Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Windows 10 Driver for Pa5X?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basspig

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:29 am    Post subject: No Windows 10 Driver for Pa5X? Reply with quote

Checking the Korg downloads and they only list compatibility for a few dozen products EXCEPT Pa5X.

Since I already have a KRONOS linked to my Windows DAW, I am wondering if it is a universal Korg driver and simply plugging in my Pa5X would recognize it?
Basspig

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Windows Device Manager, I am seeing Pa5X_KEYBOARD and Pa5X_SOUND under "Software Devices"

However, Cakewalk Sonar does not see the device.
Nor does Open Broadcaster Software see the sound device as it does my KRONOS (which appears under a different hardware category).

Do I need an updated driver to use Pa5X with Windows?
hmb1963

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Cakewalk for pre-processing and recording MIDI files.
I had connected my old Pa4X via the Korg USB MIDI interface and it worked fine.
So I tried to connect the Pa5X same way about half a year ago using the Korg USB midi driver (1.15 r49e 09/22/2022) which does not include the Pa5X in the list of supported devices and, accordingly, does not recognize the Pa5X during installation. Now the latest driver is 1.15 r51e 10/24/2023 which still does not include the Pa5X in the list of supported devices. So the setup is cancelled.

When connecting the Pa5X to a PC without special Korg USB driver installed for the old MME driver mode a "Generic USB Device" is installed which seems to work halfway, the new UWP (Universal Windows Platform) driver mode shows the ports "Pa5X Keyboard" and "Pa5X Sound" as described in the manual, but they don't seem to allow the transfer of the midi controller or program changes. Only note events are transferred.
In Cakewalk MME mode the controller and program changes are transmitted. I have not set any filters in the Pa5X MIDI I/O preset.

I stopped investigating in this issue and use my old USB-standard-cable-MIDI-interface which is working fine until Korg provides a solution.
So one more already payed function to wait for. Sad
Basspig

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not good news. But thanks for confirming that it's not something I'm doing wrong.

I myself updated the Korg driver, but still Cakewalk does not see it for me either. It only shows up under software devices as I listed in my initial post.

I was hoping that I would also be able to see the Korg drives and the thumb drive in the front USB port where I save my recordings, from the PC, as, unlike my KRONOS, there is no networking feature on the Pa5X, so I have to keep plugging and unplugging the USB drive to transfer files to PC.

I remember using a PCG to INS tool to convert my KRONOS instrument maps to instrument definition files for Cakewalk Sonar. I wonder if there is going to be a utility to do this in Pa5X. Right now, I am only able to use it standalone and even if I were to use a MIDI cable, I'm stuck with undefined lists of instruments in Cakewalk.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basspig wrote:

I was hoping that I would also be able to see the Korg drives and the thumb drive in the front USB port where I save my recordings, from the PC, as, unlike my KRONOS, there is no networking feature on the Pa5X, so I have to keep plugging and unplugging the USB drive to transfer files to PC.

if you connect it with a usb cable you can use all the drives directly on a PC for copying your midi files, mp3's, backups or whatever you want.

it's explained in how to create a style tutorial on my channel
Basspig

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:

if you connect it with a usb cable you can use all the drives directly on a PC for copying your midi files, mp3's, backups or whatever you want.

it's explained in how to create a style tutorial on my channel

I have a USB cable going from Device port on Pa5X to my PC USB port, but I don't see any Korg drives. Am I using the wrong USB port on the Pa5X?

I'll have to watch all the tutorials and try to grasp how this is done.
hmb1963

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basspig wrote:

I have a USB cable going from Device port on Pa5X to my PC USB port, but I don't see any Korg drives. Am I using the wrong USB port on the Pa5X?

Did you select the Korg drive to be published from the Pa5X "File" menu?

Basspig wrote:

use it standalone and even if I were to use a MIDI cable, I'm stuck with undefined lists of instruments in Cakewalk.

A good Pa5X instrument definition file (.ins) was made and published by galambjozsef.
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=129786&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=cakewalk
Use second link in post and press "Csomag Letöltése" to download file.
Basspig

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even know what that means, so probably not.

Under file menu I click on USB F and I see list of files on the thumb drive. The upper right menu offers options to format, protect, unprotect, etc. Don't see anything about "publish". Where is this option?
hmb1963

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First press "FILE" button on the Pa5X.

If the file list has appeared on the touch display press "MENU" button on the Pa5X.

Then press "USB Connection" on the touch display.

Select Device and press "ENABLE" button.
Basspig

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see now. Only the Korg drive is showing though, not the USB F.

UPDATE:

It looks like the USB F can't be shared or "published".

I looked things up in the manual and it seems that internal drives can be published. So I explored the SD card slot.

They mention micro SD card, but looking in there, I see what looks like a cardbus port at first. Later, I realized they are referring to TWO micro SD slots sandwiching the battery. So I inserted one there and started up the keyboard.

I now have an internal drive, and I was able to make it accessible to the PC. However, I can't exit the menu while it's accessible. I have to disable it before I can use the instrument. A minor inconvenience. Not sure if navigating the menus saves time over unplugging and plugging a thumbdrive.
Basspig

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to the driver, not even Open Broadcaster Software OBS (which I use for live streaming) can see Pa5X, but it sees KRONOS SOUND and I can feed digital audio from KRONOS to my stream. But it looks like I will need analog audio to stream the Pa5X as digital is not showing up.

So no Cakewalk Sonar use and no streaming without a driver.
hmb1963

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, I see now. Only the Korg drive is showing though, not the USB F.

You can either select the Korg internal drive or the two optional SD cards if this cards or at least one are installed. I installed two 64GB SD cards in the Pa5X which work fine and can be accessed this way.

As an alternative I have an USB stick which can be switched either to the USB F port of the Pa5X or to the PC USB port via a mechanical 2-Port-USB switch. The mechanical switch allows a galavanic separation of Pa5X and PC which is not ensured by an electronic USB switch. So it is the same as plugging in and out the USB stick but more comfortable.

UPDATE:
Ok. Streaming is already a different story.
Basspig

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't thought of a USB switch. I used to have a printer A/B switch 30 years ago. An interesting way to work around the problem.

I still think it would be much more convenient if Korg allowed the SD card to be sharable in Windows whenever the Pa5X is powered on.

The bigger issue right now for me is that I can't access it with my DAW.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basspig wrote:

The bigger issue right now for me is that I can't access it with my DAW.

I don't use sonar, but in cubase and ableton it works flawlessly, you can even use it with other software, like I have shown in the yamaha midi to style tutorial where I also use the korg pa5x for the midi file to style conversion. (see the video below)

There are a few things to know:
- the korg pa5x midi driver is a generic driver, it's called Generic USB Midi
- on the korg pa5x you have to setup your midi profile in the settings midi section
- For general style use the channel 1 is the global channel, the controls like for instance changing the variations or fills you have to sent those on midi channel 2 and set that channel in the settings midi In section of the pa5x to CONTROL
- for standard use, you can also set it up for 16 midi channels on your pa5x in the settings midi section (there are also presets in the pa5x settings midi page for this).

- Quick style record is supported in your daw, just press record on a midi channel and play your performance on the pa5x, after that you will have one midi track with all the information, so for instance in cubase (I don't know how sonar works), just select that track in cubase and select dissolve in the menu and your complete arrangement with all the midi tracks will appear in your daw screen

- when you are an experienced user then you can also define your pa5x as an external instrument in cubase (don't know if that is possible in sonar), and then you can add a sound XML file which allows you to select the sound in cubase itself per sound, then cubase takes care of the program changes (MSB/LSB) for you. If you want to do this, then you have to create that sound.xml file yourself or download it from other users that have created it (I downloaded my file on this forum or from facebook from a user, I can't remember which post it was, but they can be found online if you search for them i guess)

But for standard use you just use the Generic USB Midi destination and then you can use your pa5x in your daw. It really is very easy to do as shown in the video below (and also shown in my cubase midi to style tutorials on my channel).

regarding your Streaming question in OBS: Korg keyboards (none of the models) have audio over usb support, so to set that up just connect the analog outputs of your pa5x to a soundcard input and assign an audio input to that input in OBS for the scene you are using.

skip to 15:45 to see how to use the korg pa5x as a soundsource over MIDI.
Basspig

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know what you mean about generic MIDI device, as Windows 10 no longer supports my Edirol UM-550 and I was able to press a sequence of buttons on the Edirol to put it into generic mode so Cakewalk Sonar would see it once again.

However, Cakewalk's device list is only showing my Kronos but not the Pa5X in it's MIDI device list, so I cannot record to it from Pa5X nor can I drive the Pa5X from it.

Also, unlike the Kronos, Pa5X audio is not showing up in OBS list of audio devices, so I can't use the digital audio output to stream live.

On the Pa5X under settings, MIDI, I see MIDI Preset. Then there's a bunch like Master Keyboard, etc. Is that what I select to make the Pa5X visible to the PC?

But at the moment NONE of my audio software can see the Pa5X hardware. Not Adobe Audition. Not Cakewalk. Not OBS. Not SoundForge. But the Kronos is visible just fine and can be used.

Down the road, (when I get the Pa5X to talk to Windows MIDI/audio programs) I will need to make instrument definition files for Cakewalk. On the Kronos it was easy as they have a PCG2INS utility that makes the INS file automatically by translating the instruments list from the PCG file. I hope there will be such a utility for the Pa5X!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: