Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA5X - a REAL photo...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
archil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:
archil wrote:
Nice boot screen! lmao

I don't think this is release os boot screen...It even says early bird os on the screen...
That is not a name for a release os...

OS code name yeah, but i think the image will stay. Also i hope it doesn't take 3 min to boot...

Come on Korg its linux, my Arch takes only 3 sec to boot to fully loaded desktop. I understand its not the same hardware but i think they can do better.

@musiccankill any idea about which gui toolkit they use? GTK? QT? Something else?
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

archil wrote:

OS code name yeah, but i think the image will stay. Also i hope it doesn't take 3 min to boot...

Come on Korg its linux, my Arch takes only 3 sec to boot to fully loaded desktop. I understand its not the same hardware but i think they can do better.

@musiccankill any idea about which gui toolkit they use? GTK? QT? Something else?

It is not the code name , it is actually a beta OS (early bird = got it early)!
Well arch doesn't have to boot extra DSP's ,prepare them , load the preload buffer in memory etc...
If you remove the sound data from any korg PA , it boots almost instantly!

About the GUI , all the keyboards (at least from 2x to 4x) released were using an old one named PEG .. I couldn't find a lot of information about it but i remember i found out that some known company had acquired the rights to it...

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
archil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:

Well arch doesn't have to boot extra DSP's ,prepare them , load the preload buffer in memory etc...

About the GUI , all the keyboards (at least from 2x to 4x) released were using an old one named PEG .. I couldn't find a lot of information about it but i remember i found out that some known company had acquired the rights to it...

Thanks for the info!!

Short video also https://www.youtube.com/shorts/FcGfCm_RWTk

It looks like it was some kind of presentation to a small group of people
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:
archil wrote:

Yamaha has this covered in a way smarter way.. 15 secs boot time on the Genos.. even with 3GB of user samples, and a full stick of directly accessible stuff
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
15 secs boot time on the Genos.. even with 3GB of user samples, and a full stick of directly accessible stuff

Genos boots after preloading preset page resources only and keeps on preloading samples up to the next 2 minutes in case of 3Gb
user samples , not a big deal at all , just a tricky way !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
MikeVVught

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Thanks for the feedback..

I hope you also noted what this policy of silence does with the loyal customer base? You can communicate with the customers while not sharing secrets. Its not the fact that people have no release date that give them a grudge, its the fact that Korg seems not to communicate at all with their loyal customers.

Just saying a few times more “i cant tell you anything, thats our pollicy”. And answering some questions or discussing some ideas overhere by an official Korg communicator would work miracles.

Your pollicy to me sounds like a 1990’s pollicy? If i could give some advice, i would atleast put this current pollicy on an an agenda for a boardmeeting.

Agree
MikeVVught

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:
archil wrote:
Nice boot screen! lmao

I don't think this is release os boot screen...It even says early bird os on the screen...
That is not a name for a release os...

Early Bird is a kind of nickname for software which has been release for testing purposes... In computer terms it is Beta software.
archil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:

Genos boots after preloading preset page resources only and keeps on preloading samples up to the next 2 minutes in case of 3Gb

Thats interesting! And what happens if immediately after boot you select and play a sound that relies on a user sample that has not be loaded yet?
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And what happens if immediately after boot you select and play a sound that relies on a user sample that has not be loaded yet?

....you have to wait - this is how Yamaha's Tyros's boot time was so impressive (in their marketing only!!) ... my PA4x will load very quickly too if I remove the samples!!
It was frustrating!!!!

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete , if meantime you select a custom sound with samples , it instantly preloads the selected samples and always selected
sounds take the preloading priority so nobody can obviously remark this loading trick , but its true ... Very Happy

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Antony

I must admit that I didn't get into any Tyros sampling usage and my time with Tyros was short-lived, hence would not go there again until Yamaha produce a more professional OS - I studied and played Genos but not much had changed from a performance/recording comfort for me - still seemed like a "home" keyboard and a Tyros with added features. I did like the sounds and in particular, acoustic drums (not keen on the "live loops"). I own and play a TOTL Yamaha digital kit and I think Y still have the edge on drum sounds over Korg, Roland and the rest (excl VST of course).

I've always been very impressed with your work and wondered if it will be reasonably straight forward for you to apply it to the new PA5X.

All the best

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete , I hope that newer Pa5X DNC engine has been improved in more legato detection & round points in order to come closer
to VST sound development with custom samples , since Pa4X has already the best hardware sampler engine in the market.
Also 8Gb is a fair magnitude of custom samples for improving Pianos & Symphonic stuff like I have used in Kronos sound developments of WavesArt !
Hope you the best

Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

archil wrote:
AntonySharmman wrote:

Thats interesting! And what happens if immediately after boot you select and play a sound that relies on a user sample that has not be loaded yet?

Imagine a show, power shortage.. and after like 15 secconds of booting you have a pinao, hell you have all build in styles and sounds at your fingertips and can play atleast something..
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
Thanks Pete , I hope that newer Pa5X DNC engine has been improved in more legato detection & round points in order to come closer
to VST sound development with custom samples , since Pa4X has already the best hardware sampler engine in the market.
Also 8Gb is a fair magnitude of custom samples for improving Pianos & Symphonic stuff like I have used in Kronos sound developments of WavesArt !
Hope you the best

Lets also hope some of the kronos engines made their way to the pa5x?

I would love to have VA, FM and wavetable… no problem if they added this to the Old engine, but it seems more logical to have some kronos engine, like the organ and the DP parts too
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Lets also hope some of the kronos engines made their way to the pa5x?

Sound engines Pa architecture will remain the same as core hardware , I just hope to see
extra improvements in current ones , especially in sampler DNC engine that I'm not aware yet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 14 of 22

Jump to: