Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 88 Hammer Stop Felt Replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaston

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Kronos 88 Hammer Stop Felt Replacement Reply with quote

Dear Kronos Associates and friends,

A section of keys started hammering metal to metal at my last gig, annoying and intolerable noise really. I'd replaced the hammer stop felt about five years ago for the same reason. So I opened it up and sure enough a section of felt has totally worn out again from aggressive play. I'll get with Partsisparts.net for replacement felt. But quite honestly my memory's not so great on how to do it so does anyone out there have a video link for the procedure to replace the hammer stop felt? I'm pretty sure it's the RH3 hammer action. Thanks for any info you can share!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you replace the entire line of felt, it takes a while since you have to remove all the keys (the whites are locked by tiny safety tabs which must be undone gently), then all the hammers. Especially, be careful NOT to touch the lubricated parts as this type of lube is quite hard to find and expensive. Adding the wrong type of lube can end up in a delayed disaster.
Gaston

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
If you replace the entire line of felt, it takes a while since you have to remove all the keys (the whites are locked by tiny safety tabs which must be undone gently), then all the hammers. Especially, be careful NOT to touch the lubricated parts as this type of lube is quite hard to find and expensive. Adding the wrong type of lube can end up in a delayed disaster.

Thank you for this info. Unable to find the felts so far. Any ideas where to find that special lubricant?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check Syntaur dot com for the felt strip.
Gaston

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:

Perfect! Thank you! Ordered!
Gaston

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:

This worked out great, thank you for the tips especially on the lubricant. I didn't know and would have been tempted to clean it all off only to realize I had none to replace it. I'm interested in getting a tube of it so if you or anyone knows where to get some please advise? I did my best to clean up what was already there and just put it back together. I had some trouble with the spring assembly on a few keys so had to disassemble one more time and fix those keys where the spring had dropped. It was THEN I remembered how to do it properly! I'm a bit slow. I took advantage of the opportunity to replace a few broken keys all that the same time. But it all worked out fine. I have two Kronos 88 keyboards, one for studio, the other for road. So I could rely on the K2 until I got the original version back up and running. The new felt in the original action is a bit mushy still, to be expected and will take some time to break in I imagine, but I'm pounding away at it. I changed the velocity in global to compensate for it and now and it's fine. This worked out really great!

Oh one other question for anyone? This is a stupid question. But when I make changes to and write an update to a set list, to which file does that update save? .PCG, .KSC, .KGE or .SNG? I write new set lists a lot and it'll save me time to just transfer those updates from one Kronos to the other via USB flash drive. Thanks for any help on this.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaston wrote:
This worked out great, thank you for the tips especially on the lubricant.

Oh one other question for anyone? This is a stupid question. But when I make changes to and write an update to a set list, to which file does that update save? .PCG, .KSC, .KGE or .SNG? I write new set lists a lot and it'll save me time to just transfer those updates from one Kronos to the other via USB flash drive. Thanks for any help on this.

Hi Gaston and glad your Kronos action is now comfortable again. Wink

About updating setlists, in fact the write function in prog, combi or setlist mode doesn't actually create any usable file by itself (it only writes your updates in memory), so you also have to save your Kronos contents in Disk mode. Then the newly created PCG files will contain your Programs/Combis/Global stuff to reload later if needed, just like an "undo" function if you later do a mistake. For example, someday you might see an interesting third party sound library to test or a nice PCG file to load and without your own saved PCG files, you could overwrite stuff you might have worked hours on. So it's important to remember to do such saves often. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: