Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keybed of Pa3x76 vs. Pa4x76 ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
simajanpa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Keybed of Pa3x76 vs. Pa4x76 ? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the keybeds of these two boards will be EXACTLY the same.
I just tried a Pa3x76 board and LOVED the keybed on that, and would like to know if the Pa4x will be using the EXACT same keybed.

The LE models have a totally different keybed that I personally don't care for.

I would consider buying the Pa4x just to get that keybed if it's the same as the Pa3x.

Thanks
Paul
KONNECTORAS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pa4X keybed is a little bit smoother than PA3X's...
Same dimensions, just smoother.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
simajanpa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Keybed Feel Reply with quote

KONNECTORAS wrote:
The Pa4X keybed is a little bit smoother than PA3X's...
Same dimensions, just smoother.

You say smoother, do you mean the finish of the keys?

I want to know if they basically took/used the exact same keybed from the Pa3x76 and are now using it in the Pa4x76. Being the same dimensions it just may be.

I imagine that it is a Fatar brand of keybed since the unit is made in Italy, and lots of other brands of keyboards use Fatar keybeds.

I just played a Pa3x76 and really loved that action, and now that I see the Pa4x76 is soon to be available, that could be a contender for me....just for that keybed action. I haven't played/found a keybed action on any brand of synth that I'd prefer more than this action. And I've tried them all!

I'd love to know who manufactures the keybed for the Pa3x76 for sure.

Thanks
Paul
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting … I have found very little difference between the PA1Xpro-76, PA2XPro-76 and the PA3XPro-76 keybeds except that the PA3XPro-76 has a slightly improved aftertouch response (but still not that good).
Aftertouch on black keys is shocking - on my PA1XPro you had to almost stand on the keybed to get aftertouch on black keys working (despite any GLOBAL settings) - my PA2Xpro wasn't much better but my PA3XPro is slightly improved.

Personally, I reckon all 3 have the same keybed BUT the action is great and I really couldn't say that I found the actual action to be different on all 3.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
simajanpa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Keybed Action Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Interesting … I have found very little difference between the PA1Xpro-76, PA2XPro-76 and the PA3XPro-76 keybeds except that the PA3XPro-76 has a slightly improved aftertouch response (but still not that good).
Aftertouch on black keys is shocking - on my PA1XPro you had to almost stand on the keybed to get aftertouch on black keys working (despite any GLOBAL settings) - my PA2Xpro wasn't much better but my PA3XPro is slightly improved.

Personally, I reckon all 3 have the same keybed BUT the action is great and I really couldn't say that I found the actual action to be different on all 3.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy

Thanks Pete

I liked my Triton EX76 keybed, that felt good but it had a Yamaha keybed in it when I opened it up for service once.

The keybed in the Pa3x76 is very different size and feel wise, than the Yamaha Motif XF that was next to it in the store. The Mofif's keys are shorter, and feel a bit lighter to play than the Korg's.
I think that the Pa3x76 keypad is like no other out there right now on any brand of pro level keyboard I've tried lately.

Even though I don't need, want or desire an arranger type of keyboard, I like the key bed of the Pa3x76 so much, that I may be willing to drop the dime dime on it, just for the keybed.

The original Kronos 61 I had didn't feel as good to me.
I just auditioned every brand of pro-level keyboard I could get my hands on at a large store in NY, and the Pa3x76 was by far my favorite.

Never have been a weighted action guy.

Cheers
Paul
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a tendency for keybeds to 'play in' over time. And day to day use scuffs up the action, leading to an impression of 'shine' difference.
We get used to it, it's so gradual few notice it. But often playing a brand new example of an arranger we may have been playing for 3-4 years daily will show you that things may have altered a bit, especially if you have a fairly firm touch.

So, at this point, it might be a bit premature to say definitively that the PA4X is 'different'.

It may be that it is simply 'brand new'... Wink
simajanpa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Keybed feel Reply with quote

Dikikeys wrote:
There's a tendency for keybeds to 'play in' over time. And day to day use scuffs up the action, leading to an impression of 'shine' difference.
We get used to it, it's so gradual few notice it. But often playing a brand new example of an arranger we may have been playing for 3-4 years daily will show you that things may have altered a bit, especially if you have a fairly firm touch.

So, at this point, it might be a bit premature to say definitively that the PA4X is 'different'.

It may be that it is simply 'brand new'... Wink

Guys I'm talking key size and feel here, not looks.

Just saying that the Pa3x76 keybed is like nothing else out there, "feel wise" compared to all the rest for me at least.
I realize that things break-in after a while and may look different, the Pa3x76 feels like my old Korg keyboards...ie: DW8000, O1w/FD, Wavestation AD, M1, T3. Nice and solid for a semi-weighted keybed.

Paul
KONNECTORAS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facts:

1. I made the comparison with a demo PA3X unit and a PA4X brand new demo unit as well.

2. Keybeds have EXACTLY the same directions.

3. Pa4X fell is smoother, not totally jighter, just smoother...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
simajanpa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Keybed feel Reply with quote

KONNECTORAS wrote:
Facts:

1. I made the comparison with a demo PA3X unit and a PA4X brand new demo unit as well.

2. Keybeds have EXACTLY the same directions.

3. Pa4X fell is smoother, not totally jighter, just smoother...

Well it sounds like maybe they have used the same keybed since the dimensions are the same, as no other keybed had those same dimensions and feel that I saw last weekend at the store.

I will just have to wait and touch the real thing when it hits the States.

Thanks for looking into this for me.

Paul
KONNECTORAS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might have changed the weight under each key...
simajanpa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Keybed feel Reply with quote

KONNECTORAS wrote:
They might have changed the weight under each key...

I certainly hope not! That just may screw the pooch.

Paul
KONNECTORAS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I bring in my mind the feeleing, I conclude that for sure the weight is slightly changed.

And believe me this is not bad. The total feel remains as semiweighted, but it is more sweet than the Pa3X.
wma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems it's the fatar tp/8sk weighted w/ aftertouch while featuring taller (front-end key tails not the key head) & less narrowed black keys almost or exactly the same one used with their previous pa2x & pa3x & also it's used with the ketron audya .. any ways besides the other model tp/8s weighted (used with the access virus ti2 & roland g70 & some others), these two keybed are among the best keybeds on the market in terms of action. i wish there's a cheap/affordable 76-key midi controller that offer any of these
Xx_Joey_xX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another $uck up by KORG

I'm guessing the people designing these things at KORG are mostly engineers and not gigging musicians.

$4000 for a keyboard and all they can do to improve one of the most important parts of the keyboard THE ACTUAL KEYS, they make em smoother? I mean really Korg?

You make 2 models, why didn't you make the 61 version Synth action, synth shaped keys?. On the pa3x I had to change the entire keybed and the keys on the 61 key version, I think i will do the same if i get this.

people who prefer the piano key look or feel could go with the 76 key version since it has an extra octave, and solo players can have the smaller 61 key version with synth action keys.
simajanpa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Keybed feel Reply with quote

wma wrote:
it seems it's the fatar tp/8sk weighted w/ aftertouch while featuring taller (front-end key tails not the key head) & less narrowed black keys almost or exactly the same one used with their previous pa2x & pa3x & also it's used with the ketron audya .. any ways besides the other model tp/8s weighted (used with the access virus ti2 & roland g70 & some others), these two keybed are among the best keybeds on the market in terms of action. i wish there's a cheap/affordable 76-key midi controller that offer any of these

Thanks WMA for this info, I agree, it would be great to get a controller with this same action, but that would make for a very expensive controller only unit. I played a kurzweil Artis & that has TP8 semi-weighted action and I did not care for it at all. Too stiff and springy feeling.
I also played the Nords which supposedly have the same action and they don't feel anywheres near as stiff and springy.

Again, I'll have to wait and see when the PA4x76 comes out for me to try.

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: