Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

korg kronos divisi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliv73

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: korg kronos divisi Reply with quote

Hello

Do anybody know if it's possible to create divisi on kronos without any extra soundbanks ?
Maybe with karma ?
I don't understand karma enough to understand how it would be possible

Oliver
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Velocity switching is one way to bring in extra instruments. Try playing the Combi "Orchestra and Timpani," which uses keyboard zoning and velocity switching, and see if that's the sort of thing you want to achieve.

The place to see how it's done, in the above Combi, is in the MIDI Filter/Zones tab, Keyboard Zones and Velocity Zones subtabs, where each Timbre in the Combi can be customised to come in at certain velocities, and in certain parts of the keyboard. The "Orchestra and Timpani" Combi also transposes some of the Timbres, to bring them into the desired playing pitch, and this can be seen in the Timbre Parameter | Pitch tab.

An additional way to control the various Timbres, would be to press the Timbre/Track Control Assign button, to the left of the Control Surface, and use the Control Surface sliders to vary individual Timbre volumes.

On top of all this, an Expression Pedal, set in Foot Pedal Assign as Expression (CC#11) in the Global settings, Controllers/Scales | Controllers tab, could be used to bring in and out selected Timbres, so essentially another layer of control on top of the other settings. The settings, to determine which Timbres respond to the Expression pedal, are in the Combi's MIDI Filter/Zones | MIDI Filter 3, by checking or unchecking the Enable Foot Pedal checkboxes.

In addition, there is the ability to Mute/Unmute various Timbres. This can be done using the onscreen buttons in the main Play tab, or by pressing the Timbre/Track Control Assign button, to the left of the Control Surface, and using the top row of buttons to toggle the mute status of Timbres 1-8 or 9-16.

The Kronos is an incredibly versatile instrument, and we haven't started on KARMA yet ;-)

See e.g: https://youtu.be/ex0qDLBHCds?t=1100

oliv73

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for your reply

Velocity switching :
yes I already use this technique for a couple of combis. Very convenient but it replaces not a divisi feature. It's very difficult to manage velocity in live situation while playing several keys with right+left hand. I am not virtuose enough to manage different velocities on different fingers on both hands at the same time.

Timbre/Track Control Assign button :
I didn't try this technique despite the fact I read several time kronos documentations about it. It seems more adapted when we play only 1 hand

Foot pedal Assign
It's a great feature to transform the sound in live situation but I don't see how to replace "divisi"

Mute-unmute
great to change sound in live but not as a divisi

For now the best result I got was to set poly-mono parameter in HD1 engine
If we create a combi with 2 HD1 programs
prog1 = set to 'mono' priority=low
prog2 = set to mono priority=high
we can define zones where these sound will play together but not the same note
Could be great but that produce som artefacts on release (one ms different will produce a portamento from note 1 to note 2 )

Kronos versatility : for sure ! But there is so much parameter that it's very difficult to find these solutions Smile

Oliver
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define what you mean by divisi, applied to a digital keyboard context, then we might be able to help you better.
oliv73

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here some divisi examples

divisimate :
https://divisimate.com/

jupiter80
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyTLv6QOqcE

tyros 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjt60nA7dUA

ketron has also this kind of feature (Duet-trio : you play 3 notes and every note will play a different instrument)

This feature is implemented in 3rd party kronos sound libraries as well ...

Oliver
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the examples linked to, it sounds as if a number of instruments, as might be found in a typical Kronos Combi, have been zoned to sound individually when different keys, across the keyboard range, are played. It's entirely plausible, of course, that I'm missing something here.

Xenophile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't familiar with the term "divisi," though I think I've seen it on conductor's scores. I have seen some virtual instruments, for example Kontakt Studio Horns that have some sort of "intelligent voice assignment" function that will do something like assign the lowest voice of a 3-note chord to a trombone, the middle voice to a sax, and the high note to a trumpet. I could never get it to behave the way I wanted it, so I would just record each voice separately into my DAW.

I would imagine that you could do something like it using Karma, for example, the lowest note played would go to channel 1, next-to-lowest to channel 2, etc. But you would have lots of special cases to deal with, that could get complicated quickly. What if you wanted the "trombone" on channel 1 to rest while the sax and trumpet on channels 2 and 3 keep playing? Or what if one of the notes is beyond the range of the desired instrument?
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we always win (and so does the music) if we record each instrument one by one, each on his own track.
Combis should only serve as examples. Then we start from scratch. Idea

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
oliv73

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

For sure it's better to record track by track but my question was concerning live situations.

Yes It must generate complex behaviours but we could imagine to have different algorithm regarding lowest/upper - first/last - priority as we find in voice stealing management ?

I investigate in karma
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would personally achieve this partly using clever combi programming with things like special AMS uses, fancy instrument panning, etc. Even though the Kronos remains an excellent keyboard controller nowadays, I would also use an older machine with more possibilities like the Kurzweil MIDIboard to achieve the things not available in the Kronos as a controller. I actually have programmed such complex orchestral stuff like that decades ago.

For Karma, your best bet would be to PM our friend Stephen Kay here, he is the inventor of Karma and can tell if his Kronos version of the software can do such things. Cool
KingKronos

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, KARMA should be able to do it.
A few years ago I used KARMA to do something similar.
But more from a horn section view.

All played live by just the right hand doing 4-5 note chords:
- trumpet top note
- alto and tenor sax middle notes
- trombones lower notes

I seem to recall it had to do with zones and note priority in KARMA.
It was for B-52s Love Shack and a couple other songs.
You may find some tips on the KARMA forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: