Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg PA5x demo experience
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deminda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what would be the option they come up with for style creation using a DAW. I tried to send midi data from cubase to PA4x style recorder. The issue is Pa4x midi clock does not sync in Record mode. Cubase is not configurable to receive midi clock from the Pa4x. If the keyboard can receive midi clock in record mode styles could be recorded directly from Cubase and then the midi import function not needed.
davekalbach

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deminda wrote:
I wonder what would be the option they come up with for style creation using a DAW. I tried to send midi data from cubase to PA4x style recorder. The issue is Pa4x midi clock does not sync in Record mode. Cubase is not configurable to receive midi clock from the Pa4x. If the keyboard can receive midi clock in record mode styles could be recorded directly from Cubase and then the midi import function not needed.

I don't really do anything with DAW. I do have REAPER and I guess Garage Band (if you could call that a DAW).

I've been a supporter of bringing back the MIDI to Style function - but if they really did create a DAW interface for the process, I think that would actually be better overall. What I mean is the MIDI to Style is One Click Super Easy, but everything I converted required tweaking and tinkering with the sounds; a process that would be much easier to do on a laptop (at least for me)

So... If they did go this direction, now I'd have to look at Mac Compatible DAWs.

--- EDIT ---

Hopefully Korg will bring back the MIDI to Style, while also working on DAW suooprt.

Kronos 2, Pa5X, Drumlogue, Stageman 80, Korg D32XD Recorder
Many Guitars, Roland TD-6 V-Drums, a Trumpet (HELP)
And a Kimball Baby Grand Piano

Last edited by davekalbach on Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
deminda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heavily rely on Midi to style variation import. I don't use the style creator bot. Instead I make the variations in a DAW (Cubase) and import to style variations. That function is a must for me unless they come up with an alternative
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deminda wrote:

Hi,
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are trying to achieve, but why wouldn’t yo record your style track/tracks in your daw, save it as .mid , then use the import / export function in the Korg, to import the track into the style.

That’s how I used to convert my old psr styles to Korg. Turn them into .mid files, edit them in my old xg sequencer, save as .mid . Import them into Korg and do all the settings ie ntt etc in the korg and save as style.

Hopefully they’ve just dropped the midifile to style conversion tool, not the ability to import and export .mid files into styles.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰
Wavesart Japanese Grand Piano

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
deminda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly what I am doing. But instead of importing all the variations at once I do it one by one V1CV1 etc.. and I am so used to it. Pa5x has the option to import the midi file with markers i believe. But I don't think it has the option to import variations individually. The Pa5x manual does not give any details of the DAW based style creation either. I am getting my Pa5x hopefully early September and I will see how things are going.
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg PA5x demo experience Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Today i was at a small demo of the PA5x in the Netherlands by Korg support manager and demonstrator in the benelux Chris from Lommel..

First of my experiences with the pa5x after some short hands on..

A) its build like a truck..
B) the new OS feels lightning fast and totally lagfree
C) the sound is spot on from massive where needed to
D) its a huge step forward from the pa4x, where it comes to interface, usefriendlyness, dsp power and overall sound quallity (yes the dsp makes a difference)
E) missing features like midi to style converter and kaos didn’t make release but will be added in a patch when they are finished… also there are a lot of new and convienence features that will be added, like syncing the audio loops from the pads and mp3 files with a midiclock. And many many more
F) everything is newly developed from scratch, it shows in a positive way and a negative way (bugs). But to squash them bugs Korg needs more input and feedback then they can get in house. So its important for owners to report every bug they find.. on the positieve side, the user experience is realy smooth. And i didn’t encounter any bugs during the three hours demo and handson.
G) EC5 is soon to be replaced by a new pedal, presumably a USB device..
H) There is a possitive influence visual inside Korg comming from the new German manager at Korg Italy, but it will take time …. But in a few patches/versions the pa5x will be where we want it to be.
I) the 88 key version should be available after summer.
J) korg and all other keyboard companies are hit very hard by the shortage of components. Not just Korg, but also Yamaha and Roland, almost all instruments are on weeks to months of backorders
K) the Musikant version will probably have to wait till early 2023. It will come with even more styles then the pa4x muzikant and even have a section for dutch styles.. it also comes with 4GB of extra sounds, many pro sounds from the Kronos Kurt Adler selections.
L) korg is still developing the instrument with the Pro musicians in mind. The operating experience on th surface got better, but the depth is still there.

All in all i considered it a very positive experience.

Just one thing, but i guess we all know that, don’t be an early adapter to a brand new instrument if you rely on it for your live gigs. Wait at least a year after the release and follow these forums to see when its a safe moment to addapt.

Dear Bachus, Since many years here i have seen you post really nice reviews great topics and more.
You are always helping, and have a nice attitude ALWAYS!

I must ask you this time, ARE YOU SERIUS NOW?
Built like a Truck ? NO!

B) the new OS feels lightning fast and totally lagfree ( This was a JOKE ? )
You have a great moral to this topic, and YES you are more possitive than For example ME, who must wait until end of 2022, and Who knows if the OS really gonna be OK, and we can trust it on gigs.

I,m sorry but this time, NO, Its not a good way to serve this unit.

Its festival here, and i was on stage with PA4X, Under that PA 5 X, you wont believe how things started to NOT WORK, Nothing , And i was in deep problem.
4 Belly dancers on stage, And PA5 X that worked OK in my home, Did NOT worked at all on stage Sad

And NO, we are not their Beta Testers, I can,t accept that, Not when you are paying 5K for a KB like PA5X.

Fix it first than be Proud to introduce it on market, not taking the KORG Name Down.
I read in all forums In Face BOOK groups and other places that THIS TIME KORG MADE SOMETHING WRONG!
We must accept that.

And korg must Accept that to, and fix it soonest possible .
Until now, not much from korg, no one says anything.

Sad[/b]

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
davekalbach

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg PA5x demo experience Reply with quote

Asena wrote:
Its festival here, and i was on stage with PA4X, Under that PA 5 X, you wont believe how things started to NOT WORK, Nothing , And i was in deep problem.
4 Belly dancers on stage, And PA5 X that worked OK in my home, Did NOT worked at all on stage Sad

Asena,

Sorry to hear about all of the trouble....

But let's talk more about those Belly Dancers Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Kronos 2, Pa5X, Drumlogue, Stageman 80, Korg D32XD Recorder
Many Guitars, Roland TD-6 V-Drums, a Trumpet (HELP)
And a Kimball Baby Grand Piano
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Write SELINA SEVIL ON YOUTUBE AND HAVE A GOOD TIME Wink heheheheh

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deminda wrote:
That is exactly what I am doing. But instead of importing all the variations at once I do it one by one V1CV1 etc.. and I am so used to it. Pa5x has the option to import the midi file with markers i believe. But I don't think it has the option to import variations individually. The Pa5x manual does not give any details of the DAW based style creation either. I am getting my Pa5x hopefully early September and I will see how things are going.

I used to do a bit of both. Most of the time I was able to import my
psr .mid ( style) in one go, I used to just change the psr markers to Korg markers and import all the cv’s in one go, then do the settings required in the Korg to make it work as a style.

I never had much luck with the midifile to style convertor, so I doubt I would miss it, but I sure would miss being able to import and export individual cv’s as .mids.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰
Wavesart Japanese Grand Piano

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D575 wrote:
Good news...

I hope this is also addressed and not being talked about, So not a bug but a major design flaw which is also hampered by some bugs...

Not being able to save two styles to song-book for recall after all the edits in both styles to use with the X-FADER is possibly one of the largest over-sites of PA5X so far...

Also to include with this, the main screen locks are not working when you prioritise Set numbers 1 to 4 to be locked in a highlighted style before you Cross-Fade...

The Creativity Potential for this is ((((HUGE)))) but unfortunately at this moment in time you can not save any of your work with this New lnnovation....

Which relegate X-FADER to know more than a gimmick at this present stage (strongly hope this is corrected at some piont)

I am amazed at this over-site considering X-FADER is ment to be the star of the show for PA5X...

Its quite easy to overcome, make a setlist and quickly load both players with a new song..

It would be highly illogical to have two songs in one songbook entry.. but an option tomload two songbook entries at once would be very welcome
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
D575 wrote:
Good news...

I hope this is also addressed and not being talked about, So not a bug but a major design flaw which is also hampered by some bugs...

Not being able to save two styles to song-book for recall after all the edits in both styles to use with the X-FADER is possibly one of the largest over-sites of PA5X so far...

Also to include with this, the main screen locks are not working when you prioritise Set numbers 1 to 4 to be locked in a highlighted style before you Cross-Fade...

The Creativity Potential for this is ((((HUGE)))) but unfortunately at this moment in time you can not save any of your work with this New lnnovation....

Which relegate X-FADER to know more than a gimmick at this present stage (strongly hope this is corrected at some piont)

I am amazed at this over-site considering X-FADER is ment to be the star of the show for PA5X...

Its quite easy to overcome, make a setlist and quickly load both players with a new song..

It would be highly illogical to have two songs in one songbook entry.. but an option tomload two songbook entries at once would be very welcome

Hi Bachus...We have covered this previously at a earlier time in this thread if you recall? (duplicated post)...

But worth a mention here, after sitting down with one of Korg Uk Official Demonstrators/Sound Designers recently there was a common agreement for a intergrated and simpler approach within the OS on this subject, which I believe has now been put forward to korg Italy for review.
hnoormohamed99

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject: Korg PA5X Functionality Reply with quote

One more thing that I experienced is that sample capability is still not working:
1- You cannot change CV length it only allows 1 measure.
2- Same goes with editing the styles: CV cannot be changed.

This very frustrating. I hope Korg will address this in their next OS release.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg PA5X Functionality Reply with quote

hnoormohamed99 wrote:
One more thing that I experienced is that sample capability is still not working:
1- You cannot change CV length it only allows 1 measure.
2- Same goes with editing the styles: CV cannot be changed.

This very frustrating. I hope Korg will address this in their next OS release.

my advice would be that you watch my tutorials, it's explained in one of the tutorials.

but in short:
- press rec edit
- press style edit
- press the menu button
- select the style edit tyle
- select cut/insert subtab

now you can insert or cut CV lengths from each element.

and if you want to use sliced sampleloops in styles, you don't even have to do that, you can assign the length automatically during the import of the sliced loop, just as I showed in my tutorial.
mstodola

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Qui. Works perfect. Pressing the Menu button after I'm deep into edit doesn't seem intuitive but it certainly works, therefore not missing as some have suggested. I wonder what else is there but nobody as yet has figured out how to get to it.

Although,(and I don't go near as deep as you do in programming ) my unit has locked, crashed, and rebooted unexpectedly more than once. And I'm using a UPS - an uninterruptible power supply. And it has always happened when there were no storms or foul weather. So I don't know what to say.

I still love using my Pa4x and Pa5x. I use one at church and the other at home. They are fun to use and great practice tools for me also. If someone wants a song for service it so quick to put something together, and I think they sound pretty good. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to create MIDI's, but I like doing things live where songs aren't so canned like Karaoke or mp3's. I like the idea of the MIDI's using the markers. Very cleaver.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: