Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

korg m3 or oasys
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingJ wrote:
The build quality problem is not just in the M3 either. The Yamaha Motif XS6 and XS7 is not built near as solid as the ES6 and the ES7, and there are still a lot of unresolved bugs in the Motif XS's OS. The XS8 is built just as solid as the ES8, but not the XS6 and the XS7. I can tell you this because I have an XS6, and it just doesn't feel as solid as past Yamaha synths.

I have the XS7. This is my first Motif and I like it alot.

I suspect that korg and yamaha are listening to customers that say we want lighter boards. So they use different material , to make models lighter. The tradeoff is that " solid as rock " feel has gone

Could it be you can't please everyone all the time ?
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
KingJ wrote:
The build quality problem is not just in the M3 either. The Yamaha Motif XS6 and XS7 is not built near as solid as the ES6 and the ES7, and there are still a lot of unresolved bugs in the Motif XS's OS. The XS8 is built just as solid as the ES8, but not the XS6 and the XS7. I can tell you this because I have an XS6, and it just doesn't feel as solid as past Yamaha synths.

I have the XS7. This is my first Motif and I like it alot.

I suspect that korg and yamaha are listening to customers that say we want lighter boards. So they use different material , to make models lighter. The tradeoff is that " solid as rock " feel has gone

Could it be you can't please everyone all the time ?

I have played the XS in GC alot over the past few days as my wife has spent alot of time in the hobby shop for a project. I initially was testing a bunch of different synths and digital pianos. I kept finding myself drawn to the Motif XS. When I went in today I didn't have a desire to play anything else. I really got into the XS in terms of looking at the interface, the actual base sample sounds, the sequencer and arps. I was amazed at how easily I got around on it and I had the chance to play right next to the M3 on one side and the Fantom X on the other. The difference in sound quality over the Fantom X was very apparent when playing similar base sounds. The more I play and understand the XS, the more I like it and realize how much different this XS is from other Motifs. I remember when I first played the XS I thought sounds a bit like the ES with a few changes. Now I understand the XS is a real different beast with a very deceptive amount of power, playability and features under its hood.
cfurlin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: korg m3 or oasys Reply with quote

KingJ wrote:
The M3 sounds good, and it has some sounds I'd love to have, but the overall sound quality isn't as good as the Yamaha Motif ES or XS in my oppinion.

Exactly, in your opinion. I think that's what needs to be said here. Folks should decide what sounds best to them.

BTW, I traded in my Motif XS for the M3. In MY OPINION, the XS has a terrible sound. Smile
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverdragonsound wrote:

I have played the XS in GC alot over the past few days as my wife has spent alot of time in the hobby shop for a project. I initially was testing a bunch of different synths and digital pianos. I kept finding myself drawn to the Motif XS. When I went in today I didn't have a desire to play anything else. I really got into the XS in terms of looking at the interface, the actual base sample sounds, the sequencer and arps. I was amazed at how easily I got around on it and I had the chance to play right next to the M3 on one side and the Fantom X on the other. The difference in sound quality over the Fantom X was very apparent when playing similar base sounds. The more I play and understand the XS, the more I like it and realize how much different this XS is from other Motifs. I remember when I first played the XS I thought sounds a bit like the ES with a few changes. Now I understand the XS is a real different beast with a very deceptive amount of power, playability and features under its hood.

As soon as I played the XS ( I think it was May), I thought " Yamaha got it right "

I was underwhelmed by original Motif and thought the ES was nice, but not compelling enough. I like the fact that Yamaha listened to customers and that many of the suggestions are in the improved XS
Gary L

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: korg m3 or oasys Reply with quote

cfurlin wrote:
KingJ wrote:
The M3 sounds good, and it has some sounds I'd love to have, but the overall sound quality isn't as good as the Yamaha Motif ES or XS in my oppinion.

Exactly, in your opinion. I think that's what needs to be said here. Folks should decide what sounds best to them.

BTW, I traded in my Motif XS for the M3. In MY OPINION, the XS has a terrible sound. Smile

I agree that it is everyones own opinion and I think everyone here understands that and they are simply expressing their opinion. Wink

As for me, I got the M3 and it wasn't cutting the mustard so I traded it for a Motif XS and some cash to boot. The guy I traded it to sold the M3 and put in an oder for the new Kurzweil PC3X. Everyone using something different and everyone is happy. Cool
jayS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwin' my two cents in here, in case the original poster is still keeping tabs on this thread...

Disclaimer - I owned an M3 61 for about three months... I also have managed a pro audio/keys/recording department at a music store, and very familiar with Oasys (and have one with my name on it, arriving next month). I have spent hours on end learning Oasys inside and out, as well as demoing it to customers.

1. M3 and Oasys, completely different instruments, built for different markets, and different customers. Do you need/want the latest and greatest soundset/os/sequencing/sampling in a workstation keyboard, or do you want all of that with open architecture plus all of the editing options that Oasys is designed to (and does) give.

2. The build quality is definitely noticably (sp?) different, but as was said, Oasys is over twice the cost. If you want a haus, M3 may not be for you (but neither is XS of Fantom).

3. Each and every board does some things better than all the others, and some things worse. M3 has some great patches, as does XS, as does Fantom. Even with no soundset, Oasys still has open architecture, wonderful hardware specs and quality, etc.

4. The added editing options that Oasys offers may not benefit you if you do not have a grasp on the way soundwaves in general work. You'll want to know your fair share about DSP, MIDI operation, sequencing, sampling, etc. If you aren't well versed in these areas, the Oasys may not be any more beneficial than the M3. Spend a few minutes with each in the edit pages of a few patches, and see how many buttons you actually USE, or atleast KNOW HOW TO USE.

5. This may all be out of date after NAMM, but hopefully not. Just don't rush into anything, because it is alot of money (not that you don't know).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: