Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Took the plunge: Triton Extreme to 1st Arranger PA 4X 76

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Took the plunge: Triton Extreme to 1st Arranger PA 4X 76 Reply with quote

Okay,

Let's just say I am compulsive in everything, & am an impulse buyer.

Current keyboard is a Triton Extreme 61. Wanted to get a new board & really wanted a 76 key. Have looked at Arrangers for years but never owned one. Singer/Songwriter, Acoustic Guitar & keys. Figured the Arranger should help me capture my songs and churn out some decent material.

At first I was gonna buy the Yamaha S970, which I played at a local store, but know nothing of Yamaha's OS as I never owned one. Wasn't thoroughly convinced with the action and playability as my ancient Extreme has a great keybed. I was approved for the 2K credit to buy the Yamaha. But I had the wifey try her credit this morning and Viola 4k credit.....so...................Just ordered the PA 4X 76 sight unseen.....

Will the OS from my EXTREME at least give me a basic familiarity with the PA 4X?

Did I take too deep a plunge as I have never used an Arranger in my life?

The keyboard is back-ordered and it may be available in a week, though no guarantees on that time frame...

Thoughts?

SteveA

www.stevealtonian.com
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you I have never owned an arranger, played loads of them but never could justify owning one as 98% my work is bands. I also happen to have a Triton Pro Classic. If you know your way around the Triton the Pa4x will soon become familiar as will some of the Patch Names Wink

Its a great instrument and I choose it over the Korg Kronos which I did not like.
The Pa4x is good enough to see band use and I can see many happy hours with this board.
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Will the OS from my EXTREME at least give me a basic familiarity with the PA 4X?

Basic yes, very basic. The KORG Arranger interface is considerably different from their Workstations. The terminology that will you will see on the screen will sound familiar, but the actual layout and interface itself will be almost nothing like your Triton Extreme.

For example, on an Arranger there's no dedicated COMBI or PROG mode. They call it SOUND mode and a single sound can have up to 24 layers. So it's sort of like rolling COMBI and PROG mode into one.

Quote:

Did I take too deep a plunge as I have never used an Arranger in my life?

Absolutely not, KORG's Arrangers are super advanced and to be honest, they will blow your Triton Extreme well out of the water. It's way superior.

The Pa4X is going to be one of KORG's hottest Arrangers to buy. It's already nearly impossible to get one due to high demand.

Regards
Sharp.
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Salto:

Although you've confess you are a compulsive buyer, my suggestion is: keep calm, save your money, or invest it properly.-
I've a Triton Extreme for more than 5 years, and what i've experience with it's strong construction (never an issue) and it's powerfull sound engine.-
I also have simultaneously and M3, a superior Workstation, and a PA600 arranger.-
Recently i sold both Triton a M3, and bought "the beast".-
I take in count PA4x, but, for the same price, whithout any doubt Kronos was the best invest.- The reasons are infinitely.- You have a keyboard with NINE sound engines, all of them that can be edited deeply, more that what you've seen on your Triton.-
PA4x is an arranger, and as it, is like an technician asistant that helps you when you want to compose, but, although PA4x have's a better sound engine, it never compares with Kronos.- Mention appart Kronos have's the magician KARMA, the best tool ever made, also for compossing.-
My best suggestion, analize what you need, and then decide what to buy, and first of all TEST BOTH KEYBOARDS IN DEEP, this is the best way to save your money.-
With regards.
Eduardo
Hal2001

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, If you are certain that you need the full functionality of an Arranger Keyboard, then you have chosen one of, if not, thee best with the Pa4x 76. However, if you are not certain if you need a dedicated Arranger, then you should reconsider, especially because you are paying a premium for this custom functionality. Yes Karma on the Kronos is cool, but it is not convenient to use on the fly, unless you know how to custom program your own Karma patterns (and I assume you want a ready to use backing board). The Yammy Arrangers like the S970 and Tyros 5 are also very good. And some musicians will prefer Ketron or Roland Arrangers. There is no definitive answer in choice of Brand superiority because the instrument is meant to please your very particular musical tastes and must please your very particular target audience (who you know best). So brand preference (like best high performance Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge, or High performance BMW vs Mercedes vs Audi) cannot be answered definitively for you. The answer has to satisfy you personal taste preference. So it is with the quality of the WS or Arranger KB sounds. My advice: If you know an Arranger is definitely what you need (vs WS), then by all means relax and enjoy the wait for the Pa4x arrival. However, if you are not certain about that basic decision making step, then go to Sam Ash or Guitar Center and play the highest end arranger they have on the floor (they very rarely stock a TOTL model), and play it for at least an hour straight (i've never seen them throw someone out). Play it as if you owned it and then think about how often you would want to use it and in what situations. That will tell you if it's worth it or not. Good luck. Hal
Salto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hal2001 wrote:
IMO, If you are certain that you need the full functionality of an Arranger Keyboard, then you have chosen one of, if not, thee best with the Pa4x 76. That will tell you if it's worth it or not. Good luck. Hal

Thanks Hal....

I am convinced of the Arranger purchase. 2x a month I lead worship @ a small church where I am the only musician. I lead with acoustic guitar and my Triton Extreme. I only use piano and cant use arpeggiator for this crowd. Arranger should fill up the room especially on faster songs...Interesting how i will use my acoustic with keboard as a drum machine type. Dont want to program sounds, never have. Plug and play kind of guy. While Kronos is an option, it can't do the Arranger thing...

Written over 100 tunes so there are at least 30 good ones never recorded.
Arranger should be an interesting tool. I will keep the EXTREME

Time to try something new......

www.stevealtonian.com

Korg PA 4X 76-Korg Triton Extreme-Breedlove American C25-Fishman Artist Acoustic Guitar Amp-Tascam DP 24 Digital Multitrack
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salto wrote:
... Plug and play kind of guy.......

That's the keyword right there. Arranger would do the job for you especially for standard praise and worship type of music.

Hal2001

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, sounds like the Pa4x will give you exactly what you want. I think your audience will be amazed with your new "ensemble" performances. Since you will be an early adopter in terms of new technology (the new model release), be patient and expect some bugs to take a little time to be solved in future updates. That is to be expected in any new model. That is the price of admission when you want the newest (and the best) right away. It comes with the territory. I pre-ordered the first gen Kronos and put up with the early bugs, and was patient for solutions. I had no regrets about the early purchase, because I got the Kronos into my hands early and could start learning the OS and functionality early (It was my first Korg. I'm still very happy with it. Hal
keyboard
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hal2001 wrote:
IMO, If you are certain that you need the full functionality of an Arranger Keyboard, then you have chosen one of, if not, thee best with the Pa4x 76. However, if you are not certain if you need a dedicated Arranger, then you should reconsider, especially because you are paying a premium for this custom functionality. Yes Karma on the Kronos is cool, but it is not convenient to use on the fly, unless you know how to custom program your own Karma patterns (and I assume you want a ready to use backing board). The Yammy Arrangers like the S970 and Tyros 5 are also very good. And some musicians will prefer Ketron or Roland Arrangers. There is no definitive answer in choice of Brand superiority because the instrument is meant to please your very particular musical tastes and must please your very particular target audience (who you know best). So brand preference (like best high performance Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge, or High performance BMW vs Mercedes vs Audi) cannot be answered definitively for you. The answer has to satisfy you personal taste preference. So it is with the quality of the WS or Arranger KB sounds. My advice: If you know an Arranger is definitely what you need (vs WS), then by all means relax and enjoy the wait for the Pa4x arrival. However, if you are not certain about that basic decision making step, then go to Sam Ash or Guitar Center and play the highest end arranger they have on the floor (they very rarely stock a TOTL model), and play it for at least an hour straight (i've never seen them throw someone out). Play it as if you owned it and then think about how often you would want to use it and in what situations. That will tell you if it's worth it or not. Good luck. Hal

Well written words. A very nice read !
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same decisions to make recently, Arranger or Kronos ?

After going through the arrangers from Yamaha, Roland and Korg ( ruled the Ketron out from early on ) I had it in mind the race was between the Korg Pa4x and Kronos. I really wanted the Kronos at first and might have replaced my Triton 76 Pro and Yamahe S90ES and Roland XV5080 with it. The Pa4x was the odd ball in the list as firstly I didnt know if I could get on with an arranger and secondly the price was up there with the K88. Now as I have said before they are two Different boards, different features and different jobs.

After spending the best part of 2 days playing both the Kronos done nothing for me, that screen is a killer in that its fatiguing to work with over many hours ( yes I have good eyesight ) The RH3 action is nothing compared with my S90ES and the Pianos are imho so, so. but the kronos pianos are better than the Pa4x in a standalone situation. The Pa4x is useable as a band Keyboard as it stands and all the meat and potatoes stuff is there along with powerful articulations, My brass impressions have just got a whole lot more impressive!

I am so pleased I kept my Triton, S90ES and XV5080 and now I have the Pa4x 76 and I am covered on all basis. I am sure that from a sound design aspect the Kronos would have kept me busy for a long time and equally the Pa4x although on first introductions appears simple there is depth to the instrument which just has a real quality to it. The only way to know whats best is to go put some hours in with both boards, look at what job of work you have for it and then decide.
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arranger or Synth... this discussion pops up every now and then.

I would eventually like a setup like Pete Karmathanever, arranger AND synth (in my dream PA4X AND Kronos 2), best of both worlds, but a huge investment.

Years ago there were a lot of (flagship) synths available as modules.
I would like something like that.
Roland Integra, Yamaha Motif rack... maybe one day I'll connect one of those to my PA3X, just for fun.
I think Korg could sell a lot of 'Kronos-modules' (maybe a very compact, downsized version?) to arranger players.
They have the technology, just put it in a different package (the smaller the better, see for example Gem-RPX or Ketron SD2 or SD1000).

Maybe with a handy I-pad app to connect/manage the two.
Just dreaming...

Play in style. Wink
Salto

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hal2001 wrote:
Steve, sounds like the Pa4x will give you exactly what you want. I think your audience will be amazed with your new "ensemble" performances. Since you will be an early adopter in terms of new technology (the new model release), be patient and expect some bugs to take a little time to be solved in future updates. That is to be expected in any new model. That is the price of admission when you want the newest (and the best) right away. It comes with the territory. I pre-ordered the first gen Kronos and put up with the early bugs, and was patient for solutions.. Hal

I may have an advantage over others who have had an arranger before. I won't miss what I never knew existed before.

As for the bugs, I had the same thing when I was an early TASCAM DP24 owner. Everyone bashed it. But today, all reviews are stellar. OS can be updated and errors fixed and omissions added.

I'm willing to pay the price

www.stevealtonian.com

Korg PA 4X 76-Korg Triton Extreme-Breedlove American C25-Fishman Artist Acoustic Guitar Amp-Tascam DP 24 Digital Multitrack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: