Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PIANO sounds hissing noise..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:50 am    Post subject: PIANO sounds hissing noise.. Reply with quote

Is it me or all the factory piano sounds (samples) have hissing noise in them?
I tried to play solo piano today with good earphones and the sound was too noisy and the noise continued to add up with each note i kept with the damper pedal so it isn't just background noise...

Can any more users check it and report here?

Maybe more sounds are like that but for now pianos seem way too noisy compared to the same pianos from kronos and SV2...

If that is true, it is completely unacceptable for such a high priced keyboard that was supposed to have the same pianos from SV2 to be like that..
Hope it is just my ears as if not, it ll be a completely sad situation and korg will have to remake the factory library and leave it uncompressed (most of the times compression is the one to blame for the background hissing)..

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: PIANO sounds hissing noise.. Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:
I tried to play solo piano today with good earphones and the sound was too noisy and the noise continued to add up with each note i kept with the damper pedal so it isn't just background noise...

Maybe more sounds are like that but for now pianos seem way too noisy compared to the same pianos from kronos and SV2...

If that is true, it is completely unacceptable for such a high priced keyboard that was supposed to have the same pianos from SV2 to be like that..
Hope it is just my ears as if not, it ll be a completely sad situation and korg will have to remake the factory library and leave it uncompressed (most of the times compression is the one to blame for the background hissing)..

Oh no! I can assure you that wasn't the case with the Pa4x. I've played a lot of solo pianos and EPs. Nothing like what you're reporting!

musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this wasn't the case for 4x!!
It is now though i think!
The old generic pianos are still way cleaner but the new ones (austrian , german , italian, japanese) are full with noise as far as i can listen here..
(except if my ears are broken which i doubt as the old ones are clean)...

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
Narioso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure speculation on my part but here is a story about sampling piano.

There was this library, name I don't remember, that had demos made of a grand piano. Sounded lovely as tone goes.
- they also bragged about it being recording onto tape

But as you listened to demos, where notes klinged off - you suddenly hear a hiss noise rising.
- so tape noise started to appear

Talking to manufacturer, yes, they knew about it and was to redo it.

Recorded on tape in a context can sound lovely and all, many famous mixers do that - first digitally they over to tape and back. But for full mixes mostly, but even a guy being awarded for making lovely vocal mixes did this as part of his strategy.
- tape does bring quite a bit of second, and further even harmonics to content
- even harmonics being octaves make it easy to understand
- it does bring some loveliness to it all

Some plugins you use that emulate hardware also have these buttons to add analog 50/60 Hz and some noise too.

Once in a mix, I suddenly was aware of
- what is that noise

One plugin way into a track folder had this Analog button active bringing this noise.

If OP's remark is true, it could be a thing like that - using a tape plugin on it or similar.

Just a story I think was relevant in this context. Smile
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:
Pure speculation on my part but here is a story about sampling piano...

No way! That would be a feature with a parameter to control or even apply the effect and not something that's recorded in the sample.

Yes, I understand with piano sample libraries, there are specialized products that are recorded for a very particular purpose. These pianos are not. They're general purpose piano sounds. Normally, a sound with a tape hiss or whatever element, if would be named as such. It would be a very descriptive name/category with that kind of quality.

If samples are just noisy in general? That'll be a shame.

Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:
I know that this wasn't the case for 4x!!
It is now though i think!
The old generic pianos are still way cleaner but the new ones (austrian , german , italian, japanese) are full with noise as far as i can listen here..
(except if my ears are broken which i doubt as the old ones are clean)...

That's odd! Are you hearing that noise with other new sounds as well? Are you using a particular master FX, or anything of that nature?

davekalbach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: PIANO sounds hissing noise.. Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:

I just checked this to verify. I believe I hear the noise you are hearing, however it isn't that noticeable to me (Beyerdynamics 250 Ohm)

Try this experiment - Austrian Grand and turn OFF Upper 1 and Upper 2 (Upper 2 is the RX). Don't play any keys, but hold down DAMPER.

Select Upper 1 - I hear a background noise (sounds like Space in the movies) which fades away in about 4-5 seconds

Select Upper 2 - I hear a simulated Damper action (RX) which also fades in about 4-5 seconds.

I believe both of these by design were added to emulate the sound of String Resonance (hope my terminology is correct) of a Grand Piano. The Damper sound is the action of the Damper being lifted from the strings, which does have a notable sound, although maybe not as exaggerated as this. It can be tuned / turned down via the Mixer or even Muted by turning off Upper 2 (RX)

Kindly report back if this is the noise you are hearing or if there is anything else I can check on mine.

Kronos 2, Pa5X, Drumlogue, Stageman 80, Korg D32XD Recorder
Many Guitars, Roland TD-6 V-Drums, a Trumpet (HELP)
And a Kimball Baby Grand Piano
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, are the audio input level controls set to high sensitivity? Noise from this source shouldn't increase with number of notes played, but there could be some sort of modulation source affecting an audio effect.
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make the same test i done to verify the noise do the following!
1)Initialize sound
2)Change only the oscillator to FTY 1317 which is the AT G.Piano Main2
3)play some notes and keep the pedal down so they ll continue sounding
4)when the sample reaches to the point of loop listen to the noise
5)add more notes and check the result...

AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the same with over 80 velocity value notes and this will be dramatically decreased.
In very low velocity piano notes (Pa5X has lower velocity layers with natural duration compared to Pa4X) , sampling microphones have
over 20db increased gain and hiss is justified especially if many notes are hold active where this hiss is multiplied with number of notes.

Skilled sound developers have their methods to decrease this hiss while sampling , even with OSC filters , but that's why third party
sound developers like WavesArt are in business !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
Try the same with over 80 velocity value notes and this will be dramatically decreased.
In very low velocity piano notes (Pa5X has lower velocity layers with natural duration compared to Pa4X) , sampling microphones have
over 20db increased gain and hiss is justified especially if many notes are hold active where this hiss is multiplied with number of notes.

Skilled sound developers have their methods to decrease this hiss while sampling , even with OSC filters , but that's why third party
sound developers like WavesArt are in business !

Thing is that i noticed it in the original sound before I gone to do more tests to see if it was the layers or some kind of effects!
Unfortunately the noise is there and loud enough to distract to all except the last layer which still has it but to logical levels as it is a microphone recording (a layer that one will never use anyway for most songs played!)

I agree on the 3rd party sound developers but come on korg, it is a 4.400 euros keyboard and the same pianos are not like that on your kronos workstation (or they are better designed there which is still a possibility)...

AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:

I agree on the 3rd party sound developers but come on korg ...

I made this 3rd party hint on purpose for KorgPa sound developers , you're definitely right , they just took generic samples of initial
samples recording of G.Piano of Kronos/CV and they just placed them on Pa5X as they are without any essential processing !

Original sampling material must be adapted & processed for every keyboard according to sampler engine and OSC & filter parameters !
Just EQ & OSC filtering can't heal this case ... Low velocity samples must be processed from scratch !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 2 years of Covid time people was home, including sound creators from Korg, or did I missed something?
This is strange, they charge you for 5K and lots of sounds are noisy!
I have listened now in 30 min, and I wonder how the great people that had this Keyboard in their hands for beta test and uploaded f***ed up videos and photos missed it😆
You n the end they are the pros, I think since Korg decided to have them in their arsenal🫡

For every day I wonder , are all this issues gonna be fixed or do we have to live with this?
It must be a hard work for Korg to make all this fixed.

When other brands try to build newest products, some are still on 2010.

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
dimitris
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: PIANO sounds hissing noise.. Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:

Musiccankill,

You are absolutely right! I have noticed that since day 1! To much noise in all these great piano sounds!

Regards,
Dimitris
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's definitely a concern. Can you guys post a demo? a bare piano recording with nothing else?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: