Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current Alternatives to Radias
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eowyn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Roland's System 1m? it has got similar flashy lights Wink
Mutiny in Jonestown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eowyn wrote:

Just had a look and this should interface with my MS20m and be a great addition to the synth rack...Thanks Wink
Past: Moog Taurus Bass Pedals, Yamaha CP-20, DX-100, SY22, Hammond M2, Hohner D6 Clavinet, SCI Pro-One, Crumar Trilogy, Cat Octave, Roland JX-3P, D50, D20, D70, S10, AlphaJuno1, V-Synth, JD800, JP8000, C-80 Digital Harpsichord, Ensoniq Fizmo, Nord Modular, Waldorf Q, DSI PolyEvolver, Emu Vintage Keys, Crumar Trilogy
Steinberger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that it does indeed Smile

Also, don't have any but Boomstars are very nice.
http://studioelectronics.com/media/reviews/pdf/Au14SOS-Bstars.pdf
eowyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutiny in Jonestown wrote:
eowyn wrote:

Just had a look and this should interface with my MS20m and be a great addition to the synth rack...Thanks Wink

haha, where do you get all that money for all those synths? Shocked
Mutiny in Jonestown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eowyn wrote:
eowyn wrote:

haha, where do you get all that money for all those synths? Shocked

Well, first of all I'm no spring chicken and bought my 1st kybd back in 1980 Wink Also, you'll notice that most of those synths/kybds are on my "Past" not on my "Current" list, so I've almost always financed a new purchase by selling old stuff (at a huge loss of course Crying or Very sad) If I'd have been able to hang on to all those synths I've owned I probably could have opened a kybd museum and charged admission, which I'm sure I'd use to buy more synths Laughing
Past: Moog Taurus Bass Pedals, Yamaha CP-20, DX-100, SY22, Hammond M2, Hohner D6 Clavinet, SCI Pro-One, Crumar Trilogy, Cat Octave, Roland JX-3P, D50, D20, D70, S10, AlphaJuno1, V-Synth, JD800, JP8000, C-80 Digital Harpsichord, Ensoniq Fizmo, Nord Modular, Waldorf Q, DSI PolyEvolver, Emu Vintage Keys, Crumar Trilogy
eowyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I saw your current/past list but to me I can't effort a radias, an ms20m plus a system 1m at the moment. that's why I'm asking. yeah I could buy them used - will have to check ebay more often Cool

besides a synth museum would be quite worth it Smile
Mutiny in Jonestown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eowyn wrote:
yes, I saw your current/past list but to me I can't effort a radias, an ms20m plus a system 1m at the moment. that's why I'm asking. yeah I could buy them used - will have to check ebay more often Cool

besides a synth museum would be quite worth it Smile

I hear you...over the course of my life I've gone through times when I could afford gear followed by years where I had to turn around and sell much of it off at a huge loss Wacky

I actually bought the Radias used in 2012 online from a Guitar Center in Florida for $599 which I thought was an absolute steal! When I saw one for the 1st time back around 2005 I knew I wanted one to partner with my MS2000R but there was no way I could swing it financially. Took a few more years to be able to and I was amazed I found one for such a great price so I jumped on it. As far as the System 1m...There's a big difference between saying I'd like to buy one and somehow convincing my wife that I "need" one Laughing

Regarding the "synth museum" and my past kybds, I think they would make a decent collection (though no keyboard collection is really complete without a Mellotron and a MiniMoog or at least an ARP 2600). As I mentioned, I did a lot of horse trading so I'd sell what I had to get what I wanted Smile The only things I really regret letting go were the Taurus bass pedals (which I traded straight across for the Hammond M2) and the SCI Pro One. The Cat Octave would have been very cool to keep as well, though I bought it as a project for $25 because it didn't work properly (of course I convinced myself I could fix it but I couldn't Embarassed
eowyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a big difference between saying I'd like to buy one and somehow convincing my wife that I "need" one Laughing

haha yeah that's the crux. luckily I have to take the responsibility for myself and no one else. I wanted to go the hardware route because of the tangibility: I bought myself an ESX-1, Radias, a Kaoss Pad (all used but in fine condition), also some Volcas, a Monotribe and some other toys. But now I'm not so sure. It's nice to doodle around but I can't seem to get stuff done with them. Software Vsts seem to be more hassle free, don't cost as much and sometimes can do more. only downside is the lack of haptics - will have to meditate about that. Rolling Eyes
Mutiny in Jonestown

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eowyn wrote:
There's a big difference between saying I'd like to buy one and somehow convincing my wife that I "need" one Laughing

haha yeah that's the crux. luckily I have to take the responsibility for myself and no one else. I wanted to go the hardware route because of the tangibility: I bought myself an ESX-1, Radias, a Kaoss Pad (all used but in fine condition), also some Volcas, a Monotribe and some other toys. But now I'm not so sure. It's nice to doodle around but I can't seem to get stuff done with them. Software Vsts seem to be more hassle free, don't cost as much and sometimes can do more. only downside is the lack of haptics - will have to meditate about that. Rolling Eyes

I did some stuff on the software route in the late 90's/early 00's (Nord Modular - a hybrid but all the serious fun was to be had with the software component, Gigasampler, Cubase, etc) and really missed the ability to play with knobs and sliders so I only go hardware now. I know the computer tools are much improved these days regarding things like latency, but I don't want to spend my time fixing computer configuration issues and making software packages play nice with each other...besides, I just think it's more fun to have that hardware thing going rather than interface to an image of an instrument with a clickpad/mouse/trackball/whatever Wink
eowyn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I thought so. to each their own, right? Wink
Mutiny in Jonestown

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eowyn wrote:
yes I thought so. to each their own, right? Wink

Absolutely! That must be why there are so many different tools to choose from to make music Very Happy
Mutiny in Jonestown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to post a thanks to eowyn for telling me about the System 1m...just put in my pre-order yesterday. Spent a lot of hours researching/deciding what would play better with my MS20m, a custom Eurorack modular with some sound mangling modules or the Roland System 1m...after considering price and watching some youtube vids I went with the 1m. Can't wait to plug it into my gear rack and hear what crazy stuff I can do with those patch cords Wink
eowyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're welcome! I'm considering one myself to complement my radias. the formant stuff sounds cool and its lfo can do audio rate. only thing is I'm not so sure if I need one Wink before this one I looked at the mfb dominion but that beast is uber large and I don't have much space left on my desk Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: