Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sequencer might be good for demo's... but thats about it.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Wink

I actually find the Oasys sequencer less integrated in some ways than using an external sequencer.

For example you can't use the Oasys sequencer/RPPR to trigger Karma and when you record "automation" you get anonymous sysex messages which you can't identify or edit. I find with Logic that I am more able to take advantage and control over the Oasys that I could on the unit itself.

I appreciate there other aspects to the integration ...

It's very convenient to do all your work right on the hardware and you can do a lot with the sequencer, it just needs a little "detail work" done on it to cover some of the details such as automation editing and arranging.

Daz.
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sasori wrote:

I heard that one of the project managers for Ensoniq moved to Korg. Perhaps he should have some input on this subject.

I don't know about project manager, but Sound Programmer Scott Frankfurt moved from Ensoniq to Korg...

you guys really have lots of experiance in sequencers, after I moved from Roland VA76 to Korg Triton Studio, the sequencer is heaven,(i imagine, from your posts, how great Ensoniq is!!), also Triton's (and i think OASYS' also) lacks Expression sliders(which is a nightmare if you wanna change over volume of a few tracks..), and some editing features(like: can't select from bar 4 beat 3.25 to bar 6 beat 4) or quickly raise velocity of some notes by some number, not just set them to certain velocity...

but after all I see many people using Korg (trinity, triton)as a sequncer, and sound modules(Roland XV-3080..) as a sound sourse, and they make really good stuff...(some of them previous ensoniq users, and maybe some of them still have an ensoniq)
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vadim wrote:
also Triton's (and i think OASYS' also) lacks Expression sliders(which is a nightmare if you wanna change over volume of a few tracks..)

Sorry, if I'm misunderstanding, but unlike the Tritons, volume changes are a snap on the OASYS. Fading in and out groups of sounds is easy. Mixer pan pots, volume sliders and many program edits are all recordable into the sequencer, in real time. This is the part that I really like about the OASYS sequencer - which is all those hardware interface buttons, sliders and knobs - in their many modes (KARMA, HDR-Seq. Mixers, Tone Adjust and External) - allow for some serious hands on modifying, when recording.

If you are talking about modifying filter/volume, via velocity edits, I totally agree. That needs to be added in along with editable Gate functions. (Of course, you can realtime modify EGs, but that's not quite the same.)
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I´ve have seen the Fantom´s X sequencer and I was impresed as well, as I´ve mentioned before in other topics.

Those piano roll editors and its graphical representation of the notes, etc, blew me away and showed me all we really wanted in a synth sequencer.
It all was there, even an anchor to follow the playback of the song in real time, the posibility to actually move the sequences in the screen in one touch, a graphical representation of the wavefiles or audio tracks, which are fully editable in a graphical environmet as well, the 490 PPq resolution, acces to program full edit from its sequencer, etc, I mean, everything.
And hey: Its far from be perfect, of course, but its quite complete, has in a way or another all the features your could ask for, and its quite handy.

And the Fantom X is not a new instrument at this point, it has few years in the market, much older than Oasys, and not as advanced as the O claims to be, as some of you have fairly stated. Wink

See, I think its quite sure that in next OS´ we will see the PPq of the O seq increased to 480 as is in the M3, as well as the inclusion of the missed Cue List fuction, and maybe the Sound Font support, but other than that, ....we must be realistic and dont expect much more than these updates as far as the Sequencer goes. And all that if we are lucky, in the next OS update.

But ...Gosh...the Oasys does not even have the "Edit wave" function to edit wave files directly form the HD, and this is a feature that the Tritons had, and its again present in the M3 Disk Menu!!!
Why let this out of the Oasys?

Ok, no new features, all right...but ...why wipe away the ones that were already there? (I.E. Cue List function, Edit wave feature, 44,1 Khz wave rate support in the HD, etc)???
And if you choose, for any odd reason I cant imagene, to let them away in the Oasys, why some of them are there again in the M3?
I dont see the logic behind this, really.

Regards, and sorry for this long speech.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
We just need to get Korg to get in action with the Sequencer Mode and Editing Programs without going to Program Mode to modify Programs and being able to do that without affecting the original.

Indeed.

IMHO it would seem that there are some decision makers at Korg, whose priorities and focus are really quite differently aligned to some of the users.

Daz.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
Sina172 wrote:
We just need to get Korg to get in action with the Sequencer Mode and Editing Programs without going to Program Mode to modify Programs and being able to do that without affecting the original.

Indeed.

IMHO it would seem that there are some decision makers at Korg, whose priorities and focus are really quite differently aligned to some of the users.

Daz.

"some" is the key word here.

I know how much you want that particular feature, but that blanket statement is a bit unfair, given that there's a large section of users that don't give diddly-squat about the internal sequencer, and would be much happier with another EXi than an update to something they don't use. But those guys are not hanging out here posting about how bad the internal seq is, they're happily using their seq of choice and not saying anything about it. It would be interesting to get a true representation of the percentage who use the internal sequencer vs. the percentage who don't. However, I don't think you can get an accurate representation from a forum poll. It would be cool if you could ask everyone that owned an OASYS to send in a questionaire. Smile

Anyway, I think some of that stuff is in the works, but I cannot really say what in any detail.

vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
[
I know how much you want that particular feature, but that blanket statement is a bit unfair, given that there's a large section of users that don't give diddly-squat about the internal sequencer, and would be much happier with another EXi than an update to something they don't use. But those guys are not hanging out here posting about how bad the internal seq is, they're happily using their seq of choice and not saying anything about it. It would be interesting to get a true representation of the percentage who use the internal sequencer vs. the percentage who don't. However, I don't think you can get an accurate representation from a forum poll. It would be cool if you could ask everyone that owned an OASYS to send in a questionaire. Smile
Anyway, I think some of that stuff is in the works, but I cannot really say what in any detail.

Imagine if only this was in fact Internet age, and imagine if people were politely requested to register their OASYS with their e-mail address as a part of ongoing development of the OASYS Smile Or something... Then, it would be a super-easy thing to get a hold of all of those happy OASYS-owning people and get any percentage you want. And it would look absolutely awesome PR/marketing-wise. Just imagine - "KORG OASYS - the first keyboard that's being developped for its users". Gives me goosebumps.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Daz wrote:
Sina172 wrote:

Indeed.

Daz.

I chose the word "some" carefully rather than "many" ...

StephenKay wrote:
I know how much you want that particular feature, but that blanket statement is a bit unfair...

... so that it wouldn't be a blanket statement.

I think the number of people who have expressed concerns about the sequencer and other issues here would certainly amount to "some" though.

StephenKay wrote:
... given that there's a large section of users that don't give diddly-squat about the internal sequencer

I feel that there are more internal sequencer people than that one might have expected. I have been really surprised to see so much "feedback" on this topic.

Daz.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
I know how much you want that particular feature.

I wasn't talking purely about "that particular feature", if you think I was only referring to Program editing in multi-mode. I was talking about the sequencer and other issues too.

*IMO* part of the reason that not many people ask for 'that particular feature' is that customers who do require it will have gone elsewhere, knowing full well that Korg haven't ever provided this capability (excepting of course the ever improving Tone Adjust). As I have said, Yamaha have continued to improve this function in their products and I am sure they wouldn't bother if no one was interested.

Daz.
Synergy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks as though some decision makers at Roland made an excellent choice to implement the famed sequencer functions in their products for some to rave about. Given the Open Architecture marketing hype, I, as some of us, fell into false expectations to buy the Top of the line Oasys hoping that it would beat my expectation. Like some of us, I am eyeing on some of the synths out in the market to trade mine for an instrument that has either beefed up sequencer or MLAN to utilize fluid interaction between an external sequencer. It's unfortunate that some unwise decisions made this otherwise a perfect instrument a half empty and fueling depreciation. By the way, it looks as if though a well known Korg follower is wagging a tail between his legs.

Last edited by Synergy on Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Daz wrote:
Sina172 wrote:

Indeed.

Daz.

What would be more interesting is How many more Users "Would" use the internal seqeuncer if it was massively overhauled,yes many users just get on with the Oasys and an external software platform of choice,but thats simply becasue they have to or prefer that way of working,if they had more of an option,I'm sure they would turn to the Oasys,if the Oasys gave me the flexibility of software I most certainly would,it falls such a long way short of being the ideal programming sequence solution that many users just perserve with software

I wonder how many potential buyers have been put off by the "No more adavanced than Triton" badge or image it holds,Sure the Oasys is about sound Quality and the majority of its features are great(I didn't buy it on the sole premise of its sequencer for sure,I knew its limitations),the interface is great its just the reputation is let down by the sequencer,and after purchasing a Roland MV8800 I know see how much of a let down it is

there is so much more than just a couple of useful Piano or Drum edit editor pages that is needed,its the whole procedure of workflow,I can probably complete many of the tasks in the Oasys as I could on any other sequencer,and the Touchscreen makes things more pleasant,but it takes so long and round the houses,that by the time I've done it I have lost all enthusiam,
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:

Touchscreen makes things more pleasant,but it takes so long and round the houses,that by the time I've done it I have lost all enthusiam,

Funny thing Kontrol49, but thats how Some people (including OASYS owners) describe Cubase/softsynths etc etc Confused

The OASYS was meant to make these things simple, and keep the workflow in "one domain" these Roland MV sequencers ain't cheap, that's for sure (£1,300 ?), but if its needed and it's the only option, then so be it - i guess
Crying or Very sad

***SHOULD*** it have had to come to this (in your example - at least)?
- not sure it should have TBH Arrow

AnthonyB

JOHN 3:16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: