Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Player Style No MIDI Recorded to Ext Sequencer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basspig

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:26 am    Post subject: Player Style No MIDI Recorded to Ext Sequencer Reply with quote

I'm trying to send the entire performance out to my DAW/sequencer (Cakewalk Sonar) so I can tweak the performance in the editor.

I have the MIDI settings as follows;

Ch1: Upper
Ch2: Upper
Ch3: Upper
Ch4: Lower
Ch5: Player 1 tr 9/Sty Bass
Ch6: Player 1 tr 10/Sty Drum
Ch7: Player 1 tr 11/Sty Parc
Ch8: Player 1 tr 12/Sty Acc1
Ch9: Player 1 tr 13/Sty Acc2

When I set it up this way, it briefly worked. I saved my MIDI file and later when I re opened it, all my ports and input channels were set to some default. So I set them all back to what I remembered as the working configuration, but two things are happening: the sound assignments change the moment I start Cakewalk recording and, no MIDI data gets recorded. This so frustrating, because as far as I can tell, I've set everything up the same as when it briefly worked.
I've even restarted Cakewalk, thinking it'd lost connection with Pa5X. However, it no longer works. Something's broken.

Even a simple test: Upper 1 outputs to MIDI ch 1. Cakewalk set track one to record Pa5X chan 1. Armed track, hit record, start playing keyboard. Stop recording. No MIDI events appear.
Playback test: I can put MIDI events on each track with my mouse and hit play and the Pa5X plays the correct sounds. But Pa5X is suddenly not sending MIDI data back to Cakewalk.

In Cakewalk I have every track on a unique separate channel. However, when I start recording, the instruments for Player 1 change. Drums get changed to a horn section for instance. But there's no patch changes in the Cakewalk project file. I deleted all the data from all tracks so that should not be happening.
I also have the correct instruments assigned to each track, but again, the wrong sounds result.

What am I missing here?

UPDATE: I power cycled the Pa5X and it is working properly now. Hmmm..
korgpask

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I had the same problem.
So if the Pa5X instrument is set correctly - the MIDI output was correct.
Likewise, CAKEWALK must be set. MIDI IN - a channel like the Pa5X midi channel.

If it does not record any notes for recording, there will be a problem in the MIDI DRIVER in the PC.

I assume you are using WINDOWS.
Windows does what it wants. When updating windows, everything appears to be fine, but it secretly removes MIDI communication from the Pa5X. And as an interesting point, I will say that playing MIDI in CAKEWALK-SONAR towards Pa4X or Pa5X works, but recording and midi recording does NOT.

I recommend: reinstall the MIDI DRIVER and it will work properly.
Basspig

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The odd part is that the driver or the keyboard lost the ability to SEND MIDI data to the PC. I could send MIDI data to the Pa5X--it would play any notes I put in Cakewalk. But it would not record until I power cycled the Pa5X.
There's only the generic USB driver for this, no Korg specific driver supports it yet. Hopefully this will be fixed soon, but now I know what to do if it happens again.
korgpask

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using the driver from Pa4X
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: