Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two style Engines: Any Good?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
prby78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:37 pm    Post subject: Two style Engines: Any Good? Reply with quote

The PA5X reportedly has two style engines to allow the user to mix two styles simultaneously. I saw a youtube demonstration of this feature, and the poster seemed to like it in the video, but a few months later in comments called it "utterly useless" and "a silly design with no musical purpose".
Has anyone used the feature and can provide their opinion of it?
pawlikp100
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This feature could be more practical and usable when we could have saved lets say two styles into Songbook entry.
Personally I don't use it at all.
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s just a gimmick. If you are a DJ you might use it but as a musician , I cannot see a practical use of it .
Xx_Joey_xX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no use for it.

Maybe if you're a DJ

They need to focus on what makes a good arranger.
so far the pa5x has been a disappointment, maybe they can update the OS and make it relevant
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is good and can be the source for some creative work, but like all things will require some time and effort to produce good results, including unusual matches that work...

Generally, you do not want two base lines running simultaneously when both styles are synchronised...

My personal feelings are that the dual style player system is a little underdeveloped in places, which can make things difficult in certain instances...

Initially in the beginning I also felt this was a gimmick, but, if Korg could exspand and develop the system further, including more polyphony across the hole platform, then Korg might just be onto a winner in the future...

Providing Korg still have the desire to realise this for PA5X ?...
josf.kumar@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I use the dual-style player currently like this: While playing 10 songs in a choir, I keep ready the first two styles of the first two songs of my gig in both the players. When I complete the first song, I load the third song style into player 1 and go for player 2 with the second song and so on. I felt a little convenience in this way of playing as of now.

However, I also use it like, I take a style and duplicate the same style with four other variations with different drum track recordings and then I keep those two styles into the two players. This means I have a single style with 8 variations which is very convenient for some songs that demand more than 4 variations. I use these two styles simultaneously with cross-fading.

As of now, I found these two uses of the dual-player function on Korg pa5x.

Look forward to listening to more from the 5X users.

Regards
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

josf.kumar@gmail.com wrote:
Hello,

I use the dual-style player currently like this: While playing 10 songs in a choir, I keep ready the first two styles of the first two songs of my gig in both the players. When I complete the first song, I load the third song style into player 1 and go for player 2 with the second song and so on. I felt a little convenience in this way of playing as of now.

However, I also use it like, I take a style and duplicate the same style with four other variations with different drum track recordings and then I keep those two styles into the two players. This means I have a single style with 8 variations which is very convenient for some songs that demand more than 4 variations. I use these two styles simultaneously with cross-fading.

As of now, I found these two uses of the dual-player function on Korg pa5x.

Look forward to listening to more from the 5X users.

great and interesting ideas!

I use it mainly for adding acappella vocals in sync with the style and when combining backing tracks with styles, ocassionaly I use it with an extra style for the style copy feature.
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entire point of the two style engines is to combine styles to create a NEW Hybrid style and it works fabulously! Yes, you can fade in and fade out between styles AND MP3 files, but the real power is mixing style Genres together like LATIN and ROCK or Big Band and Bachata to create some very very interesting combinations.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main concept is dual desk player , prepare next style in real time and mix or start next.
But power Style creators also have the option to create complex 16 track Styles like Symphonic or Cinematic Styles where
12 ACC tracks are required to change continuously with many instrument ensembles.

It would be incredible if in later Pa5X integration (outside Songbook) a Style can have the saving option to be paired with another
one and be loaded at both players or further feature in Style Editor to monitor the other pair due to easily create next 8 tracks.
There are many potentials if KorgPa developers decide to support it further !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Keymn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During a live performance I like to be less busy with the controls of any arranger. More focus on the audience. I have tried it and it gives interesting effects. Would be nice to have the two styles included in the songbook number. Then maybe the blend programmed to a variation?
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kbrkr"]The entire point of the two style engines is to combine styles to create a NEW Hybrid style and it works fabulously! Yes, you can fade in and fade out between styles AND MP3 files, but the real power is mixing style Genres together like LATIN and ROCK or Big Band and Bachata to create some very very interesting combinations.[/quote]

I’d love to see this demonstrated actually . I think you could come up with some interesting styles but I don’t know if they would be musical in the sense that it grooved to my ears .

As it is I tend to strip down styles as so many instruments tend to get too busy and don’t leave space for me to actually play rather than just pad chords , so combining styles to me is likely to be a nightmare from a musical sense .

I don’t wanna hear down beats on upbeats if you know what mean . 🤣

The gaps in the music are almost as important as the notes to my mind .

But seriously , I would love to hear someone using the feature show how it could work to improve what the accompaniment already does in one style 👍
DjStiky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was wondering if there was a way to change the active element of the second style which is on standby. For example, have it on VAR2 instead of VAR1 while I haven’t switched over to it yet.
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask me, It,s really great idea, BUT,,, not a 100% well planned one.
WHY= 160 Polyphony is not enough for this thing.
Play one style, start another in Player 2, Ad 4 padloops, And play complex harmonies or Notes, DROP outs are there! And it sounds bad as hell . So 256 Voice/Poly, maybe can save this situation, otherweise, it,s a great feature.

For me, I,m using another Solo sound device that can handle 256 GB of samples for live use as ready to go, so i dont care to much, but One 5X and than all this things on, NO!

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
Bescki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it, but it's not useful. You can't decide which variation to start, you can't control mixer or anything in style 2 if you don't move slider to right to lose all control on style 1.

KORG must add any option to select in which sequencer to work, edit, mix things, without moving slider.

You can change only the tempo of the style 2, nothing else.
2004 = Korg Pa1x
2000 = Roland Va-7
1998 = Roland E-86
1996 = Yamaha ?!
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asena wrote:
....For me, I,m using another Solo sound device that can handle 256 GB of samples for live use as ready to go.....

Asena, may I know what Solo sound device you're using that can handle 256 GB of samples for live performances?

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: