Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Kronos Challenge's Out there like Roland Fantom's 4X4 ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazerunner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Challenge Reply with quote

Space Girl wrote:

I was impressed by how quickly I learnt how to use the Kronos considering it is my first workstation and I am more used to Analogue knob twiddling, although I had to watch all the tutorial videos and still am. I had been put off from buying one for ages because of it's complexity but if I can learn it I am sure anyone can!

I will try to use my Kronos sequencer more and see just how long it takes me to produce a decent but simple track.

The idea of sequencing on the Kronos itself actually isn't that hard but truly learning how to optimize the true capabilities of the Kronos sequencer is. I've been buckling down learning the sequencer for years now and it's quite in depth especially when you get down to the true power of it "Automation & Effects". That's when you'll find all the hidden bugs or features no one ever mentions.

It is fun to use though... not very fun to edit but it is a lot of fun to use. I'm using the sequencer as my main recording hub until I can get a dedicated computer. I record everything into it. Maybe some people will have a different take on the sequencer depending on how deep they've gotten with it but the deeper you go the more you realize how much time it takes to truly optimize it.

I think of the sequencer as an instrument itself. You can take a synth and really turn it into some really cool sounds. Even something like a simple Piano Key. You add in your effects and automation and you can make some interesting stuff.

It's probably the best part of the Kronos but I've come to also understand a lot of people don't bother with it and it's understandable because if you have better more capable means of recording songs like Protools or Ableton why bother with the limitations of the Kronos Sequencer?

When you dont' have any options that's when you really start diving deep into the sequencer. I've gotten good enough at getting it what I want to do. To me the only true weakness of the sequencer are it's track limitations.

If you stay on the midi side of things you'll be okay. If you get into the audio side you'll run out of room. When you discover layering and adding in effects you'll be blown away.

I'll record one synth... then copy it to 3 or 4 tracks and pan it at different degrees....adjust the EQ's and then add in different effects like reverb,tape echo, etc... and wow when you play that synth back... It's like getting hit with a full symphony. You hear everything on so many varying levels it's absolutely captivating.

But things like that is the type of rewards the Kronos gives you when you put in some real seat time behind it to figure it out. You start playing with stuff and discover cool techniques.

We joke about the 4 minute challenge but the Kronos is a sit down and spend time on it type of keyboard. I would probably spend 4 minutes just setting my EQ's to where I wanted them to be alone... then probably 30 scrolling through effects on each instrument I'm using and fine tuning them just right. I love running drums through the sequencer and using the compression and filtering features. The side chain is cool too but I'm still getting the hang of that one.

But everyone's journey on the Kronos is different. You find what you need from it and you invest in that and it will reward you.
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Ditto to every point in your post!

In spite of anything anyone considers the Kronos ‘lacks’, there is so much professionalism in its potential. Butcha’ gotta’ sit down and work it over real good for that to happen. Take the time, and it will reward you! So much is hidden in there!
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some types of music the Roland Fantom pattern sequencer simply could not record. As others have noted, you couldn't record a classical piano solo given the maximum of 32 measures (or bars) per pattern.

Another HUGE limitation that I've just discovered is the Fantom pattern sequencer only allows two time signatures: 4/4 and 3/4. Poor 7/8, 7/4, and all the others - you did not make the cut.

This means you couldn't record many jazz, rock, and pop songs or an improvisational piece that spans more than 32 measures or uses any time signature other than 4/4 or 3/4 anywhere in the song.

Here's an example where any Korg workstation would beat the pants off the Roland Fantom: Using the built-in MIDI sequencer, record and play back the introduction to "Subdivisions" by Rush. 'Nuf said!
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpoodoo wrote:
There are some types of music the Roland Fantom pattern sequencer simply could not record. As others have noted, you couldn't record a classical piano solo given the maximum of 32 measures (or bars) per pattern.

Another HUGE limitation that I've just discovered is the Fantom pattern sequencer only allows two time signatures: 4/4 and 3/4. Poor 7/8, 7/4, and all the others - you did not make the cut.

This means you couldn't record many jazz, rock, and pop songs or an improvisational piece that spans more than 32 measures or uses any time signature other than 4/4 or 3/4 anywhere in the song.

Here's an example where any Korg workstation would beat the pants off the Roland Fantom: Using the built-in MIDI sequencer, record and play back the introduction to "Subdivisions" by Rush. 'Nuf said!

There you are. The dividing line between workstation and sketchpad.

Can you turn it on, configure your song, and record your fugue/sonata/progressive rock thing, then render it? No? Then not a workstation. It's a groovebox, a sketchpad. It might even be a very nice sketchpad.

It's still a sketchpad.

Just last night I turned on my Force, opened a clip, extended it to a couple of hundred measures, improvised an idea in (which was polyrhythmic, by the way), and then trimmed to fit, rendered and posted. I could have done the same thing on a Kross, or a Krome.

Not on a Fantom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: