Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radias Drum Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lava

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Radias Drum Questions Reply with quote

I recently got a Radias and am loving it. I started exploring the drum kits on it, and have a bunch of questions. What I'm trying to do is bring up a single kit and do the following:

1. Modulate the sound of the entire kit globally with the filters, LFOs, and fx.
2. Arpeggiate the kit, and have it correspondingly change drums within the kit as I hold chords moving up the keyboard.

- First I took an init sound and switched osc 1 to DRUM PCM. Well, that way I could only play a single drum sound so that wasn't it. Is that really how that works, or am I missing something?

- Then I went into full-on DRUM mode, but it seemed like each drum had its own settings as to whether it would be affected by the filters/lfos/etc. I just want to throw a filter on the ENTIRE kit. Also, it seemed like I could arpeggiate it, but couldn't latch the arp nor could I find the arp settings (PAGE menu doesn't work).

- Then I managed to call up a kit as TIMBRE 4 in one of the patches. I can get the arpeggiator to do what I want in this mode, but can't seem to get the the filters/lfos to do anything to the sound. Do I need to internally feed it to one of the other timbres for processing?

Sorry, but it's a little strange to get your head around this part of the synth.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

For drums, you need to build up your kit in drummode. You can there create up to 16 drumsounds in a kit. Each sound of the kit can be tweaked completely (lfo, filter and so on), but the result will be rather static, i.e. it's not easy to change the sound radically while playing (performance). Maybe I'm wrong here on the last statement, as I don't own the radias.
When building up a sound of the kit, you can use classic waveforms (saw, sine, pulse, ...) or opt for a sample of a realistic drum. In the latter case you switch osc1 to drum pcm and choose your sample.

When happy with your kit, you choose it in a program as one of the timbres. So that it can be combined with a bass line or melody line.
If you want to modulate your entire kit now, the best option is to enable an insert effect on the timbre you've chosen for the drumkit. E.g. the stereofilter. It is a LFO modulated filter. From the different parameters of the filter, you can choose 2 of them, that can be tweaked during performance with a knob (e.g. the LFO modulation intensity and the cut-off frequency).

In the program mode, you enable then the arpeggiator for the timbre that you have chosen for the drumkit. In the arpeggiator page, you can enable the latch (or push the button).
The drum mode is more to prelisten your kit, accordingly the arpeggiator will use the settings of the your current selected program and/or will have limited functionality. If your current selected program did not (yet) have a drumkit assigned to a timbre, you can only enable/disable the arpeggiator in drum kit mode, but not e.g. latch it (as you indicate already). So switch back to program mode...

Have fun!
lava

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! All of this makes sense.

Is it not possible to apply the mod sequencer to a drum kit in program mode? It would be great to be able to use the knobs to bring drums in and out.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

No, unfortunately you can not apply the modsequencers to timbres set up for drum kit.

But you can try the following. It costs you one extra timbre. The idea is to route the drumkit timbre via the internal bus to an extra timbre which is set up as synth. And then the mod sequencers come again into the picture. Unfortunately it will act on the drumkit as a whole and not one individual drum instrument.

Here is the outline:
* set up a timbre as drumkit
- set the output balance of this timbre to individual out (so that it does not appear right away in the main mix)
- choose the internal bus as invidividual out for this bus
* set up a second timbre:
- choose audio in for oscillator 1
- choose the internal bus as audio source
- set up the mod sequencers, e.g. cutoff of the filter, or LFO modulation of the amplitude, ...
- set the output balance to main
- set the voice to mono
- set the keyboard range to the same notes used for the drumkit

When you hit keys for the drumkit, the particular drum instrument will be played and at the same time the second timbre will pass the sound modulated by the sequencer.
You may need to vary on this scheme, e.g. add a long release time to avoid hickups when releasing a note for drumkit, or set up 1 key for the second timbre, that you hold to hear the drums...
You could also set up your drumkit instruments in 2 groups by turning the panning to completely left or right for each instrument and make use of that. E.g. set up a third timbre in the same way as the second one, but now choose left balance for audio in for the second timbre and right balance for the 3rd one. This way you could set up different sequences for each group... A lot of things to exeriment with...

Enjoy.
lava

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic, thank you so much! Can't wait to get home and try all of this.
lava

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just occurred to me that the grain shifter has got to be pretty awesome on top of a drum sequence. Such a deep synthesizer.
lava

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this tip in another thread, figured I'd post it here so other Radias users could take advantage.

1. Set OSC1 to DRUM PCM
2. Set OSC1 control 2 to WaveSel: 025 (SD- Syn3)
3. Set Patch 01 -> Source: Keytrack / Dest: OSC1Ctrl2
4. Set the intensity of the patch to: +14
5. Set the Keyboard transpose to: +24

Now you can polyphonically play or sequence all the Radias drum samples across the range of the keyboard without using a drum timbre.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: