Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freeing up memory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drvenom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:09 pm    Post subject: Freeing up memory Reply with quote

I have a Kronos x88 and have the library to update it to 2.0 plus the Austrian Grand. This left me with 33MB RAM left. I want to buy the Italian grand expansion during the black friday sale. Is there a way to free up ram without having to get rid of the Austrian Grand? Or do I have to uninstall the Austrian or do some kind of unload to use the Italian expansion. What is the best way to manage these libraries or ram. Thank you.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to uninstall anything. To make a long story short, the RAM loading is done in Global mode under the KSC auto-load. You can have tons of libraries installed on the SSD but you can only load a number of them. That's where you decide what is loaded for a particular session.

You can also clean up each of the KSC files, including the big PRELOAD. In other words, you probably don't need every single sound/sample in each of those files. There is a method to decide what samples are loaded in each KSC. Once you know what you want, save new iterations of KSC files and load those instead of the original bigger ones. For example, why load gazilions of drumsets if you only play the same 4 all the time or why load the una corda set of piano samples of a library if you don't use it, etc.

I've reduced several libraries on my Kronos without spending too much time and could easily gain 450+ Mb. The full EXs21 Fazioli piano needs 306 Mb, so you'll need to cut 273 Mb somewhere.
drvenom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an app to help with that process or does one do it on the screen of the kronos?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, there is no freeware to help for this particular task. One way to reduce the size of KSC files is to work on them one by one in Global mode under the KSC auto load tab. For each KSC, you will see the list of samples/sounds it contains. You can then remove all the ones you don't plan to use.

Another approach is to open the KSC files in a text editor and remove the lines of the samples/sounds you don't want, but it's much trickier since depending on the library sometimes the sample/sound names are not clearly defined. I would recommend to start working on the Kronos screen and later maybe you can compare what you did with the files in a text editor.
CliveJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could unload the ones you are pretty sure you don’t want. If you later call on a program that needs samples it’ll display a message telling you which ones are missing so you can add them back in if you wish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: