Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe 2 Midi Out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alpalle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Electribe 2 Midi Out Reply with quote

Hey Guys Smile

I got an Electribe 2 and I'm trying to send midi from it to my MPX16.
The MPX16 won't recieve midi from the Electribe, but it will recieve from my Arturia Beatstep.

Are there some kind of config i need to be aware of?

I thought it would be simple, but i have no idea what to do actually.
Even the shop where i bought the machines don't know how to help.

Best Regards
A
moog666

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am having this exact same issue. No Idea what I could be doing wrong.
Z7A

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have the MPX16, but I read about it during the summer when I was looking at different samplers.

I suppose 16 notes correspond to the 16 pads. You have to figure out which ones in keyboard mode, using Chromatic scale and maybe adjust the Key. If you have not updated the firmware it will receive notes on all channels simultaneously.

Quote:
Since then firmware update v1.0.18 was released, available on the MPX16 page:

http://www.akaipro.com/product/mpx16#downloads

The MPX16 will now receive on MIDI channel 1, and send on MIDI channel 10.
alpalle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Keyboard mode Reply with quote

I don't know what you mean with keyboard mode.. Im just using the internal clock mode on the electribe.. I have it set to a chromatic scale, and im using the first pad on the electribe, as i understand it the first pad is also Midi channel 1. i have also tried the other midi channels and i can't get no reaction from the MPX!?
what am i doing wrong?
And btw. i have installed the update on the MPX 16..
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Keyboard mode Reply with quote

alpalle wrote:
I don't know what you mean with keyboard mode...

Look closer at your electribe2.
There's a button named just like that.
I will yield suprising results.
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things that can prevent your slaved device making sound when receiving MIDI from the e2.

1. MIDI filter settings on the e2. Check the Out - the MIDI filter should be Off. Otherwise, it's blocking note data and/or program changes.

2. e2 sends all kinds of data. You may be adjusting a knob on the e2 that corresponds with volume or some other setting on the slaved device.

3. Cables: The e2's MIDI cables (small stereo jack to DIN) may be wired incorrectly. There were some cables that had the polarity reversed. Test with other cables.

4. Is the device receiving the e2's clock, program changes, etc?

5. Are you not in keyboard mode on the e2? Is your slaved device a drum machine? If it's a drum machine that has "kits" spread across the notes of a single channel in the c4-c6 range, you need to trigger a note in keyboard mode that corresponds to a drum sound, with the correct octave selected.

6. Is the slaved device changing programs to blank INIT sound banks as you change patterns on the e2? If so, it's getting MIDI but going to a blank setting on the slaved device.

7. Everything connected correctly, audio and MIDI? Can you send MIDI to the e2 from your other gear?

8. Maybe your other thing is busted?

9. Check for ghosts chewing on the cables
Z7A

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Keyboard mode Reply with quote

alpalle wrote:
I don't know what you mean with keyboard mode.. Im just using the internal clock mode on the electribe.. I have it set to a chromatic scale, and im using the first pad on the electribe, as i understand it the first pad is also Midi channel 1. i have also tried the other midi channels and i can't get no reaction from the MPX!?
what am i doing wrong?
And btw. i have installed the update on the MPX 16..

I meant changing the pad mode to having the Keyboard button lit. By default when electribe is turned on it is in Trigger pad mode, which can be configured to work in 3 different ways.
moog666

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I think I have this sorted now. If any of this is wrong let me know and I will edit the post.
First of all choose the pad you wish to control the MPX16 with and set the oscillator to 'audio in' The pads can be triggered by playing the following notes.

*UPDATE*
So it turns out the Midi number on the pad of the MPX16 corresponds to notes. Ie: you set it to 000 it will be triggered by a C0. 001 wold be a C#0. And so on.

Pad 1: C1, C2,
Pad 2: D1, C#2,
Pad 3: ???
Pad 4: E1, D#2,
Pad 5: C#0,
Pad 6: F2,
Pad 7: F#2
Pad 8: G2
Pad 9: G#2
Pad 10: A2
Pad 11: A#2
Pad 12: B2
Pad 13: C3
Pad 14: C#3
Pad 15: D3
Pad 16: D#3

This is correct to the best of my knowledge. Any issues just ask.
cross9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Electribe 2 Midi cable polarity Reply with quote

Thanks for this super helpful tip Ted3000. After much searching it seems my MIDI cables were indeed wired with the wrong polarity!!! Wtf?!?! Rolling Eyes

Ted3000 wrote:
Things that can prevent your slaved device making sound when receiving MIDI from the e2.

3. Cables: The e2's MIDI cables (small stereo jack to DIN) may be wired incorrectly. There were some cables that had the polarity reversed. Test with other cables.

slug

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Electribe 2 Midi cable polarity Reply with quote

cross9 wrote:
Thanks for this super helpful tip Ted3000. After much searching it seems my MIDI cables were indeed wired with the wrong polarity!!! Wtf?!?! Rolling Eyes

I remember there was a bulletin early from Korg that some of their 3.5mm MIDI adapters included with SQ1s were faulty, maybe some sneaked into the electribe boxes as well?

If you are using a third party adapter, then only just towards the end of last year was the 3.5mm jack to MIDI wiring standardised to match Korg and Make Noise polarity, so for a while there different manufacturers were making different polarity adapter suitable for their own design.
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we have a standard!

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/08/21/midi-connections-have-a-newsmaller-standard/
https://www.midi.org/articles-old/trs-specification-adopted-and-released

Seems Korg got it right after all. :inb4:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: