Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When is the Update/s Coming?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg PAs are an ongoing developing line of hardware, software and firmware - each model has new features, configurations etc.
Firstly, I challenge you to sit down and write a comprehensive testing plan for the instrument (any keyboard in fact).
Bet you can't.

Testing Plan ? The testing plan would work in tandem with the R&D design and to be published features and specifications would it not ?

Secondly, when a few bugs rear their ugly heads, then an OS modification plan is required and then a new testing plan - yes all over again.
It would be reasonable to expect Korg to bundle as much re-programming together in one hit rather than lots of little fixes.
In reality, the smallest of fixes could introduce a whole new, complete and comprehensive testing plan again.

If we are seriously saying that the PA4X shouldn't have been released, then the analogy applies to every keyboard manufacturer, everything from Microsoft, and etc..etc..

When you look at these comparisons and take Microsoft as an example there is no way that MS can design a OS which will then be expected to work with all kinds of 3rd Party software and hardware hence the thousands of continual OS updates you see with MS. Korg and any Musical instrument manufacturer are in an entirely different position in that they are designing the software and hardware all in house, all the testing is done in house and possibly with a few advanced beta testers. Under these conditions one would think system bugs would be identified and listed, of course not every bug might be identified but it would be near and operationally acceptable. To find that then to release the product especially to experienced performing musicians who then find that having laid out on a Flagship product that they feel they cannot use it live raises serious concerns for them and so it should follow that Korg are concerned. We are not talking about players and owners here who are trying to get the Pa4x working with other equipment or software but the problems they have identified trying to work with the product.

The public will always be beta testers by default with products that have infinite permutations of usage (i.e. almost impossible to completely test)

On that note Smile I have never bought a keyboard and I have owned a great many and found that it does not work as expected, there will always be wish lists but thats another story. For me personally I am a newbie with using a arranger live and I am not trying to get backwards compatibility with previous Korg Arrangers so as yet everything seems ok, time will tell

The great thing is, Korg respond and always have.

Great !
Just saying....
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through this fiasco with Ketron SD7. After six months, I finally just sold the damned thing, as much as I loved the sound of it.
One good thing came of it, I cancelled my order for PA4X. I will not be a beta tester again.
After you guys get it straightened out, sometime next year, I will check it out!
Meanwhile, I will play either my PA3X or Yamaha PSR S970, which works flawlessly right out of the box.
I know what you're going through, but I'm not doing it this time!
DonM
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Testing Plan ? The testing plan would work in tandem with the R&D design and to be published features and specifications would it not ?

Of course - but take a moment to think about how you test any keyboard like this.
You say that MS WINDOWS cannot be completely tested because of the different hardware etc that it may run on - AGREE - this is the analogy.
You have a musical instrument - played by thousands of different players - all using different combinations of options, button pushes and settings - that's what I'm trying to say.
So come up with the integration and user acceptance testing plans to cover all this - yeah - very hard eh.

So Korg now know of some fixes that are required. They will not be diving in "fixing" without careful planning to avoid any further problems.
Also, it would make sense to fix several problems rather than a few and have to repeat testing over and over.

Purely fundamentals of any IT systems manufacturing & software development.

Again, just saying....

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
robkeith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know in the past it has been Korg's practice to release unfinished buggy products. I was kinda hoping with the PA4X that they would have discontinued that practice for the PA4X.

As far as testing, it would have been evident very early in the peace, ie making of the tutorial video's, that the unit needed some serious software fixes then.

I know in the end they will get it right, but as I said and we are starting to see users that have sold their keyboards to finance the PA4X, it can't be used in a live situation. Too many bugs and not stable enough as yet for that purpose.

Also I can't believe in Beta testing that the major flaw ie, songbook and locks would not have been picked up before distribution of the board.

And Korg if you are listening it's been 4 months gone coming up to five, the whisper is before xmas, but I remember an instance once before where it was an additional 3 months after that whisper that the actual fixes came in for users.

Really I'm excited about the sound of the board it's fantastic and the scenarios to program a night of great music are fabulous.

Please can we spend a little more money and get this sorted asap.

Thanks Korg
Salto

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered one last week....Next shipment from is January 22nd....Seems like they are doing some updating & fixing the glitches...

Glad I will be on the 2nd batch....I would imagine there will be a new OS on my board

www.stevealtonian.com

Korg PA 4X 76-Korg Triton Extreme-Breedlove American C25-Fishman Artist Acoustic Guitar Amp-Tascam DP 24 Digital Multitrack
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robkeith wrote:
I know in the past it has been Korg's practice to release unfinished buggy products. I was kinda hoping with the PA4X that they would have discontinued that practice for the PA4X.

As far as testing, it would have been evident very early in the peace, ie making of the tutorial video's, that the unit needed some serious software fixes then.

I know in the end they will get it right, but as I said and we are starting to see users that have sold their keyboards to finance the PA4X, it can't be used in a live situation. Too many bugs and not stable enough as yet for that purpose.

Also I can't believe in Beta testing that the major flaw ie, songbook and locks would not have been picked up before distribution of the board.

And Korg if you are listening it's been 4 months gone coming up to five, the whisper is before xmas, but I remember an instance once before where it was an additional 3 months after that whisper that the actual fixes came in for users.

Really I'm excited about the sound of the board it's fantastic and the scenarios to program a night of great music are fabulous.

Please can we spend a little more money and get this sorted asap.

Thanks Korg
I agree with you there robKeith...
Salto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check that............PA 4X was shipped yesterday....

Come on everybody here we goooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

www.stevealtonian.com

Korg PA 4X 76-Korg Triton Extreme-Breedlove American C25-Fishman Artist Acoustic Guitar Amp-Tascam DP 24 Digital Multitrack
robkeith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see Salto your PA4X on the way!

Now if we can just get the patches to fix the problems we can all get use it live!
Salto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying you cannot play a style all the way through? Never used an Arranger before this is my first one. Please explain.....

Thx

www.stevealtonian.com

robkeith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve A,

no it's great using at home and fooling around and so on. Sounds are fantastic, and the styles are greatly improved. But if you are thinking you can go live with it, think again. The bugs in the Songbook, locks and hard drive will make it a very difficult task.

If you watch the people demonstrating it at the moment, you will see that there is quite a time between action, which will make this a big no no when you're in front of an audience.

I'm sure you will love the parts I am talking about, but really I'ts disappointing that the board was released with major faults.

This has become a poor trait of Korg. I know in the end they will fix it, (should have happened by now) but really if they are going to use early adopters as testers they should at least offer special pricing or maybe the PAS speaker system with the 1st releases.

Enjoy my friend, but it wont take long to realize the things made reference to in the bugs list so far.
Salto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob....

As long as I can play a song all the way through at Church I am cool. I will also be recording with this puppy.

I'm hoping and believing I am too new to Arrangers to know the difference....

www.stevealtonian.com

cobay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Paolo..
Any chance getting an update before christmas?...
robkeith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to another thread here from a dealer and I quotye "Korg have fixed all problems and update is imminent"

Paolo if thats the case, why are we not seeing it?

Thanks
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
According to another thread here from a dealer and I quotye "Korg have fixed all problems and update is imminent"

Paolo if thats the case, why are we not seeing it?

Would love to know how THAT dealer knows!!!

Korg Italy will inform us when it is released.
I wouldn't trust any dealer's word on those sorts of things - only Korg's

It clearly is not ready yet otherwise we would know about it.

Korg Italy will be in no position to announce anything on our unofficial Korg forums until the release is confirmed by Korg management.

Patience Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Paolo@Korg
Korg Italy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I can confirm the new OS is ready. It will be released as soon as our web site is updated. I guess it is a matter of a few days. We'll announce it here.

Paolo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: