Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buy a PA3X or PA4X
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hammer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Buy a PA3X or PA4X Reply with quote

I wanted to get some advice or input about why would I buy the new PA4X instead of a used PA3X? The money is not the issue but rather what do you get in the 4x for the extra money that the 3X does not offer? As an example, I returned my Tyros 5 and kept my Tyros 4 because I did not see enough improvement to warrant the extra money.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Deane
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy a PA3X or PA4X Reply with quote

hammer wrote:
I wanted to get some advice or input about why would I buy the new PA4X instead of a used PA3X? The money is not the issue but rather what do you get in the 4x for the extra money that the 3X does not offer? As an example, I returned my Tyros 5 and kept my Tyros 4 because I did not see enough improvement to warrant the extra money.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Deane

How about the most important reason...... Improved sound quallity...
Nippynige

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hammer and Bachus. I am new to this forum but have been reading quite a lot about the PA4X both here and on Synthzone.

I have been struggling with a similar issue. I have a Tyros 4 and have been keen to try a Korg for sometime. I had a PA500 for a while but wanted a more capable machine.

I have been trying to decide if I should keep the Tyros 4 and add a used PA3x or swap the Tyros for a PA4x. Yesterday I took the bull by the horns and ordered a 76 note PA4X but I still have a niggle and I am not sure if I have done the right thing. So far, not much has been said about how much better the PA4X is than the 3.

Anything further anyone can say on this would be much appreciated.

Many thanks and good wishes to you all. Very Happy
mrniceneasy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because you have doubts I would try to view the pa4x in a Shop and try it out for yourself. It's a lot of money to just take a chance on and then find it doesn't suit you.

In my experience Yamaha users don't change too readily to the Korg OS...
stephenm52

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrniceneasy wrote:
Because you have doubts I would try to view the pa4x in a Shop and try it out for yourself. It's a lot of money to just take a chance on and then find it doesn't suit you.

In my experience Yamaha users don't change too readily to the Korg OS...

I have the Pa3x and a Tyros5, wouldn't do without either one, they are both great boards. There is a learning curve if your moving from Yamaha to Korg but it's not that steep a learning curve, well at least it wasn't for me.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nippynige wrote:
Yesterday I took the bull by the horns and ordered a 76 note PA4X but I still have a niggle and I am not sure if I have done the right thing.

You did the best choice , also sell T4 , since judging from your requirements , you've ordered the best factory resources you can ever find in an arranger !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nippynige wrote:
Yesterday I took the bull by the horns and ordered a 76 note PA4X

If you perform, record or simply want a truly professionally designed and professionally sounding arranger, then you have definitely done the right thing.
I owned Tyros and Korg PAs concurrently and compared directly by re-recording my band using both (same songs) - there is NO comparison IMHO - Korg kills it every time.

I have owned (too) many Yamaha arrangers over the years from a PS55 to PSR6700 to Tyros and I DO still like Yamaha but when it comes to the OS, styles, performing, recording, vocal harmonies etc… the Korg is so so far ahead.

You asked for my opinion - I would sell the T4 and get the PA4X - if money is an issue then sell the T4 and get a new PA3X (there are some around) - either decision is a winner.
However, you've ordered the PA4X - if for any reason you don't like it and need to get it out of the house, I'll send you my address (I'll pay for shipping!!) Wink

Just my opinions

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Nippynige

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I will keep my PA4X order and see if I can afford to also keep the Tyros. If not I will give the Korg a go on its own.

Meanwhile, I did not mean to hijack Hammers's original question......

From those who have seen or used the PA4X, how much better than a 3X is it?

Thank you everyone and I look forward to your further comments.
ikspeel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switchend from THE pa3x to THE pa4x
THE sound on THE pa4x are mutch mutch better
THE styles are better,making à style from midi great option, THE screen
Very improved,enz
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nippynige wrote:
I will keep my PA4X order and see if I can afford to also keep the Tyros. If not I will give the Korg a go on its own

If you need two arrangers , let's say OK keep your T4 , but if you just want a second keyboard to complement
your Pa4X then you'd rather purchase a Kronos workstation in order to expand your sound library with extra
synth modules and third-party sound libraries.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you need two arrangers , let's say OK keep your T4 , but if you just want a second keyboard to complement
your Pa4X then you'd rather purchase a Kronos workstation in order to expand your sound library with extra
synth modules and third-party sound libraries.

Have to agree Korg PA3/4 and a Kronos is a fabulous combination….
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
korgpask

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg Pa4x main advantages.
1. New realistic sound. very nice. 1800
2. create new styles from MIDI. style editor, style creator, style convertor.
3. Load chords from MIDI ,Save chord, load and playing in style.
4. A new chord sequencer.
5. The new sounds of guitars, piano, brass etc.
6. New Direct style bank.
7. better loading styles.
8. A new feature of MP3 play + mp3 record.
9. New disc in pa4x - Korg disk + disk + Micro SD KORG 500GB disk + 2 USB flash disk
10. The new preset bank
11. + 3.5 mm audio jack and more in others
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the only reason to NOT get a PA4X rather than a PA3X (if money is not the issue) would be if you are an extremely heavy sampler user.

If you do extensive ethnic music, the slightly smaller PA4X sampler might be a problem. But, you seem to have not mentioned using the T4/5's sampler a whole lot, nor do you already have a ready-made PA3X library (which may no longer fit), so I guess it isn't really that big a deal.

10X the sound ROM definitely sounds like a good thing! Direct access to styles, SMF's and audio backing tracks (rather than having to hand load them in advance) is definitely is a good thing!

You will also be future-proofing yourself for the next 5+ years for any new styles and sounds designed for the new arranger. I doubt Korg will spend much time making new styles for the PA3X, now the PA4X is out. Most 3rd party vendors will gradually shift to PA4X style production too.

However, if NONE of your choices is sufficient by itself, the choice of secondary gear is very dependent on what type of music you prefer to perform... Synth heavy EDM stuff might dictate a laptop and grid controller, piano heavy jazz might dictate an 88 controller or stage piano, an organ aficionado might want a Nord or a Hammond clone, etc., etc..

About the only thing I WOULDN'T recommend, to be honest, is a second keyboard from the same manufacturer as your main arranger. Too much in the way of similarity... If you buy from a different manufacturer, you guarantee that every sound will at least be different, and effectively double your sonic choices. A PA4X and an Integra7 module might be a good choice if you only need the one keyboard. Or maybe a PA4X and a MOXF Yamaha if two is in the budget.

But being content to work within the limitations of ONE piece of gear definitely simplifies performing. They ALL have limitations, so you might as well try to get the most out of one than complicate your life with many! Wink
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deane is using Ketron SD7 as his main board. Wants something different for second, or backup board. After hearing the Ketron, the Tyros sounds pretty dead.
Hope you don't mind my jumping in here Deane.
DonM
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonM wrote:
Deane is using Ketron SD7 as his main board. Wants something different for second, or backup board. After hearing the Ketron, the Tyros sounds pretty dead.
Hope you don't mind my jumping in here Deane.
DonM

Thats an opinion about the Tyros that you make sound like a conclusion... To which i certainly dont agree.

The Tyros 5 has many things to offer not available on any other arranger, which makes it a very good board either to play solo or to add to any other arranger or workstation..

I played a pa4x altough briefly and compared it to the Tyros 5, both have stellar soundquallity.. Pa4x seems to have the edge on piano and synth instruments, where tyros still is better on accoustic instruments.. Ensemble and organs are one of a kind on tyros , effects are more diverse and better on Tyros5, there is nothing like freeplay and session styles on the Korg.. And T5 has a huge 2GB expansion memmory for your own user sounds..

Pa4x has the edge on creating your own sounds from the build in samples, tough when using Yem and the many other software external tools T5 is not far beyound..

Sound quallity of the Tyros 5 is top knotch, and using Korg based styles on the T5 yields also good results.. Keep in mind tough that in many peoples opinion, Ketron still has the best programmed styles, they just sound awesome... Tough with some tweaking i can get many of those (non audio) ketron styles to sound just as great on the T5..

Tough where i found the pa4x to really shine was on its new drums.. Was ver very nice..

In the end Saying Tyros 5 sounds like a dead horse makes it obvious you are biased and takes away from your credibillity as a neutrall source which would yield neutral advise to his friends..

All top arrangers currently sound great, and with the right input they each can be tweaked to sound just as you want... This leaves me with the opinion that people should choose their instruments mostly based on features and what they need out of the instrument then based on the sound quallity..

Both Tyros 5, Ketron SD7 and PA4x have many things to offer the others dont have....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: