Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Combi timbre volume control during live play

View previous topic :: View next topic  
V-man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Combi timbre volume control during live play Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to the use of real time volume control of timbres in a combi during live play.

One common scenario is that I want to fade in strings and- or pad layer behind a piano during live play. Lets say I have the Piano on timbre 1 with a volume set to 100. Timbre 2 is a stingpad that I want to fade in, but I don't want the maximum volume to exceed 45. I think it's problematic during live play to fade in this stringpad with the volume slider for timbre 2 (or expression pedal) and make it stop at max 45 while playing the piano at the same time.

A dream scenario would be if it would be possible to pre-set a maximum allowed volume on each timbre in a combi that restrain the volume to a certain level even if I push the volume slider for that timbre all the way up, if you know what I mean. The fade in of the stringpad would be easier since I would just have to push the volume slider for that timbre to the top/max position and still be sure that the volume would not be higher than 45.

Or how do you all masters mange timbre volume control during live play??
tunaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I’m missing a point, but if you want the max output for the second timbre to be 45 then just adjust that master volume on the TFX/SFX page to where you want it and use the volume slider?

If you want two volume levels for the second timbre, you’d probably have to set up a duplicate timbre with the volume adjustment, and then use the Karma switching technique to activate one or the other as needed.

Really, for me, it isn’t all that difficult to use the sliders and is one of the main features that separates the Kronos from the Nauty. Often you can reach the slider with the little pinky while still playing notes with the left hand, or a quick stab to an approximate level (~50%, for instance) will usually get it done.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the pedal set to control expression. CC-11

Expression raises the volume only to the point the volume is set in the combi.
You make your volume settings in the combi for your balance, set the strings to respond to expression (pedal) and they will go from off to the max you set with the timber volume.

Whats also cool is you can have several sounds with a mix of volume levels controlled with expression. As you turn them up and down, the balance is retained.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
V-man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
Use the pedal set to control expression. CC-11

Expression raises the volume only to the point the volume is set in the combi.
You make your volume settings in the combi for your balance, set the strings to respond to expression (pedal) and they will go from off to the max you set with the timber volume.

Whats also cool is you can have several sounds with a mix of volume levels controlled with expression. As you turn them up and down, the balance is retained.

Geo

Oh man! This is really good news! Just need to get an expression pedal then Smile If this work as expected it's a gift from above! Thanks alot for the info!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: