Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Larger SSD?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
export-B

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, Kronos had the option of formatting the internal disk and reinstalling the entire system. Is there anything similar for Nautilus?
Polysix, Poly 800, DW6000, DW8000, DS8, M1, PA1X Pro, PA2X Pro, Kronos X 61, PA3X Pro, PA3X LE, PA700, PA4X 76, PA1000, Kronos SE and now Nautilus 73 and Casio PXS3000, Cubase 12, NI Ultimate 12, Komplete Kontrol S49,ReFX 3.0,Roland FR1X.
jlsa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Larger SSD? Reply with quote

I just checked, it's not currently available. You might have to ask Korg to add it to the menu, but you'll need to have the installation DVD discs on hand to do that!
But if it's to change the disc, it's easier to do the procedure I explain, and no need for a DVD player.
recreational

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try and upgrade the main board and CPU of the NAUTILUS in addition to change the SSD to a larger one in the same vein as some of the well-known KRONOS mods that have been done in the past.

Wish me luck!!
recreational

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for double-posting, but I just wanted to add some addition information for those interested:

burningbusch wrote:
My gut tells me Korg intentionally made the Nautilus less expandable and more locked down to improve reliability.

Based on the hardware, there is absolutely no indication to support this idea. It's really basically similar/identical (actually, the nautilus mainboard is technically a nicer one than that of the kronos) chipset to that of the Kronos and they both use similar snap-in style memory modules (I heard that was an OASYS/kronos issue?) as its predecessors.

Also, yes. Anyone can clone their NAUTILUS SSD to a larger mSata SSD. For straight cloning, you really can't beat the gnu coreutil 'dd.' For expansion of partitions, I would recommend using a basic and user-friendly Linux distribution with a GUI-frontended program such as GParted to perform the filesystem expansion.

I haven't done any of the aforementioned theoretical procedures and I don't implore anyone else to try them. These are not the waters of inexperienced people to Linux systems administration. You could absolutely f*** up your keyboard by trying any of this.. (and you'll definitely be voiding your warranty) I will not be providing any how-to's or anything of the sort. I will be probably trying all these things and may document some of my milestones along the journey, depending on whether or not this forum is receptive to such content. If that is not the case, please let me know.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recreational wrote:
Apologies for double-posting, but I just wanted to add some addition information for those interested:

burningbusch wrote:
My gut tells me Korg intentionally made the Nautilus less expandable and more locked down to improve reliability.

Based on the hardware, there is absolutely no indication to support this idea. It's really basically similar/identical (actually, the nautilus mainboard is technically a nicer one than that of the kronos) chipset to that of the Kronos and they both use similar snap-in style memory modules (I heard that was an OASYS/kronos issue?) as its predecessors.

The Kronos series allowed users to add a second SSD to their keyboards. The SATA port and power were readily available. There was also a bay where the SSD could be securely fixed. Korg fully supported this addition.
It wasn't a hack. You were supposed to have it done at a Korg service center but many users did it themselves as it was quite easy. While the Nautilus has the SATA ports available I saw no easy way to tap power nor is there any place to reasonably secure the SSD in what is a portable, gigable keyboard. Anytime users open up their systems there's a great chance of some connection becoming loose.

The Kronos series had long-standing issues of fatal errors related to RAM and cables losing connection. The error message "A problem has been detected. Please turn the Kronos off. Wait 10 sec. and then turn it back on.” was not uncommon. The message indicates that there is a problem with the communication between the motherboard and the OMAP subsystem.
Sometimes this was related to RAM but it was also related to internal cables losing connection. I had a Kronos with this issue and it was resolved by resetting all the internal connections. The Nautilus has fewer connection points than the Kronos, hence my contention they were purposely reduced to increase reliability.

I've had a Nautilus for the better part of a year. I've seen no error messages, either related to USB at startup or the above mentioned error.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
recreational

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That what you posted about the Kronos issues necessitating reseating of all internal connectors reminded me of my intro to synth hackery, when I fully-disassembled a Triton Pro and didn't document any of the steps Wink Took about two weeks to get that thing working again...

With regards to the 2nd drive/power on nautilus, fwiw, this isn't what I'm doing, but I'm tempted to believe that in that case, a Kronos PSU would probably power and fit and work and bring this capability to a NAUTILUS. I haven't spent enough time inside these two boards to say, but if it fit, that would provide the SATA power connector. That's assuming the form factor is similar enough and that it fits. But it's not "that much of a problem" -- if the goal is to simply be able to power another SATA SSD, where there's a will, there's a way. Having said that, I think that installing multiple SSDs in a keyboard workstation in 2021 is just cringe. (I get it, Kronos facilitated this but that was literally 10 years ago when SSDs were still bragworthy and also still expensive enough to where "just buy a larger SSD" was a little bit more of an unfair assumption of one's financial status) (I didn't pay $2000 for the keyboard's rompler functionality. I bought my Nautilus for the synth engines. For everything else, in a studio context there's Kontakt and DAWs (dunno if I've made it clear yet, I'm more of a studio guy and hardware tinkerer, and less of a nightly gig type of guy. So obviously my perspective will be centered around that) and lots of other very feature-filled stuff.

But if people want a larger SSD, just buy a larger one. That's all I have to say on storage. It's a far simpler and safer procedure than the workarounds that you and I are talking about. Too bad the integration of external hard disks or thumb drives is lackluster in the Nautilus OS (I have no idea what this was like on Kronos, not sure it really mattered since, like you said, the chassis and PSU of the Kronos facilitated this kind of upgrade). My thoughts on this is that Korg's Linux kernel is probably too old to support the kind of integration we'd like to have (i.e., just plug in another external storage device, and have it treated in a similar manner as the OASYS/Kronos would have treated an additional internal disk. (side thought: has anyone ever published a successful upgrading of an OASYS to an internal SSD? That's another thing that again, might not work, due to the age of the Linux system they'd have been using)

I personally am compelled to do the mods I'm doing because:

2+ MINUTE
BOOT TIME
IS TOO DAMN
LONG, KORG

...and I would HAPPILY void my warranty to make it even 25% shorter. and i'm also prone to self-sabotage and just want to learn more about this all in general, there's a huge amount of personal interest besides just the boot time, which if I didn't have that amount of interest and willingness to take the risks, I wouldn't be doing this, and I'd accept the size of the Nautilus SSD and the boot time if I were most people

Granted, I've been a korg loyalist for a long time, so I don't know how long any of the Yamaha or Roland workstations take to turn on. Maybe I should look into that, so I can buy one and tear it apart and mod it instead (only joking.... Wink )

*On a side note, it probably doesn't even matter that the external drive situation is lackluster, because those are almost certainly USB 2.0 ports on the back of the nautilus, and so high-speed external SSD streaming isn't even going to be possible with that bottleneck.
giblop

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRAVO Applause Applause Applause
downtownpaulyp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgraded my SSD to a 256 GB last night, works just fine.

Also purchased the expansion bundle EXs315-320 and installed.

All that is great, but now it becomes a matter of managing what KSC's get loaded, since the RAM is only 4GB.

According to my research, the Intel dual-core ATOM CPU on the motherboard doesn't support memory greater than 4GB. So even though it's possible to purchase a single 8GB DDR3 memory module, it's not even worth trying since the CPU won't recognize it.

Damn, 'cause that would have been awesome.
recreational

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

downtownpaulyp wrote:

All that is great, but now it becomes a matter of managing what KSC's get loaded, since the RAM is only 4GB.

According to my research, the Intel dual-core ATOM CPU on the motherboard doesn't support memory greater than 4GB. So even though it's possible to purchase a single 8GB DDR3 memory module, it's not even worth trying since the CPU won't recognize it.

It wouldn't matter. The Nautilus OS runs a 32-bit kernel and will not be capable of utilizing higher amounts of ram, as this is in inherent limitation of 32-bit operating systems. There's really not much expandability on the stock motherboard unless you're willing to solder, I was disappointed to discover the lack of integrated headers on the chipset.

There is really not much room for hardware expansion beyond SSD upgrades. Anywhere you could conceivably do it, you'll lack the ability to implement and utilize any real benefits due to the closed-hood nature of the software.
RavenRusher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

recreational wrote:
downtownpaulyp wrote:

It wouldn't matter. The Nautilus OS runs a 32-bit kernel and will not be capable of utilizing higher amounts of ram, as this is in inherent limitation of 32-bit operating systems. There's really not much expandability on the stock motherboard unless you're willing to solder, I was disappointed to discover the lack of integrated headers on the chipset.

There is really not much room for hardware expansion beyond SSD upgrades. Anywhere you could conceivably do it, you'll lack the ability to implement and utilize any real benefits due to the closed-hood nature of the software.

I just took my Nautilus apart and it seems that everything is pretty standard x86. The motherboard is basically Asrock IMB-140D Plus with some missing port not soldered on, and all the Korg proprietary stuff are attached via the internal USB socket. To this end I'm thinking about the possibilities of running the entire Nautilus OS in a virtual machine on much more recent hardware and have the USB ports passed through. If we can get the hypervisor to emulate the correct USB controller, we might be able to run Nautilus system on a much faster platform without any modifications at all.
jbeliz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my SSD on the Nautilus to a 256gb drive and partitioned to extend the unallocated memory but it continues to only read the drive as a 60gb SSD am I missing something here or does it only read 60gb no matter what size the SSD?
I read here that some had success with the swap with it reading more but no one has made any type of video showing the actual space there new drive actually shows on the Nautilus.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only does the partition need to be enlarged, which you've done, but the volume needs to be extended to use the larger partition. The method has been described in some detail for the Kronos, and will be basically the same for the Nautilus.

Here's the link to the method for the Kronos:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=801037

jbeliz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Not only does the partition need to be enlarged, which you've done, but the volume needs to be extended to use the larger partition. The method has been described in some detail for the Kronos, and will be basically the same for the Nautilus.

Here's the link to the method for the Kronos:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=801037

The volume and partition is the same thing pretty much i tried everything just doesn't read any more than 60gb on a 256gb ssd.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volume and partition are not the same thing.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/what-is-the-difference-between-a-partition-a-volume-and-a-logical-drive/

Have you tried GParted, following the procedure in the link given in my previous post?

jbeliz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not used Gparted but i am using a program very similar to it to which i have had success for the Korg Kronos Drive but for some reason the Nautilus does not read the drive the same way as the Kronos, i will try Gparted and see what difference it has to the one i am currently using, thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: