Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos LS keyboard problem - sinking keys - design problem?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCMUSIC3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ferares4,

I have notified the Australian Korg distributer of the fault.

His reply: "Korg are looking into the keyboard issue as they are not sure what would be causing this.
They have told me that they are checking stock of keybeds and will look at replacing yours once they can find out what the exact problem is."

So back to waiting.
FRANKH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject: Kronos LS "falling" keys Reply with quote

I've had the same problem with the LS where some keys do not return to the correct height. It started in March of 2020. I noticed a few keys had "sunk" about 1/8". I looked on youtube and seen how they repair these keys. It showed a flat metal spring that can actually cut into the plastic key. The more it cuts into the plastic, the lower it falls. One fix was to fill the gash with an epoxy but, I chose to just order new keys from a Korg supplier. Well, because of "Covid" I'm told, these keys were on "back order". It has been over 1 1/2 years and I have not received any keys yet. In fact, now there are about 15 keys that have "fallen". Grant it, I am heavy handed on the keyboard but this is definitely a design flaw IMHO. I've re-ordered keys from other Korg suppliers. I've phone called Korg USA for support. I've talked to the best repair shops in the Tri-state area and no one can get these replacement keys for me. I do like the sounds on this board and love the ease of the "set list" feature and the large touch screen but, Korg, you lost me at "customer service". I believe Korg just gave up on the LS and moved forward on the Nautilus. (Kind of like what Yamaha did with the Motif). If anyone has had a similar problem or knows where to acquire these keys, I'd love to know.
DCMUSIC3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos LS "falling" keys Reply with quote

FRANKH wrote:
I've had the same problem with the LS where some keys do not return to the correct height. It started in March of 2020. I noticed a few keys had "sunk" about 1/8". I looked on youtube and seen how they repair these keys. It showed a flat metal spring that can actually cut into the plastic key. The more it cuts into the plastic, the lower it falls. One fix was to fill the gash with an epoxy but, I chose to just order new keys from a Korg supplier. Well, because of "Covid" I'm told, these keys were on "back order". It has been over 1 1/2 years and I have not received any keys yet. In fact, now there are about 15 keys that have "fallen". Grant it, I am heavy handed on the keyboard but this is definitely a design flaw IMHO. I've re-ordered keys from other Korg suppliers. I've phone called Korg USA for support. I've talked to the best repair shops in the Tri-state area and no one can get these replacement keys for me. I do like the sounds on this board and love the ease of the "set list" feature and the large touch screen but, Korg, you lost me at "customer service". I believe Korg just gave up on the LS and moved forward on the Nautilus. (Kind of like what Yamaha did with the Motif). If anyone has had a similar problem or knows where to acquire these keys, I'd love to know.

Contact your Korg dealer. They should give you a new keybed.
Look back at some of the earlier posts on this forum.
Best of luck.
hephiroth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is: does anyone know if, at some point, Korg switched over to the new keybed design? And, if so, is there is a way to tell by Kronos LS serial number whether your unit possibly has the "fixed" spring design?
Alp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was considering a Kronos, but bought the nautilus 88 instead.

Anyone know if this key sinking problem happens on the Nautilus? I assume they use the same keybed?
hephiroth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alp wrote:

Anyone know if this key sinking problem happens on the Nautilus? I assume they use the same keybed?

No, the Nautilius 88 uses the RH3 keybed, same as the Kronos 2 88. The Kronos LS 88 uses a special keybed that is particular to that model.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another opinion here from a Korg fanboy that calling the LS keybed "semi-weighted" is damn near deceitful.

I really wanted to like it but sold it after a couple of months. Just couldn't get down w/ playing piano or even EP on it. Cost me several hundred bucks to find this out since I couldn't ever try it at a store, nor at two different winter NAMM shows.

I've played Rhodes EPs. I've played on semis from the Kurzweil K1000 and K2500 series all the way to newer Rolands and Studiologic Numas. the LS feels like a normal synth or organ action next to any of them.

I got a Nautilus 88 instead (RH3), and still have my original Kronos 61.
hephiroth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
Just another opinion here from a Korg fanboy that calling the LS keybed "semi-weighted" is damn near deceitful.

I recently had to replace one of the wooden side panels on my LS, and there are actually metal plates under the white keys. So I would guess this is what they are considering as the weights.

That said, it’s definitely a unique feel, and I was also surprised at how light it was when I got mine. I have gotten quite used to it and really find I can control velocities well on it. But definitely not for everyone!
rmdrent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally had the new keybed installed on my LS. Mine was way out of warrantee but Korg did the right thing and replaced it for free. New keybed is much better and hopefully will have no issues going fwd.
DCMUSIC3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmdrent wrote:
Finally had the new keybed installed on my LS. Mine was way out of warrantee but Korg did the right thing and replaced it for free. New keybed is much better and hopefully will have no issues going fwd.

Hi rmdent,

You might want to check for the velocity issue.

From ferares4: "Now I'm having a very strange issue, when I play 3 keys combined (A3 D4 E4) there's another key that loose sensitivity, here's a video for better understanding:"

https://drive.google.com/file/d/180sB4CBhyJZVJ3e5sRTvlsgP0ilRzEts/view?usp=sharing
Alp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hephiroth wrote:
Alp wrote:

No, the Nautilius 88 uses the RH3 keybed, same as the Kronos 2 88. The Kronos LS 88 uses a special keybed that is particular to that model.

Good news!
Thanks

I will probably be getting the Kronos x 73 from my brother. I see that ha RH3 keys also.
deepwell67

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same issue with my LS. 3 keys sunk pretty good and 1 is just starting to not respond well to playing, and 3 more keys just beginning to drop. Not very pleased... I wish the LS had the keybed of my M3-73, love that thing and have had ZERO issues over the many years. Guess I will be contacting Korg to see if we can get it fixed...
hephiroth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@deepwell67 - Definitely try emailing Korg support. I proactively emailed them about my LS, which is not having issues yet but I wanted to see if I could find out whether my unit had the "new" spring design.

The rep did confirm that there was a known issue with the original keybed design on the LS88 but that they switched up the manufacturing "at some point" to a new design (presumably that new spring shown earlier in this thread). He asked for my serial number but, ultimately, was not able to determine whether my particular unit was made before or after the fix. He said, "since you bought yours in 2021, it should be good." I'm just hoping he's right, and it doesn't end up becoming an issue.

In any case, though, since yours is already experiencing the problem, I definitely think you should contact them to try to get a replacement keybed!
deepwell67

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has had their keybed replaced recently? I've been waiting since Feb - last time I touched base with Korg a few months ago, they said the keybeds were on backorder. Hoping they become available soon as I now have about 14 keys that have sunk, with 2 or 3 of them being not very responsive - not great for gigging and in the studio...
deepwell67

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just my Kronos LS88 back from the shop with a brand new keybed! However, now I have around 24 keys that make a lovely clacking sound when released! Won't be an issue playing in the band, but in the studio, it's not cool! Anyone have any experience with this or a solution? I will call the shop on Monday to see what they say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: