Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are the new KROSS owners still happy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
studio99

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: standard midi files Reply with quote

Still lovin' it but have found one thing I really dislike. It's not a Kross exclusive though as I had a Microstation that had the same problem.
This has to do with the way that Standard Midi Files are handled.
Korg's marketing material says that standard midi files are handled with ease.
Not so much, unless I'm really missing something.
I use smfs for backing tracks both for rehearsal and performance.

On the Kross ( and the Microstation) you have to load them into the sequencer from an sd card. It's a bit of a pain but OK
The problem is this:
After loading an smf, and applying the GM intitialize command, only about 50 % play properly. The rest require digging through the voice/track assignments and making changes (such as having the drum track play on a drum kit instead of GM acoustic piano etc.
Then in many cases, you have to disable program changes to keep the song from re setting every time it plays.

That ain't quick and easy in my book!

Anyway, if anyone know a shortcut or workaround, I'd be delighted to hear it.

That's my whine!

Otherwise a great instrument!

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Pat
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: standard midi files Reply with quote

studio99 wrote:
Still lovin' it but have found one thing I really dislike. It's not a Kross exclusive though as I had a Microstation that had the same problem.
This has to do with the way that Standard Midi Files are handled.
Korg's marketing material says that standard midi files are handled with ease.
Not so much, unless I'm really missing something.
I use smfs for backing tracks both for rehearsal and performance.

On the Kross ( and the Microstation) you have to load them into the sequencer from an sd card. It's a bit of a pain but OK
The problem is this:
After loading an smf, and applying the GM intitialize command, only about 50 % play properly. The rest require digging through the voice/track assignments and making changes (such as having the drum track play on a drum kit instead of GM acoustic piano etc.
Then in many cases, you have to disable program changes to keep the song from re setting every time it plays.

That ain't quick and easy in my book!

Anyway, if anyone know a shortcut or workaround, I'd be delighted to hear it.

That's my whine!

Otherwise a great instrument!

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Pat

I don't know if this will help but have you tried setting the Bank Map parameter to GM(2)? See page 307 and 158 in the Parameter Guide.
studio99

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much for the response.
Yes, I have the bank set to GM2

So my process is
1. Load the .mid file
2. do the GMInitialize command
3. Return for a moment to Global mode and then back to sequence
4. hit play

This works on about 50% of the .mid files. The others require locating the drum track (usually the offender) and re assigning the instrument voice to a drumkit from the GMacoustic piano. Occasionally it also requires disabling program changes in the track to prevent the voice being re set each time the song is started.

I wonder if this whole problem is somehow related to the "Song template" feature?
Anyway , thanks for the suggestion and I'm looking forward to any others!

Pat
david7685

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Sad Canadian KROSS news Reply with quote

Sad Canadian KROSS news today: the KROSS I have paid in full for has been delayed (back order) with the rest of the very first shipment we've been anxiously waiting to arrive.
Although we were told at first they would be in Toronto in August, 2013
today I learned the expected delivery time for Canada's first KROSS arrivals is late October.
If it wasn't for all the positive feedback on this forum I may have decided to put the money into a different keyboard.
I am going to (patiently?) wait because of the happy, satisfied reviews posted here in this thread.
Thank you.
tommymandel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for that, David. But I would wait, and get to know your other keyboards even better in the meantime. Then by late October, you'll have your choice, an even better choice: between the Kross, and whatever other surprise has been released by then. Unless you really need something like a Kross right away.
I still love mine. and incidentally, I played it via MIDI from a Yamaha CP300, and the piano is twice as awesome. The touch curve is very different, and, when played from the Yamaha, the Kross Piano sounds much like the German one on the Krome. Much smoother, no hypey bright tonal surprises, like sometimes come from the Kross 61 keyboard. And I've tried all 9 velocity curves. Somewhere between 2 and 3 (4 is the factory setting) on the Kross comes closest. I'll keep experimenting and get back with more info if I get any ideas.
david7685

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: You are extremely insightful. Reply with quote

I am very happy that you share so much valuable insight.
Your information is like a lifeline to this KROSS owner-in-waiting.
I have an 88 weighted key Yamaha at home that I could connect for the reasons you described so well.
The KROSS keyboard seems like a perfect fit for my situation.
You're right, Tommy, during this forced "cooling off" period while I must wait for the first Canadian shipment to arrive I could investigate other keyboard options.
There are many reasons why I feel the KROSS is the best match for what I need.
I hope you will post more and more of the exciting things you're discovering with your brand new KROSS.
I was very jealous reading about how you took your Kross to an outdoor gig.
I played four (4) outdoor gigs last week and another one this Saturday night.
You do a great job describing the details of the sounds coming from your Korg instrument. Your posts are super helpful.
Have a good evening, with much appreciation, David
studio99

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Someday my Kross will come... Reply with quote

Another word of encouragement.
I was told (by Korg) that the Krosses would not be in the US until sometime in September. I didn't expect mine till October and it showed up unexpectedly on Aug26!!
There may be hope.

I too was going to get something else but guess what, there wasn't anything else with workstation features, a sequencer, battery power, audio in and a small footprint available
At any price!
Hang in there
All good things are worth the wait!

Pat
totallykenny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi david, I feel bad for you , because I know how bad you want the KROSS ! I to did not think it would have came in so early to my dealer .. He has them in stock from last time I talked to him .. Hang in there buddy , it still may come in early . And yes I looked around the KROSS is just unreal for the $$$ .. In sounds , and all that is packed into it !!! You will love the KROSS !!! In all my many years with keyboards /Synths , This KROSS just inspires so very much !!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
tommymandel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am still really liking my Kross61. Recently I found some really great acoustic guitar patches, some with synth pads behind them, some with cool arpeggiator effects if you want them. A joy to play.
I'm still trying to get the best velocity curve for my technique (that's in the first Global Page.) I will put that info in a different post.
Enjoy, and Canada, I hope your time is coming soon. (Actually, since there are no recent posts on this topic, I bet your Krosses came and now you're too busy having fun to enter anything here online! (hope so anyway.) Smile
studio99

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey David
When your Kross arrives, let the forum know and we will give a group cheer!
I' still lovin mine!

Pat
byllsong

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Kross Grand Piano Reply with quote

Moved

Last edited by byllsong on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

studio99 wrote:
Thanks much for the response.
Yes, I have the bank set to GM2

So my process is
1. Load the .mid file
2. do the GMInitialize command
3. Return for a moment to Global mode and then back to sequence
4. hit play

This works on about 50% of the .mid files. The others require locating the drum track (usually the offender) and re assigning the instrument voice to a drumkit from the GMacoustic piano. Occasionally it also requires disabling program changes in the track to prevent the voice being re set each time the song is started.

I wonder if this whole problem is somehow related to the "Song template" feature?
Anyway , thanks for the suggestion and I'm looking forward to any others!

Pat
I forgot what tab it is but you need to uncheck the program change box so that the voices do not revert back to the original voices once you edit them. It works like a charm... Then save your new file with a new name perhaps just include the word edit or something after the song title or delete the original works also. All of Korgs sequencers I have used so far work the same.
adeeb23

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Bowed String Model .. COME ON .. Sad
studio99

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the Program Change tip.
I'll definitely try that!
david7685

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Thanksgiving came early so did new Kross Reply with quote

Thanksgiving just passed in Canada.
It was special for me because my new Kross arrived early just like this forum suggested might happen.
Picked it up Friday at the music store.
YES - Happy with the new instrument.
Will get it out of the house this weekend on a couple of gigs so I should have some real good feedback next week.
At first I accepted the keybed action! after all! what choice.
But now I'm used to it and quite like it. It's fine. It's certainly not bad. No bad at all.
I like the sounds too. Those "bells" are something else.
It's also much lighter weight than I imagined ... makes it so very easy to carry.
Glad I waited;
thanks to this forum for all of your encouragement while KORG kept us Canadians waiting longer for our first shipment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: