Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos: If you started All over again, What would you do??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
engineerjoel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:24 am    Post subject: Kronos: If you started All over again, What would you do?? Reply with quote

For those of you that have had your Kronos for several years, what modifications and/or sound-pack add-on's would add to your brand new Kronos if you purchased it today? (12-14-2021)
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m 7 years into the Kronos. Haven’t purchased any sounds, out of the box works great, although I do a lot of editing and creating with programs and combinations.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go the same with the mods but of course I could now complete them faster (color LEDs, improved aftertouch, bigger SSD, direct FTP connection, custom layer/split programming, adjustable angle screen).

For the sounds, it really varies from one person to the next. Some Korg libraries are quite impressive like the Fazioli grand, not to mention others available on the main shop site. And of course, the Kronos is a sampler so you can create your own sample sets. I personally like more piano and choir sounds and created several myself, but again it can be anything. Same with synth programming, the Kronos is so versatile its possibilities are near infinite. It is still to me the best digital keyboard machine ever built.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a larger HD drive. Absolutely a requirement if you plan on really getting into the sequencer. Now that I added that the Kronos has been an entirely different experience. Soundpacks I haven't bothered with. They're too expensive for my taste.
ArminH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much love for the Kronos (since 2015) here – there is so much inside and I can spend hours playing it and also hours learning new stuff about the Kronos.

I find it important to spend some time just enjoying making music and forgetting about all the technical stuff.

Other times I just read the manual (on my iPad) and lock for new technical stuff I never used before. After this I spend some time exploring these new ideas.

As for additional libraries I bought – and love – just 3:
EXs11 Strings
EXs19 KAPro Collection
and last month:
EXs21 Italian F Piano

I love the 3 great Karma Sets from Kai – so much to learn about Karma in them.
timg11

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a Kronos since 2011. It's a great instrument, and the Smooth Sound Transition (while not perfect) works well enough 95% of the time. That is a key feature for me.

I've been able to build a keyboardless Kronos module out of a freight damaged Kronos that I use for gigs and rehearsals. My main Kronos (with the relatively fragile RH3 keybed) stays in my studio.

If you think there is any chance you would ever buy, borrow, or rent another Kronos, or play at a venue that already has a Kronos, I'd recommend you avoid building your sounds and program banks around libraries that are locked to a single instrument i.e.EXs from the Korg store.

I bought a few early on, and have unloaded them. I create programs from my own samples, and I also purchase quality sound banks in PCG format, and raw samples. I'm able to program my sounds and setlists on the studio Kronos, save them, and then easily load them into the modular Kronos by USB or Ethernet.

Of course these decisions are very personal and depend on your musical styles and needs. You may find libraries from Korg or Kapro that you consider essential.

EDIT - a few days after I posted this, Korg announced they have changed their policy to allow you to own up to three Kronos and use your purchased EXs on all them without paying 3X. So with that issue solved, I would recommend finding the sound sets that you like!

Last edited by timg11 on Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArminH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I forget to mention the additional Korg nanoPAD2 is a must.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArminH wrote:
I love the 3 great Karma Sets from Kai – so much to learn about Karma in them.

Are you referring to me? "Kay"? If so, thank you!

ArminH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Kay – here in Germany we spell your name Kai 😊
afr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got my Kronos 1 since the very beginning

In a hypothetical new Kronos 2022 I would like to have

Newer display possibly tilted
EXs guitar orchestral from nautilus
Phrase program like in nautilus
Larger SSD
New 64bit op. Sys to use larger RAM
Wavesequence from wavestate
Wavetable from modwave

Would be a clever solution to sell additional sound engine as options in order to avoid high price, so everyone can customize the instrument

Some music shop in Italy says that the Kronos will be available again for sale in April, honestly I don't know if that is true and if it will be a Kronos as it is or a new version
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: