Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M3 Vs. Oasys
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
subeih

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did consider buying a Kurzweil. We don't have yamaha motiffs in Jordan. However I remember playing the K2500 when the latest korg model was 01WFD, and it blew me away. However I feel that Korg is leading everyone else. I mean it's a matter of taste after all. Also in our region (Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, ...etc) the most popular brand by far is Korg and you can sell it much easier than any other brand. Also korg has a Joystick which I can use pretty well vs. the wheel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please forgive my ignorance and understand my post is not meant to be disrespectful, but instead is meant as a curiosity on my own part. What is the reason, in your opinion why the most popular brand by far is Korg and you can sell it much easier than any other brand? Is it because Korg has better sounds which are more usable in the music of your country/region?
subeih

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Sorry for not replying earlier as I was out of the country for two weeks.

The reason is Korg became immensley popular after releasing the M1 and T3 that as soon as the O1WFD was released it followed on the success of the previous models. The main reason Korg has become so popular is because most musicians follow what others fellow musicans buy.

In western music you get to develop a lot of new sounds from your machines that are then used in songs (especially pop type). In our regions, keyboards are very much used for solo sounds and not chords since our music is melodic and not harmonice like in the west. Most don't want to go learn a new instrument, they want to buy a machine that already has so much support in the market (except studio musicians who tend to carry several different brands of synths for studio work)

Also becoming very popular now is a Ketron model called Vega, it's no where close to any of the top four makers AKA yamaha, roland, korg, and kurzweil.

As far as kurzweil is concerned top musicians know that it's of an excellent quality but quite expensive.

Also most of musicians like to use the joystick and not the two wheels and that's why korg succeeded more than Yamaha and kurzweil. Also because so many sounds have been developed for it already that makes it impossible for other brands to compete in this market. I believe if kurzweil offer a joystick option it will increase sales by folds.

That's my intake , actually most (live) musicians don't really discover the true features of the machines in terms of sound quality. Most just used sounds that are already there, maybe change the effects or something. And they add some ethnic samples that are needed in the keyboard for our type of music. Not many really apply the synthesis power of these keyboards.

I think Roland, Yamaha, Kurzweil can produce equally wonderful sounds, but I think korg is the best out of the box sounding machine.

I hope I answered your question, and again sorry for the delay

Best regards,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jinxby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salam Subeih,

your English is infinitely better than my Arabic....I wonder whether Korg keyboards are also more popular, in Middle-East especially, because of the readily available Arabic styles, also the scale is quite easily switched to Arabic scale.
$US8000......quite a good price, I think that's the retail price in US. I think they cost quite a lot more here, despite the high $NZ.
Do you play much at the moment or will the Oasys or M3 (whichever you decide) be your first? I only ask because you will maybe need amplifier as well as keyboard...

ma'a al salama

jinxby
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

subeih,

Thank you very much for your reply. Your explanation was exactly what I was looking for. I learned something new today and have gained insight into another region of the world and their keyboard preferences. Cool
subeih

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Jinxby,

Well, the truth is Korg doesn't make any middle eastern styles for their machines. Yamaha with their arranger keyboards made arabic styles, there is also too models by yamaha that are dedicated arabic keyboards.

Korg wins hands down with the sound quality, the past four years witnessed the emergence of Ketron Vega arranger (made by Ketron) which dominated pretty much most of the live setups due to wide range of sounds (which were not anywhere close to korg, Yamaha, or Roland)but still good enough. Where it really shined was it's arabic styles which were really good and very live like. That made them very popular.

As far as arabic scales, they are found in the global page, so not as easy as pressing a button as found on Yamaha arrangers or vega ketron.

As for styles, most work done on Korg was done through sampling of the Yamaha and Vega sounds, then converting their styles. I am not sure if it's viable economically for Korg to produce a dedicated EXB.

I can say if korg develops an EXB card for the PA1x series with Middle Eastern styles and sounds, they will rule the market in arranger keyboards as well.

In summary Synth are ruled by Korg. Arrangers are ruled by Ketron.

I am not sure what you mean by spending 8000USD. I lost you there.

As for me I had the pleasure of playing the Oasys two years ago in Amsterdam. I almost bought it several months ago, but cancelled last minute.

I have a PA1xpro which serves the purpose for me, since it has trition type sounds, sometimes i think you can produce better sounds on the PA1xpro than on an extreme in addition to some great styles (rock, jazz,..etc). For Arabic music we rely on people who sample sounds and copy styles from other arrangers.

I am thinking of buying an M3, but want to wait a bit before Korg decideds to introduce a newer version of M3.

I am not a professional musician. Music is my passion and my life but I am an engineer working in a private business, hoping one day I could become a full time mucisian.

Hope that answers your question.

Best regards,
jinxby

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Subeih,

Yes, sorry, my mistake. You quoted 8000 for the Oasys, and 3000 for the M3; just my memory skipping from one page to the next!

I wonder whether it will be quite a while before a new version of M3 appears, as it was only a few months ago M3 was released.

I'm sure you are right regarding the styles too....

Coincidence, I'm also in engineering, tool design in a can making plant, mainly for exporting milk powder.
I just enjoy playing keyboard, prefer jazz/blues, but will try to play a bit of anything really. My only hope of becoming a full time musician is when I retire....not too long to go!

I wish you well in you hopes of becoming a professional musician.

How good is the quality of the Pa1X Pro? I'm thinking of how physiacally sturdy it is ( for example, do you feel confident you won't break keys when you do a gliss or slide?), also whether it has been electronically reliable, and the consistency of the sounds (for example, notes, which you would expect to stay 'spot on' frequency, do they 'drift' at all?).

Regards...........Jinxby
cirlcleoftruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Kevin Nolan Reply with quote

Yes it is true. The Oasys is the best sounding synth on the planet Earth. It only has a P....s**t, it's so old I don't remember the proceesor...only that it runs hot, eats up energy, and controls the overall power of the Oasys. As soon as the next generation comes out I will buy one.

Korg has always been ahead of the game, but they don't know how to market their products. I would double their profits in two years.... if I wanted a job that is.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Kevin Nolan Reply with quote

cirlcleoftruth wrote:
Y
but they don't know how to market their products. I would double their profits in two years.... if I wanted a job that is.

sure you could, Internet warrior

Its an honor you share your wisdom

There is no compensation worthy of your articulate, thoughtful observations
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Kevin Nolan Reply with quote

cirlcleoftruth wrote:
Korg has always been ahead of the game, but they don't know how to market their products.

Most people conclude that Marketing is something Korg does very well.

cirlcleoftruth wrote:
I would double their profits in two years.... if I wanted a job that is.

I could cure cancer tomorrow... if I wanted to.
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: M3 Vs. Oasys Reply with quote

subeih wrote:
I know that Oasys is the flagship and mother of all keyboards out there.

However I have a single question, if I am buying the keybaord for the sounds only, are they similar. Is the Oasys still better sounding machine. I only care about sounds as the M3 features are more than enough. However I am willing though to pay more if sounds on the Oasys are better.

Thanks
Murad

Murad,
I have an OASYS (for about one year).
I was considering adding an M3(M) as a "portable" Karma2 device
(with control surface and sound module in one box).

But. ..

As soon as the M3 became available at our local store, I spent over
one hour hovering over it (good studio monitors). Two separate
occasions, once in Clearwater and again in Orlando (nearer the
OASYS).

I am not getting an M3 (w/Radias option) because of the sound
quality difference (noticeable to me and my partner, and important).
. .

. . .and somewhat important, "ease of use" due to the "cutting down"
of the control surface (probably to reduce size AND cost, mostly
cost) in the M3. . . .and, I am seriously attached to using the 10
inch touch screen.

The Karma2 is the same as the OASYS but adapted (programmed)
for the differences in the synth engines. (There IS a difference.)

The other "sound" difference is simple, the M3 has an improved
(over the Triton Studio/Extreme) synthesis engine BUT not even
close to the OASYS. . . (derived from OASYS technology that
existed long before this "final" OASYS WS offering.)
. . .and then, there are the other synth engines provided in the
OASYS that are blowing away the competition in their own types,
such as Virtual Analog, Physical modeling (B-3/CX-3 organ) and
Physical Modeling in the STR-1 plucked synth AND the LAC-1
Legacy Analog synths (2).

Not just "more" sounds but better than ever across the entire market
(at least very competitive).

My "most important" concern is a HUGE difference in "ease of use"
due to. . . many things, such as the control surface, 10in touch
screen (not just bigger but works as a "screen jump" function as
well as "tabbed" to navigate VERY quickly and easily around a
very deep, broad and complex package (even excluding the Karma
functions).
I mention control surface and ease of use because the sound can be
"tuned" in many ways from the control surface without entering the
programming screens. A real quality feature not readily understood
until some hours after "taking the OASYS home" (or M3).
Certainly a "sound" comparison feature, yes?

I was not disappointed in the M3, just forced to understand that I
was REALLY SPOILED by the OASYS !!! Sound and function!

As to Korg's popularity? I myself believe that the understanding
that professionals want flexible sound to tailor to tracking or giging
mixed with other instruments. Something that "great sounds in the
store" may not provide.

My understanding and experience is that Korg synthesis is simply
better and their samples are better. . . because many things that are
done in subtractive synthesis (and layering, multi-sampling and
velocity switching) require better quality samples or the
programming applied reduces the sound quality.

Korg seems to have always understood that all necessary elements
of sound production are equally important, BEFORE EFFECTS
ARE ADDED (and not on the samples, ugh!!).

So. . . better over-all and for the past 13 (?) years ALL based on
OASYS research (Trinity/Triton included).

I believe that the M3 is a quality "up-staging" of the Triton Studio
(within THAT market "range"$),
but not a "cut down" (or "baby") OASYS.

Yes, the OASYS sounds and "works" better (much) and is perhaps
(to me/us) a better buy than the M3, at least for our needs/weirdness
Wink.

After two (2) visits to evaluate the M3 as a "portable" sort-of-
OASYS, my partner and I are relieved that the M3 was not
available 2 years before the OASYS or we would be seriously
upset($$$) had we jumped to buy it for the Karma2 upgrade (we
had/kept our Karma WS but traded the Triton Studio61.)

We have decided to get a Radias rack instead.

We might even get another OASYS (an 88 this time, for "home")
instead.

I guess our "trying" the M3 (seriously) was what you might be
looking for here, though, unfortunately, we did not experience them
side-by-side. We believe we could hear enough difference,
combined with the other items mentioned, to justify posting this.

Hope this helps Wink

Sincerely,

Pilgrim John and Leah (the 88-key fan).
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: M3 Vs. Oasys Reply with quote

Pilgrim wrote:

unfortunately, we did not experience them

Eh?
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
John Hendry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilgrim John and Leah,

thanks for the review. I was wondering about that. I always wonder when people cannot hear "much" difference from the Oasys to the Triton or other brands. To my ears the Oasys sounds twice as good as anything out there. I also wonder when I more often than not see the Triton run in mono live. I am going to look at the M3 but after reading your post can tell I'll probably still wait to get an Oasys as soon as the next generation comes out. I have the original Oasys PCI card and have told myself I have to use it before moving on. For now I am making myself happy with mixing two M1s and a WS A/D mod together. For some reason I am over my Triton after hearing the Oasys. I find there is a warmth missing from the Triton that the WS A/D and O1w and even the M1 have that the Oasys brings back even better. I have a Roland JD800 that has a bug and needs to get fixed. That was Rolands best board IMO with a JD 990 connected so connected to my other Korg stuff I don't deserve more. As many have said it's not the machine, it's the player. So better to work on me than settle for less. If the Oasys had a better sequencer that did not make me "think" and lose a new flow of thought I'd jump on it now and sell the rest to make life simple. I would like to see a sequencer that would record every thing I do and just play it back with pushing one button. Accidents will happen and sometimes they sound good, but are hard to repeat.

Again, thanks. John^^
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: M3 Vs. Oasys Reply with quote

Trinity2112 wrote:
Pilgrim wrote:

unfortunately, we did not experience them

Eh?

OASYS Jealousy, I presume. . .

Very Happy Very Happy
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: M3 Vs. Oasys Reply with quote

Pilgrim wrote:
OASYS Jealousy, I presume. . .

Care to elaborate?
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: