into PC Reply with quote

Hi,
Firstly, I have posted this on the Native Instruments forum but they’re not very good at replying there which thankfully I’ve not found to be a problem here. Seeing as the problem does involve my Kronos I feel it’s not irrelevant.
A month or two back I switched from an, in essence, analogue recording set up to going all in on an NI setup using Ableton as DAW, purchasing a Kronos as well.
The joy has been sucked out as…
Kronos latency is too bad for my liking when plugged straight in to PC so thought I’d get a Komplete audio 6 (the silver version) and go through there - I also needed one to record my mic (going through a helicon voice live 2 .)
Problem is, whilst the Kronos had latency problems going by usb to pc, which it doesn’t now, thankfully; it now has significant hiss/background white noise issues when going through the audio interface. Ditto with the mic/voicelive 2. It’s the same no matter what I do with the gain etc settings on either. It seems to be ‘generated’ by the interface? Possibly due to differences in currents between devices? None of the cables have had issues on previous set ups and I have tried different cables anyway.
I also first bought (mistakenly) an Komplete audio 1 which had the same issue (currently selling on eBay to recoup a little of my expense as I bought it from this site but had thrown the box before realising I needed more!); so it seems to be a problem not with just the one interface.
This may be a obvious answer and I’m just thick/ignorant (which would be ideal!) but if not I’d appreciate your help and experience as this is really hampering my ability to enjoy my new set up.
Thanks for taking the time to read all this!
Wicket
just to add, if it matters, the mic is a sennheiser e865 and it’s a Kronos se/2 and for the sake of clarity, they both play clean through other gear.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noise/hiss issues are quite commonly encountered in DAW / USB audio interface environments. The following might be useful in trying to resolve the problem:

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/210293145

If all the devices in use are being powered from the same mains outlet, which ideally they should be, it is worth running the mains supply cables as close to each other for as much of the cable run as possible. Keep the audio cables away from direct or close contact with the mains cables, but try to keep them not too far away either.

USB MIDI latency can be affected by a number of factors, particularly with DAWs in use, and there does seem to be a tendency for latency to being unduly long. It's worth looking at suggestions for reducing latency made by the DAW manufacturer. The situation is not helped by Windows default timer resolution being around 15ms!

Some setups work well e.g. playing Omnisphere using the Kronos as USB MIDI source and using the Omnisphere stand alone software, works well regarding latency, but using Omnisphere as a plug-in in Ableton Live, the delay is unacceptable. It pays to try a variety of combinations.

Last edited by voip on Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wicket

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I’ll take a look and see if following this advice does the trick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: