Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos is the most amazing Midi Controller

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveyoung29

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Kronos is the most amazing Midi Controller Reply with quote

There are some frustrating limitations that if addressed would make the Kronos the perfect workstation. Those issues being

- additional midi over USB
- at least 36 tracks/channels in the sequencer and multi mode
- piano roll editing in the sequencer
- USB C, and to include support to display on USB C monitors including touch screen monitors

But, amongst all the amazing power the Kronos has as it is, the Kronos is the most amazing Midi Controller – unless some with more knowledge of these things can enlighten me. It’s worth thinking of it as the best ever midi controller, with some excellent sounds included.

Using Multi setups and Setlists, and a pedal to step through the setlists, the Kronos controls all my other synths, calling them in, changing their patches, volume levels etc, 16 (as it is) tracks/zones, triggering ARPs, drum patterns, etc. This enables me to be DAW free. Yeah, it is frustrating that the Kronos is a pain to edit sequences, and being limited to 16 midi tracks is just nonsense and embarrassing these days. But being able to perform in ‘setlist’ mode with the use of the control surface gives such extraordinary freedom to go with the moment, improvise, sound like an orchestra, and be amazingly creative.

How funny that Korg is so arrogant not to see what they had, and what was/is possible with just a few adjustments.

I only own one Kronos at present. The aim is to have a couple more Kronos’ over the next couple of years as and when I can afford them.

Steve
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos is the most amazing Midi Controller Reply with quote

steveyoung29 wrote:
It’s worth thinking of it as the best ever midi controller, with some excellent sounds included.

IMHO, the best MIDI controller ever is the Kurzweil MIDIboard (I have one). But indeed the Kronos as well also offers pretty good controller possibilities.
steveyoung29

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos is the most amazing Midi Controller Reply with quote

KK wrote:
steveyoung29 wrote:
It’s worth thinking of it as the best ever midi controller, with some excellent sounds included.

IMHO, the best MIDI controller ever is the Kurzweil MIDIboard (I have one). But indeed the Kronos as well also offers pretty good controller possibilities.

I looked-up the MIDbaord. I wouldn't want to bump into that on a dark night. A bit of a beast!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, at 85 lbs it only goes out for very important gigs. Laughing But it has the best action you can find, offers poly AT and lots more.
rpowell01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 9 years ago I use to use my Kronos X as a midi controller, I had it set up perfectly then my spine issues worsened, I had to cut back on playing and now that I had surgery and feeling much better I now have to remember how I had it all setup in Pro Tools.

I just plain forgot....

Anybody have any tutorial links. I recall something about setting it up in the Preferences section but I just cannot remember like I use to.

You are correct it is the best or was for me the best controller I've used.
steveyoung29

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the Multi's for your midi controlling.

I have my set up as...

midi
16 - Triton Studio
15 - Karma
14 - Triton Extreme
13 - Kross
12 - Wavestate Native
11 - Modwave Native
10 Opsix Native
9 - Surge XT VST via Cantabile
8 - Main Drum Channel
7 - Wavestation via iPad
6 - X5D
2 to 5 - Triton internal sounds for Kronos akrma settings or internal sequencer tracks
1 - Kronos main channel

My rig is all linked into iConnectivity Mio XL for midi connections.

Playing the Kronos on Midi 1. Each of the channels 6 to 16 will be played from midi channel 1 from the Kronos if the channels/tracks are set or switched to play. Using the midi tab I can set us keyboard splits, etc. I save my multi with my selected channels set to play for the synths I want to play from the Kronos. I create further Multi's with various desired configerations for which external synths I want to play. Then I arrange Multi's in Setlist in the order I want to step through. I've setup a pedal to step through setlists with various configerations. The frustration is being limited to 16 midi channels.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: