Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Havian 30 initial thoughts and mini review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevedoz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Havian 30 initial thoughts and mini review Reply with quote

I picked up my Havian 30, together with the optional stand, on Saturday, so I thought I would put together some initial impressions.
My musical background is that I am an average ability amateur, and my impressions are just how I have found my experience with the instrument at home. I have no plans to take it on stage.
My previous instrument was a Roland HP-107, bought about 9 years ago, which was a lovely instrument, the only real issues were its large size and limited sounds with no accompaniments.
I bought the Havian on the basis that it provides many more features, hopefully allowing me to play many more types of music etc.
My main comparison instruments have been the Kawai ES8 and Roland FP80. Although I see this as an arranger with piano features and the others as pianos with some arranger features.
Looks:
Its not my favourite instrument to look at but it’s a matter of opinion… there’s certainly nothing wrong with it and I feel the stand makes it look more at place in a home
Build:
Hard to tell, but it looks sturdy and well made. No reason to think otherwise at this stage
Ease of use:
It can do a lot, and given that, I would say Korg have done an excellent job of making things as intuitive as possible. The touchscreen helps get places quickly and there are the right number of direct buttons and dials for the most important functions.
Keyboard feel:
I like it. Probably my second favourite of the instruments I have looked at behind the ES8. Quiet and with good control
Sounds:
Here we go. I have to say that in my view the main acoustic pianos are all below average, and to my ears well below its rivals. However, this must be me, as all reviews I’ve seen and read say that they are really good. I’ve listened on youtube and it sounds really good. The demos sound great. But when I play, either through the inbuilt speakers or my Grado quality headphones, they sound thin, with noticeable artifacts etc. Not as good as my old Roland even. I have not tried them with some good monitors yet.
Other sounds. In general, they are all between good and stunningly good. Very usable with so many choices, far more than similar instruments in the price range, and in my view better quality. Guitars are the stars for me.
Styles:
Way better than its rivals. Many more choices of style + many intros, variations fills and endings. Endless options and seem to vary anywhere between solid and basic to sophisticated and brilliant.
Misc:
Pedal – fine… not special but works well enough
Music stand – worthless – may as well stick it in the bin but most like this are the same. Will need to find another option.
Connectivity – probably got what you need but it is sparse compared to others. I wish there was a line in so I could consider other piano samples and loop them back to the instrument. Or just connect an Ipod etc for practice.
Summary:
Apart from the pianos I love the instrument. For me it depends on what’s important to you. Keep this and have everything you need, or pay more for a home piano that does far less, but for me may sound better in some key areas. It’s a great machine though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: