Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pocket groovebox
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crystalmsc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musikmachine wrote:
PSP rhythm is much more immediate, like rebirth with samples. Smile

that what really got me interested about it. people mentioning something reason about it. and without the touch screen, I really hope that the interface as immidiate as possible.
musikmachine wrote:
I'll bet the ds10 rocks with that stylus! Cool

you are right, the stylus is the key. it's very intuitive and enjoyable to work with. those buttons are also have some function, also some finger triggering, specially for the drum pads. But using stylus is what it's all about. I sense that the next Yamaha QY will use a stylus and it's going to be very exciting to me.
Korg: Wavedrum/Mini/Global, MS-20m, Volca Beats/Bass/Key, Trinity Pro, Karma + Moss Board, 01R/W, Wavestation/SR/EX, microKORG XL, Kaossilator Pro, iKaossilator, Kaoss Pad Quad, Monotribe, Monotron/duo/delay, DS-10, Korg Collection V2, Korg Gadget, microKEY25
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Crystalmsc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plosive wrote:

i wrote some more of my impressions here: http://osc1.wordpress.com/

i've been really happy to find out that most of its sequencer/pattern/etc management and playback is alot like the Electribes.

thank you for the great blog. I really enjoy the comparison between the DS and the electribes. Also the Kaossilator review and information.
plosive wrote:
http://www.plosive.net/mp3/sawfunds10.mp3
http://www.plosive.net/mp3/pkltr1.mp3

those are nice and fun sounding demos.
plosive wrote:
that's a tough call.. they both do alot that the other doesnt.

those will move nicely next to each other..with battery powered action, a decent headphone and some leisure time Wink
Korg: Wavedrum/Mini/Global, MS-20m, Volca Beats/Bass/Key, Trinity Pro, Karma + Moss Board, 01R/W, Wavestation/SR/EX, microKORG XL, Kaossilator Pro, iKaossilator, Kaoss Pad Quad, Monotribe, Monotron/duo/delay, DS-10, Korg Collection V2, Korg Gadget, microKEY25
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
11hz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plosive, nice demo song. I'm really tempted to get one... a ds10.
Music with Gameboys
ecb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musikmachine wrote:

Yeah briefly.

Check out some of the demos on their site, pretty impressive. There's a 56 page manual so i think it's fairly powerful. The thing that i haven't figured out yet is how to edit the synth so the manual is required reading. Seems to have a lot of parameters in the sub menus. PSP rhythm is much more immediate, like rebirth with samples. Smile

It's nice, at first it seems dead simple but thats the beauty of it; you haven't got loads of menus or options getting in the way. I like it. I'll bet the ds10 rocks with that stylus! Cool

hi, i'm the creator of PSPSeq. i'd say that PSPSeq is quite powerful, though at times there is a sacrifice of immediate access for all the features i added in there. if the PSP had a stylus interface that would have simplified things a bit, but honestly i couldn't have had nearly as many synthesizers running simultaneously on the DS so that's why i wrote this for the PSP. for example, you can have 16 independent 2-oscillator virtual analog synths or 15 FM synths running at the same time in PSPSeq - i'd be lucky to get 1/2 that on a DS.

along with the manual there's also a quick reference sheet with every button combo and what they do. after figuring out the basic concept of how PSPSeq works, the quick ref is just about all you need.

to access synth parameters you either navigate the menu system (START->SYNTH->EDIT SYNTH->pick the synth->pick the generator/fx/env) or press triangle+L-trigger+R-trigger to get directly to the GEN/FX/ENV menu for the current synth. as with most complex tools, when you first get started it's confusing but i think once you get used to it PSPSeq is really fast for editing synth parameters and getting your groove on. Smile

PSPRhythm does a nice job with making its parameters readily available, but because PSPSeq has a lot more parameters to modify (depending on the generator and FX, i believe you can have 50+ values modifyable at any step, plus all the other non-synth tweaking features) i had to push them behind a menu. in the end they're different beasts; rhythm is good for samples but if you want synths seq is the way to go (PSPSeq can also handle samples just fine, btw, and has some neat features for doing granular-style timestretching which i don't think rhythm can do).

lastly, if you haven't heard the PSPSeq songs at running jump records you really should.

http://runjump.iiichan.net/main/

the source files won't load into PSPSeq 3.00 but the mp3s of the songs give an idea of what you can really make with this program.

ethan
dspmusic.org/psp
11hz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecb, thanks for that post. the demos are pretty good. I'm definitely getting a psp to try this piece of software out. 50+ page manual...I love it. I don't know anything about PSPs, is there something ...version or model that I should get or just any psp is good?

"HopePt1" and "a day in the life of an android" are AMAZING!

I need a psp Now!

thanks, i was happy not wanting anything, which is a good thing when the funds are low, but now I have to get my hands on a psp.

Damn it.
Music with Gameboys

Last edited by 11hz on Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
musikmachine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecb wrote:
musikmachine wrote:

Yeah briefly.

Check out some of the demos on their site, pretty impressive. There's a 56 page manual so i think it's fairly powerful. The thing that i haven't figured out yet is how to edit the synth so the manual is required reading. Seems to have a lot of parameters in the sub menus. PSP rhythm is much more immediate, like rebirth with samples. Smile

It's nice, at first it seems dead simple but thats the beauty of it; you haven't got loads of menus or options getting in the way. I like it. I'll bet the ds10 rocks with that stylus! Cool

hi, i'm the creator of PSPSeq. i'd say that PSPSeq is quite powerful, though at times there is a sacrifice of immediate access for all the features i added in there. if the PSP had a stylus interface that would have simplified things a bit, but honestly i couldn't have had nearly as many synthesizers running simultaneously on the DS so that's why i wrote this for the PSP. for example, you can have 16 independent 2-oscillator virtual analog synths or 15 FM synths running at the same time in PSPSeq - i'd be lucky to get 1/2 that on a DS.

along with the manual there's also a quick reference sheet with every button combo and what they do. after figuring out the basic concept of how PSPSeq works, the quick ref is just about all you need.

to access synth parameters you either navigate the menu system (START->SYNTH->EDIT SYNTH->pick the synth->pick the generator/fx/env) or press triangle+L-trigger+R-trigger to get directly to the GEN/FX/ENV menu for the current synth. as with most complex tools, when you first get started it's confusing but i think once you get used to it PSPSeq is really fast for editing synth parameters and getting your groove on. Smile

PSPRhythm does a nice job with making its parameters readily available, but because PSPSeq has a lot more parameters to modify (depending on the generator and FX, i believe you can have 50+ values modifyable at any step, plus all the other non-synth tweaking features) i had to push them behind a menu. in the end they're different beasts; rhythm is good for samples but if you want synths seq is the way to go (PSPSeq can also handle samples just fine, btw, and has some neat features for doing granular-style timestretching which i don't think rhythm can do).

lastly, if you haven't heard the PSPSeq songs at running jump records you really should.

http://runjump.iiichan.net/main/

the source files won't load into PSPSeq 3.00 but the mp3s of the songs give an idea of what you can really make with this program.

ethan
dspmusic.org/psp

Hi ethan! Good to hear from the dev. Those songs were actually part of the reason i got the psp. But listening to moonglider again i've got to say, nice! Shocked

I'm going to have to dig into PSPSeq s'more later with quick reference sheet on hand.

Have you got plans for more synthy stuff for the PSP? Smile
ecb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11hz wrote:
ecb, thanks for that post. I the demos are pretty good. I'm definitely getting a psp to try this piece of software out. 50+ page manual...I love it. I don't know anything about PSPs, is there something ...version or model that I should get or just any psp is good?

thanks.

glad you like the demos. honestly i didn't even know it was possible to make music that good with my program! Smile a lot of it comes down to FM synthesis; if you're good with it you can make some pretty amazing stuff with PSPSeq.

homebrew's a bit tricky on the PSP because sony keeps trying to block people from running unsigned code so they continually update their firmware. this is how pirating works on the PSP and it's also how homebrew is run.

what i would recommend doing is getting an older PSP used (generally called "phat" or "fat", as opposed to the newer "slim") somewhere like craigslist or ebay. from there you need to either install one of the old sony firmwares (1.50 is best) or one of the new custom firmwares (generally called M33 firmware). if you install the new custom firmware you'll also need to install the "1.50 add-on" to enable full compatibility with PSPSeq. i use both of these methods and they work well. the new custom firmwares also let you play commercial games so if that's important i'd try to do that.

to make your life easier i might recommend trying to find someone who can do the firmware modification. it's certainly possible to do it yourself but it takes time to learn the details and may be easier to find a someone who will do it for a small fee or for free. i found someone who set me up for a 6-pack. it was a good deal for both of us.

good luck!

Last edited by ecb on Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
11hz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm scouring craigslist right now. So a fat one...cool. thanks.
Music with Gameboys
ecb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musikmachine wrote:
Hi ethan! Good to hear from the dev. Those songs were actually part of the reason i got the psp. But listening to moonglider again i've got to say, nice! Shocked

I'm going to have to dig into PSPSeq s'more later with quick reference sheet on hand.

Have you got plans for more synthy stuff for the PSP? Smile

for now i'm just working on PSPSeq. version 3.00 just came out and i don't think it's nearly reached its potential in terms of user base and mindshare. at some point i imagine i'll add some new features including more generators and FX but for now i'm mostly in PR/marketing/evangalist mode. Smile
Crystalmsc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank for those link of great PSP seq music, I really enjoy it.
ecb wrote:
for example, you can have 16 independent 2-oscillator virtual analog synths or 15 FM synths running at the same time in PSPSeq - i'd be lucky to get 1/2 that on a DS.

Since I love to work with stylus on the DS, seems like half of it ain't bad. specially with a better user interface using the stylus. It's still like 8 (2-osc) VA or 7 FM synths running at the same time.
ecb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crystalmsc wrote:
thank for those link of great PSP seq music, I really enjoy it.
ecb wrote:
for example, you can have 16 independent 2-oscillator virtual analog synths or 15 FM synths running at the same time in PSPSeq - i'd be lucky to get 1/2 that on a DS.

Since I love to work with stylus on the DS, seems like half of it ain't bad. specially with a better user interface using the stylus. It's still like 8 (2-osc) VA or 7 FM synths running at the same time.

i think i should have added extra emphasis around "at best". Wink i think to get that level of performance i'd have to write all the synthesis and FX stuff in assembly, which is something i'm not too excited about. the combination of lots of processing power plus floating point math on the PSP lets me write in C and get things working well enough a lot faster.

still, i do have a DS and R4DS and have some interest in making some noise on that platform so who knows what will happen in the future. i freely admit that a stylus interface would be a lot of fun to write an audio app around - and judging by the amount of audio homebrew on the DS i'm not the only one who feels that way.
11hz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm selling a gameboy color and nanoloop cart on ebay so i cant buy a PSP.

buy me
Music with Gameboys
plosive

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the comments.. i made a lil ds10 demo video. not a full performance or anything (i plan on doin one later when i have more time).. but for some reason tonight i felt like screwin around with some dnb beats and this is the result :

http://www.vimeo.com/1452143 Wink

PSPSeq sounds really slick btw...
ecb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plosive wrote:
thanks for the comments.. i made a lil ds10 demo video. not a full performance or anything (i plan on doin one later when i have more time).. but for some reason tonight i felt like screwin around with some dnb beats and this is the result :

http://www.vimeo.com/1452143 Wink

PSPSeq sounds really slick btw...

cool this is the first time i've seen video of the DS-10 in action. it's a very pretty interface. PSPSeq can handle a lot more polyphony and has more experimental options, but i definitely don't have any swinging cables. Wink
travisthered

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a DS but i have never used homebrew/etc.

What would i need to do to run these programs and sync to my EMX via midi?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: