Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sequencer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommy1340millar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: sequencer Reply with quote

Full-featured, 16-track Sequencer
Can anyone show me where to find this please?
Shocked Shocked Shocked
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is interesting - nothing in the manuals and neither in the specs in the manual.

Must be in the "tech/Reference" manual we don't have yet??????

Not even on their website except for this very vague comment:-
"You can record a MIDI Song using a full-featured Sequencer. Even easier, just record what you sing and play (including MP3 Songs) as an MP3 file, and listen to it anywhere you like."

So, do they mean "on-board sequencer" because I can't find it in the manuals....???

In the specs on the website it vaguely implies you can edit a 16-track MIDI song but I see no reference to and track editing/recording - just FX etc...

Puzzling...

EDIT:- Hit the REC/EDIT - sequencer is there..... - P 39 in Perf manual
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
davekalbach

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: sequencer Reply with quote

tommy1340millar wrote:
Full-featured, 16-track Sequencer
Can anyone show me where to find this please?
Shocked Shocked Shocked

I believe its all handled through the Mixer (Tracks 1-8, then 9-16)

Not a traditional Sequencer Display like the Kronos

Demo from the Video Manual here: https://youtu.be/StLmcgfWygU?t=159

Kronos 2, Pa5X, Drumlogue, Stageman 80, Korg D32XD Recorder
Many Guitars, Roland TD-6 V-Drums, a Trumpet (HELP)
And a Kimball Baby Grand Piano
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure this is not the "Chord Sequencer" ?
tommy1340millar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Now that is interesting - nothing in the manuals and neither in the specs in the manual.

Must be in the "tech/Reference" manual we don't have yet??????

Not even on their website except for this very vague comment:-
"You can record a MIDI Song using a full-featured Sequencer. Even easier, just record what you sing and play (including MP3 Songs) as an MP3 file, and listen to it anywhere you like."

So, do they mean "on-board sequencer" because I can't find it in the manuals....???

In the specs on the website it vaguely implies you can edit a 16-track MIDI song but I see no reference to and track editing/recording - just FX etc...

Puzzling...

EDIT:- Hit the REC/EDIT - sequencer is there..... - P 39 in Perf manual

MANY THANKS!!
tommy1340millar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbrkr wrote:
Are you sure this is not the "Chord Sequencer" ?

No, I tried that first! That's more like the old 'quick record' function.

I tried to put a screenshot from Korg website, but I'm not smart enough Sad
It definitely says
"Full-featured, 16-track Sequencer"
I'm suspecting it has been reduced in priority due to Korg's monitoring of keyboard trends.
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone that actually has access to the pa5x confirm whether or not it actual does have a fully featured 16 track sequencer or is it similar to the Yamaha genos ?
tommy1340millar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worth wrote:
Can anyone that actually has access to the pa5x confirm whether or not it actual does have a fully featured 16 track sequencer or is it similar to the Yamaha genos ?

Hey Worth! long time no speak!

I'll tell you one thing - there's NO facility to import a sequence from my Pa4x midi files on a stick. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tommy . Great to hear from you . I am bouncing around in a taxi with my wife on a surprise trip she arranged for me as I text 🤣🤣. Long story 😂.

Anyway I am quite shocked that something as simple as an explanation about the existence of a fully featured sequencer has become so confused and elusive in terms of a clear unequivocal answer.

Korg had 7 years to develop test and adequately document via a detailed manual the features and functions of this long awaited keyboard .

They had sufficient time to market and release a virtually bug free product ready and fit for purpose from the get go .

It’s almost like they are intentionally sabotaging their own business and alienating their client base .

Not a great launch for this product at all .

I looking at another route to enhance my existing fantastic pa4x
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: p5 Reply with quote

Worth

you said it right.

intentionally sabotaging their own business , the new owner business ideas ( #%!*&^%#& ) or did they just get together, and put the pa5x together in January 2022..

Shocked
tommy1340millar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping it comes in as an update to the o.s.
davekalbach

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worth wrote:

I don't want to steer anyone the wrong way with bad information, but I did test this today.

Yes it has a 16 Track Sequencer. However I'd call it much more of a 16 Track Recorder. You can recored (overwrite or overdub) any single track. So far, I've not been able to arm multiple tracks which I think should be available.

I was unable to record any of the Style Functions as well. Everything I recorded, I had to play. So it's back to the Recored Track 1, Record Track 2, etc...

I then thought maybe I could at least record a Style Session to an MP3, and then load the MP3 into one of the tracks, but this functionality does not seem to exist.

As most everyone knows there is no Quantize Function as of yet, however you can record in with varied resolutions from 1/8 to 1/32, and then HIGH (assumed 1/64th) which should act as a live Quantizer, but nothing after the fact.

I don't see any track edit functions - I had dead space during the first measure while I tried to think of something to play, and couldn't delete it. SO I started every other track a measure late just to complete the recording.

I also had to make sure I selected a muted track to listen to what I had played thus far. The recorder automatically arms the selected track, so if you had just recorded track 10, and wanted to play it back, you would be overdubbing or overwriting track 10 when you played it. To get around this, I selected a muted part which effectively turned off the armed track. Doing this however leaves you limited to 15 tracks - until you overdub your last track and save (16 tracks)

I'm no musician like most of you, I just enjoy learning and playing. This is nothing like the Sequencer in Kronos, or my Digital Recorder - but the Sequencer (Lets call it a Recorder for now) is there.

On a positive note: The right side of the display has only a Single Tab (MAIN) - this leads me to believe they have some ideas and quite a bit of room for development.

In short:

Could not Record / Arm multiple tracks at once
Could not Disarm a track to hear playback
Could not Record Styles to build from (A MUST HAVE Feature IMHO)
No Quantization after Recording a Track
Instruments could be changed after they were recorded (MIDI Recording)
Interface was much simpler than the Kronos - yet very limited in capabilities
I didn't pefer the Veritcal Tracks (likely just used to seeing horizontal scrolling)

Sound quality is great however - I think a big improvement over the 4x with sounds, and styles (All preloaded with Chord Sequences)

Hope this helps those of you who have been asking. I'll keep working on it and see if I can find some solutions.

Kronos 2, Pa5X, Drumlogue, Stageman 80, Korg D32XD Recorder
Many Guitars, Roland TD-6 V-Drums, a Trumpet (HELP)
And a Kimball Baby Grand Piano
tommy1340millar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS DAVE!!
nonchai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigh.. was really hoping for a bit more - namely a piano roll editor

surely in these days of touchscreens l LINUX OS its not too much to ask?

After all - KORG already have a touch screen sequencer type of product in their iOS/iPADOS Gadget line of Apple OS apps.

That product - obviously a kind of Ableton-lite ( micro-lite tbh ) rather than a linear sequencer - was written in a cross platform C++ library used by a huge number of developers in the pro audio/music app world - namely JUCE

and JUCE supports in a limited fashion porting to firmware and ARM. Not trivial but do-abled.

So KORG - why not port all the piano roll from there to the PA5 ? or failing that - borrow the code from the KRONOS ?

I think its also a missed opportunity not to use the need to redesign the PA OS - to not properly support - vis hardware and software internally - full connectivity to a DAW.

It seems to me a false logic to expect composer type dudes to buy BOTH a workstation like a KRONOS or MONTAGE - AND an arranger board - when really - for extra dollars - one could have all in one.

After all - when one looks at 88 key workstations from KORG and YAMAHA ( not so much ROLAND really ) theres tons of empty real-estate on the panels to the left and right - that could be populated with buttons - for arranging

Arranger boards - particularly ones with built in speakers - make use of the available panel-real-estate to the fullest.

MONTAGE and KRONOS have way too much empty-potential button/knob/fader - space on the board.
korgpask

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, KORG Pa5X only has 1 MIDI recording mode.
Multitrack! (only 1 track separate record)
QUICK record (style+PAD+upper1,2,3+Left) NO!
SETP by STEP .... NO!

Korg Pa4X: 3 mode MIDI record
Multitrack (only 1 track separate record) YES
QUICK record (style+PAD+upper1,2,3+Left) YES!
SETP by STEP .... YES!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: