Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some basic questions re the PA5X's MIDI/audio connectivity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjmarano

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:41 pm    Post subject: Some basic questions re the PA5X's MIDI/audio connectivity Reply with quote

Seriously considering acquiring a PA5X and have both viewed a number of YouTube videos as well as perused the forum here. I'm aware that the keyboard is going through some growing pains and am willing to give Korg the benefit of the doubt that any glaring deficiency will eventually be rectified in a (hopefully) not-too-distant software update. However, there are three particularly important things that I'd like to confirm. And please excuse me if these seem overly basic...

First, I'd like to be able to connect the PA5X to my M1-based MacBook Pro so that I can use the former as a MIDI controller. I'd want to do this primarily to access - if and when desired - the myriad VSTs that I have accumulated to either complement or possibly substitute for the PA5X's internal sounds during a particular performance. I assume that this is readily doable utilizing the PA5X's midi-over-USB connection? And that I don't have to purchase a third party MIDI-USB interface like the MOTU Express?

Second, I'd also like to be able to utilize that midi-over-USB connection to record a FULL song to my DAW (Logic Pro), namely both the auto-accompaniment generated by a PA5X style as well as my own freestyle performance. Is that doable? It's my understanding that the PA5X currently lacks the onboard sequencing capability to record all such song data, and that it's supposedly going to be made available in a future update. But does that inability to record the PA5X's auto-accompaniment also extend to what it sends to one's DAW? And if it that capability IS currently possible, can I capture the MIDI output as separate tracks, or does it all go out on one track?

Third, I understand that the PA5X lacks a digital audio out, which thus requires one to utilize a third party audio interface to accept the (presumably stereo) analog output of the Korg?

For the record, while I can live with the third constraint above (though disappointing), the first two requirements (basic MIDI connectivity to drive VSTs and to record the entire MIDI stream generated by the PA5X into a DAW) are essential requirements for me.

Again, I apologize for asking such basic questions but just want to be certain of what I'd be getting into.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Some basic questions re the PA5X's MIDI/audio connectivi Reply with quote

sjmarano wrote:

Seriously considering acquiring a PA5X and have both viewed a number of YouTube videos as well as perused the forum here. I'm aware that the keyboard is going through some growing pains and am willing to give Korg the benefit of the doubt that any glaring deficiency will eventually be rectified in a (hopefully) not-too-distant software update. However, there are three particularly important things that I'd like to confirm. And please excuse me if these seem overly basic...

First, I'd like to be able to connect the PA5X to my M1-based MacBook Pro so that I can use the former as a MIDI controller. I'd want to do this primarily to access - if and when desired - the myriad VSTs that I have accumulated to either complement or possibly substitute for the PA5X's internal sounds during a particular performance. I assume that this is readily doable utilizing the PA5X's midi-over-USB connection? And that I don't have to purchase a third party MIDI-USB interface like the MOTU Express?

yes the pa5x can be used as a midi controller keyboard. It adds a generic A Class Usb midi driver connection which you can use in your daw (you don't need to install drivers for this).
You can of course play the VST's and you can use the internal pa5x sounds in your projects by sending midi notes to them. You can even control the styles from the pa5x over the Control midi channel (you can set this in the midi configuration on the pa5x, in this case you have to set the CONTROL channel on midi channel 2 as input to make this work). The other style elements can be reached on midi channel 9-16.

If you want full midi control like faders and knobs then that is not possible, the pa5x doesn't send have Midi CC Output assignments for the hardware faders, knobs and matrix pads. If you want this added and you don't have other midi controllers in your setup (like for instance the midi fighter twister).

sjmarano wrote:

Second, I'd also like to be able to utilize that midi-over-USB connection to record a FULL song to my DAW (Logic Pro), namely both the auto-accompaniment generated by a PA5X style as well as my own freestyle performance. Is that doable? It's my understanding that the PA5X currently lacks the onboard sequencing capability to record all such song data, and that it's supposedly going to be made available in a future update. But does that inability to record the PA5X's auto-accompaniment also extend to what it sends to one's DAW? And if it that capability IS currently possible, can I capture the MIDI output as separate tracks, or does it all go out on one track?

Yes that is possible, you can record the complete style performance on a midi channel and then dissolve it in your daw to separate tracks. I don't know Logic, but that probably can do it too. Cubase can do this by selecting the recorded midi track and then select the option Dissolve. After that you can modify anything you want in your DAW, as long as you save your style setup (sound and FX assignments) to a song or style you can recall later. It is possible to use 16 midi channels if needed in song mode.

Alternatively you can also route each element to separate midi tracks, as long as your DAW supports the filtering on midi channels.

sjmarano wrote:

Third, I understand that the PA5X lacks a digital audio out, which thus requires one to utilize a third party audio interface to accept the (presumably stereo) analog output of the Korg?

correct,
you need an external Audio interface to record the sounds of the pa5x in your daw. There are four outputs that you can assign in your style or song, so it is possible to route the percussion to for instance a channel and the bass to a separate channel and the rest of the style to the stereo out. If you have four inputs on your third party audio interface you can record those four analog sounds at the same time in your daw (or listen to them live through your daw and your daw effect processing setup.

Keep in mind that you have to figure out a lot of these things yourself, the knowledge level about these topics isn't really high in the keyboard scene.
sjmarano

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for this extremely comprehensive and informative reply, Qui. I greatly appreciate it! Frankly, it cleared up some false impressions I had about the limitations of the PA5X based on some comments I had read here. While lack of a digital audio out is disappointing, having the ability to route to four separate audio tracks along with the PA5X making all midi data available to an external device is very welcome news.

For the record, I am planning to retire my venerable Yamaha Motif XF8 and have been debating between a Montage M8X and the PA5X. I realize they are in very different keyboard classes, but because I currently only have room for one main keyboard, I am facing this choice. While I love almost everything Yamaha has done to improve the Montage, I feel it's better to base my decision primarily on how I have been - and plan to - use a keyboard going forward. My current thinking is that the PA5X might be better suited to what I want to do - namely to use the keyboard as an inspirational compositional tool to explore ideas and create the initial framework of a song before refining and completing it via a DAW. And additionally, that the PA5X's auto-accompaniment styles would represent a significantly more helpful and enjoyable tool when I am playing and improvising strictly live, compared to the Montage's arpeggiation and pattern sequencing capabilities.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that this desired way of employing the PA5X aligns with many of your YouTube tutorial videos, which is why I so value your viewpoints here. So if you don't mind, do you think my line of thinking above about which keyboard to acquire makes sense?
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjmarano wrote:
Thanks so much for this extremely comprehensive and informative reply, Qui. I greatly appreciate it! Frankly, it cleared up some false impressions I had about the limitations of the PA5X based on some comments I had read here. While lack of a digital audio out is disappointing, having the ability to route to four separate audio tracks along with the PA5X making all midi data available to an external device is very welcome news.

yes, the information in comments on the internet is often not correct, especially on things that are a little bit more technical it's better to try the things for yourself.

sjmarano wrote:

For the record, I am planning to retire my venerable Yamaha Motif XF8 and have been debating between a Montage M8X and the PA5X. I realize they are in very different keyboard classes, but because I currently only have room for one main keyboard, I am facing this choice. While I love almost everything Yamaha has done to improve the Montage, I feel it's better to base my decision primarily on how I have been - and plan to - use a keyboard going forward.

My current thinking is that the PA5X might be better suited to what I want to do - namely to use the keyboard as an inspirational compositional tool to explore ideas and create the initial framework of a song before refining and completing it via a DAW. And additionally, that the PA5X's auto-accompaniment styles would represent a significantly more helpful and enjoyable tool when I am playing and improvising strictly live, compared to the Montage's arpeggiation and pattern sequencing capabilities.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that this desired way of employing the PA5X aligns with many of your YouTube tutorial videos, which is why I so value your viewpoints here. So if you don't mind, do you think my line of thinking above about which keyboard to acquire makes sense?

I've also used a Motif XF8 for many years, it's a great keyboard with very good sounds.

If you just want to have some styles to play along with to get fresh and new ideas then a Pa5x is a better solution then the Montage MX8, if you just want to upgrade the sounds then I would go for the Montage MX8 which is an amazing synth in that category.

But if you are using the pa5x together with VST's and VST effects for your professional productions then you can always replace the pa5x sounds with the VST sounds and reroute the drums to for instance a better Battery drumkit. You can do these things in realtime or afterwards.

I use Arrangers only for fun purposes, whenever I want to play or practice things then I fire up the Pa5x or Genos and play a few hours. It's also great to create new song ideas on an arranger and then work them out in the daw with other hardware synths or VST's.

You could also go the Montage MX8 route, in that case you can also buy the Band In A Box VST software to add styles to your playing.
sjmarano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Qui. I've considered Band in a Box but as I'm sure you know, it along with similar programs (e.g. Jjazzlab, Chordpulse) doesn't allow you to modulate chords in real time but only input pre-defined backing tracks. I've never understood why the mfrs of those products haven't added real time auto-accompaniment functionality. I've also tried software-based arrangers like Varranger, Giglad and ReChord that claimed to offer it, but I gave up because they are extremely kludgy and tedious to work with, and very 'picky'/restrictive in what operating systems they will work with (I use a late model M1 MacBook Pro). That's why I'm leaning towards the PA5X. My interests are pretty much as you described - namely to use the keyboard to initially play around and come up with a song idea and then use a DAW and VSTs to refine and complete it. And I'd say that 80-90% of my time is spent doing that initial playing around, which is why I think an arranger would be more suitable. Looking back on how I've used the Motif, I probably have used a tiny fraction of its sequencing/arpeggiation capabilities as I find them more cumbersome to use than in a DAW. I'm thinking/hoping that the PA5X's user interface will be significantly easier to use to support the kind of things I do at the keyboard so that I'll actually use its features!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: