Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KORG PA5X - Should I?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:18 pm    Post subject: KORG PA5X - Should I? Reply with quote

Should I pull the trigger on a KORG PA5X? I've been looking for a pro arranger and narrowed options to either the Yamaha GENOS, KORG PA5X 76, or maybe a second hand PA4X 76. I demoed both the GENOS and 5X side-by-side at a local shop and concluded the PA5X was the one. BUT, having read more on the PA5X I am having doubts. It seems the PA5X is very incomplete and has many many issues. Is this true? If so, to what extent? Are the issues a deal breaker?

Three reasons I eliminated the Yamaha Genos (for now but still may consider):
1. Genos is more expensive than the PA5X 76.
2. Genos is older than the PA5X by several years. Korg has new tech and there is a possibility Yamaha could release a new Genos in the near future (speculating).
3. I don't really care for the design and layout of the Genos. It comes across as too "home-organ-y".

My main goal for an arranger is for the styles, jamming, and composing. I have a full studio of synth gear etc which sometimes is cumbersome. I want something I can just sit down at, power up, and play and explore new ideas. When I first began music many years ago I began with arrangers and they were a great tool for woodshedding ideas and composing.

For the moment I am biding time to see what the April '23 NAMM show will bring. Hopefully Yamaha and/or KORG will announce something on the GENOS or PA5X that will decisively steer me. Alternately... I could purchase a second hand PA4X and call it a day.

Thoughts? Thanks for the feedback and direction.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are wise to wait.

At least both Korg and Yamaha have booths showing on the NAMM site map, but just what they will show is moot at present.

Not as though Korg tend to have used NAMM to showcase a new product but in the base of a 5X it was late June last year when it was released and here we are 9 months later with no serious update to its OS.
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: KORG PA5X - Should I? Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
Should I pull the trigger on a KORG PA5X? I've been looking for a pro arranger and narrowed options to either the Yamaha GENOS, KORG PA5X 76, or maybe a second hand PA4X 76. I demoed both the GENOS and 5X side-by-side at a local shop and concluded the PA5X was the one. BUT, having read more on the PA5X I am having doubts. It seems the PA5X is very incomplete and has many many issues. Is this true? If so, to what extent? Are the issues a deal breaker?

Three reasons I eliminated the Yamaha Genos (for now but still may consider):
1. Genos is more expensive than the PA5X 76.
2. Genos is older than the PA5X by several years. Korg has new tech and there is a possibility Yamaha could release a new Genos in the near future (speculating).
3. I don't really care for the design and layout of the Genos. It comes across as too "home-organ-y".

My main goal for an arranger is for the styles, jamming, and composing. I have a full studio of synth gear etc which sometimes is cumbersome. I want something I can just sit down at, power up, and play and explore new ideas. When I first began music many years ago I began with arrangers and they were a great tool for woodshedding ideas and composing.

For the moment I am biding time to see what the April '23 NAMM show will bring. Hopefully Yamaha and/or KORG will announce something on the GENOS or PA5X that will decisively steer me. Alternately... I could purchase a second hand PA4X and call it a day.

Thoughts? Thanks for the feedback and direction.

I think there are a few ways to approach this, dependant on your own personal requirements and what you are prepared to except pending Korg's on going Beta Development Program that many customers (annoyingly) find themselves subject to...

So.. this is what I would suggest where possible/practical...

(A) Find a dealer who would let you take a shop floor demo PA5x home for a few days pending a full refund on the return of the demo unit, this way you can hit it hard for 24/48 hrs extensive testing...

(B) Wait for Yamaha with a Genos replacement and then compare with PA5X, which we would like to think has progressed to a more satisfactory state from launch...

(C) Purchase a PA4X and explore (A) and/or (B) in 12 months' time

Last edited by D575 on Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
You are wise to wait.

At least both Korg and Yamaha have booths showing on the NAMM site map, but just what they will show is moot at present.

Not as though Korg tend to have used NAMM to showcase a new product but in the base of a 5X it was late June last year when it was released and here we are 9 months later with no serious update to its OS.

My understanding is that Korgs attendance at Namm 2023 is low-key with no display and only a meeting room with a coffee machine.
petr14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular playing are no problem on the Pa5X, it's great for that. Using the microphone and guitar as well. It lacks the functions that users have become accustomed to with older versions of the keyboards and which will be added. For example, creating styles from midi files. But does Genos even have it? However, creating and editing custom styles can be problematic, I would recommend waiting for debugging there.
Yamaha DX Reface, Casio CT-S1
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I’m using mine ( hobbyist only) the bugs are annoying. Be great when they add the style editing functions back in , in next update supposedly.
I stay away from the factory styles except for copying tracks from one style to another, or deleting tracks within the keyboard itself . Same goes for the Pa4x converted styles.

Currently creating some piano pads, sourced from psr styles. Initially did them for my sx900, now using them as source for PA5x pads.

Be great when we get the update.
If it was me , I’d be waiting for the update, ir possibly a Pa4x.

There hasn’t been any chatter about a new Genos as yet? unless I’ve missed it. I had the option of buying a Genos or PA5x. Couldn’t see much point in going for 5 year old technology , apart from which I have an sx900. I know what it’s capable of. Genos is just a more upmarket version. Extra voices etc , but still works the same.

Only reason I didn’t buy Pa4x, sold mine 4 years ago, big mistake getting rid of my 3 Korg arrangers. I’ve enjoyed my sx900, still doing, but it ain’t a Korg😀

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰
Wavesart Japanese Grand Piano

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are wise, WAIT FOR AN UPDATE!
And see if its something good.
If not, consider to jump of the train.
If you like to create thing, 5X is not the one now.

Good sounding, but nothing more (NOW)

YAMAHA is coming with something for sure.

I think YAMAHA is more in the workstation Synthesizer, Motly upgraded MONTAGE!

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="D575"]
Biggles wrote:

My understanding is that Korgs attendance at Namm 2023 is low-key with no display and only a meeting room with a coffee machine.

It wasn't even that. They shared that small room with many other brands. I don't know if that's just what they did after COVID, or that's how's gonna be going forward.

I'll be there...

D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sam CA"]
D575 wrote:
Biggles wrote:

It wasn't even that. They shared that small room with many other brands. I don't know if that's just what they did after COVID, or that's how's gonna be going forward.

I'll be there...

Not just Korg this year but also Roland with no display at Namm 2023.
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would wait on a rumored Genos 2; There is speculation Yamaha is upgrading the Montage and then will use that sound engine in a Genos 2.

I would also look at a Ketron Event if you are a pro player.
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbrkr wrote:
I would wait on a rumored Genos 2; There is speculation Yamaha is upgrading the Montage and then will use that sound engine in a Genos 2.

I would also look at a Ketron Event if you are a pro player.

I am also keen to see what Yamaha's Genos 2 will evolve into after feeling like I am stranded on a desert island with PA5X...

There is much talk about some sort of VA engine (possibly AN-X) for Montage, what would be really interesting (considering the above comment) if perhaps the Yamaha Synth division and Yamaha Arranger division (which are separate departments) are Collaborating or Merging for Genos 2 ?
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, update for Korg is a month or 2 away ( wait and see how they go this time😬. Maybe they’ll get it right. )
Can’t see a Genos 2 being available in that time frame.
Depends how long someone can afford to wait.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rikkisbears wrote:
Hi, update for Korg is a month or 2 away ( wait and see how they go this time😬. Maybe they’ll get it right. )
Can’t see a Genos 2 being available in that time frame.
Depends how long someone can afford to wait.

Cautiously Optimistic ? or Familiarity Breeds Contempt ?...

We will see when the PA5x update arrives...

Considering Korgs Road Map Timetable for PA5x, then I would say waiting for Genos 2 is very much affordable.
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D575 wrote:
rikkisbears wrote:

Cautiously Optimistic ?

Hi , let’s see, I’ll stick with cautiously optimistic .😀 haha.

It’s just a horrid situation, for some the keyboard is a nightmare in it’s current state, for others not so much. I’m just getting on with it. Putting together a songbook, recording chord sequences, editing the odd style.

Just hope for everyone else’s sake , they sort it.😞

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Niki_Keyz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by “pulling the trigger” you mean taking the pa5x out in your backyard and shooting it to pieces, then yes I would highly recommend.

The 5x most definitely holds the record for the worst arranger release that I know of. Korg Italy should be ashamed of this flop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: