Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

!!! Urgent MIDI help needed!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strider93

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mm I have a bunch of .sysex files downloaded from the web - I don't quite remember where I got them since it was a few years ago but a guy I know gave me the links and he was using the sounds so I guess they should be working Rolling Eyes and I also have the .sysex file from JayB's site
"You do have write protect turned off, right?" - erm, where from? xD Sorry I'm such a noob but it's my first time getting around with the midi interface and it feels kinda complicated for a guitarist ):
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download the X5D manual from the Korg UK support website.

See page 52.

Hit the [Global] button to go into Global Mode.

Hit the Page+ key until you see 03A PROTECT on the LCD for Page Protect. Hit the Down button until it displays OFF, then hit the right arrow to go to OK? and press the Up/Yes button to confirm.

Hit the Page+ key until you see 03B on the LCD for Combi Protect (COMBINATION). Hit the Down button until it displays OFF, then hit the right arrow to go to OK? and press the Up/Yes button to confirm.

See page 156.

If you want to just load the original presets, then do the following:

Hit the [Global] button to go into Global Mode.

Hit the Page+ key until you see 05A PRESET DATA on the LCD. Hit the Up/Yes button on ALL, then hit the right arrow to go to OK? and press the Up/Yes button to confirm.

If you want to load a sysex file containing custom programs/combis other than the Presets, then you should be able to send MIDI sysex now that the memory protects have been turned off. See page 156 under "Loading DATA with MIDI Data Dump", which explains the process above.

I don't own an X5D, so I'm just going based on the manual and my experience with other Korg synths.
strider93

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, if you were talking about the settings of the keyboard itself - then yes, I had those set correctly right from the beginning. I'll try sending a .sysex file again, let's see what happens tho I'm almost sure it'll give me the same error any other ideas why this might be happening? Rolling Eyes

EDIT:: after approximately 4 hours the same problem occurred - same codes, same "broken" programmes on the X5D Sad
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to send a sysex file to the keyboard to restore the presets. The keyboard has a permanent copy of the presets in ROM. The procedure I described above will restore the presets and make them active. Did you download the manual and read the pages I referenced? I realize that guitars don't have manuals of much use, but keyboards do, so it saves a lot of time to use the manual as a starting point for any problems that occur.
strider93

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that I don't want to restore the presets - I want to put a .sysex file because I need some of the sounds from it for my upcoming concert. I read everything from the manual and yet, even with the correct settings on the keyboard, I fail to send any .sysex files to it due to the above mentioned errors Sad
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the memory protects have been turned off, then there's only a few other possibilities why it isn't working:

The MIDI sysex filter has been enabled. You disable that in the global settings or put it into the 04A Midi Data Dump mode.

The sysex file doesn't work.

The sysex file isn't being sent properly. This can be confirmed by watching the return codes for errors. If there are no errors being sent back, then the X5D is receiving the sysex fine - but the sysex isn't doing what you think it should. Provide a link to the sysex file you're using so that we can take a look at it.
strider93

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, so it might be from the keyboard settings after all?
my current settings are as following:
02A - MIDI GLOBAL: ch=1 noteR= all
02B - local: ON
02C - ext out: MIDI
02D - midi filer: prg-ena aft-ena
02E - midi filter: ctrl-ena ex-ena
03 A&B protect off
03C page memory: on
04A midi dump: prog --> midi

are these correct? because from the things I read I thought that these were the needed settings Think
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the global settings are OK.

The manual also says:

"When the screen 4A is selected, MIDI Dump data can be sent and received even when the MIDI System Exclusive filter on 2E MIDI Filter is set to DIS."

I think this means that if you hit the [Global] button and page to the 4E page, then the X5D will be set to receive MIDI sysex data. So go to that page and try resending the sysex data. You can tell MIDI-OX to log the sysex commands that you send and the responses to a file. Do that and then post the results somewhere for us to download it. The way you start logging in MIDI-OX is to choose the Log... item from the File menu. Choose a filename to a folder that's writable (Program Files is restricted in recent versions of Windows), then choose Overwrite Log, Enable Logging, Display Dialog Warnings, and Log Format=Normal--Just like Monitor. Then send the sysex file. Then turn off logging after it's done to close and write the log file.
strider93

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clear this up - how long should I wait for the keyboard to stop processing the files?! Because I've waited for 12 hours or so and the same message was still appearing on the screen ("processing...") Sad Thus I've always had to restart the keyboard at some point since it seems WAY too long for a 35KB file to be written.....
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should only take a second or two at the most for the keyboard to process any specific sysex command. The sysex contains a series of commands, so the total time depends on the number of commands, but once the commands stop being displayed on the keyboard, then you don't have to wait more than a few seconds to see the result. You can know that the keyboard has finished processing any command because it always should send a response code to every message indicating success or failure of that command. If all the responses show success, then the sysex file was successful. But the results may not be what you expect unless you know what the sysex file is really doing. The sysex file might be wrong. I can't help unless you make the log as I described and post it somewhere for download. That could easily explain what's going wrong.
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should try connecting your interface to the MIDI IN and THRU terminals. This creates a loopback, and hence you can send a short file and observe the results in the monitoring screen. It should be the exact same what has been sent.

I had problems not completely unlike with a crappy MIDI interface that had an intermittent MIDI OUT lead. Maybe the interface does not send accurately everything that the program 'thinks' has been sent. You can check that with a loopback test - unfortunately I don't recall such an explicit test in MIDI-OX so the best I can recommend is to send a short file and check results in the monitor window, which should be the exact copy of the data sent.
strider93

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@synthjoe - thanks for the advice, I tried doing that twice but both times my laptop froze and I had to restart it but I'm starting to suspect that the MIDI interface I'm using is crappy Confused
@ xmlguy - here you go, I sent JayB's sounds to my keyboard via Midi ox and stopped the programme after approximately 90 minutes (which should be enough I suppose) - and that's the text file with the log::
http://www.mediafire.com/?b6p6iiyxq78xlf9
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is your USB-midi interface. The keyboard is reporting a data format error, but it look like MIDI-OX is sending the proper format with that sysex file. I believe data is getting cutoff in between your computer and the keyboard.
strider93

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see, thought so too. Guess I'll just have to deal with the preset programmes for tomorrow's concert and eventually buy a new interface. By the way, do you guys know any good and reliable USB-midi interfaces? .__. Preferably from online shops which offer international shipping...
Thanks a lot for the help anyways! You guys rock! Cheers! Cool
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend using a USB Audio I/O box that has midi as part of the features, such as the Maudio Fast Track Pro. It's more expensive, but it's a good value. You'll need something like it to record the keyboard, vocals, and other instruments using DAW software.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: