Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attention to all Pa4x users :INSERT EFFECTS ARE BROKEN
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Attention to all Pa4x users :INSERT EFFECTS ARE BROKEN Reply with quote

I thought that this problem isn't a problem, but definitely is a bug- problem.

INSERT EFFECTS DO NOT WORK AS IT SHOULD .

The same effects works differently when I using them like Insert and master fx.

I have done all routing rules, and I know matter, so human factor here is out of option.

Example :

Stereo compressor FX ,when is on Insert FX,either for the whole DK /or for the specific family CHOKE everything. ( this is example with default compressor settings - I am aware that different parameters could produce such effect (choking effect)) . Result- Drum kit sounds worse and Stereo compressor is useless when using it on Insert Fx.
When I put the same FX on Master FX (non relevant 1-2 or 3 ) ane re-route signal in Mixer, that FX (Stereo Compressor ) is working as Insert FX like it should ( Like is working on Pa3x ) ,sound picture is much better!

My observations so far that Insert FX is working OK when using bass amp Fx's , guitar amps on guitars, but others, Dynamic FX( Compressors,Limiters , Flangers ( MODULATION FX's ) ARE NOT WORK WELL ON INSERT FX. I did not have time to try all of them to figure out how is doing rest of groups ( Filter, Freq )

I thought that Korg changed Fx behaviour, but, I have contacted General Distributor for Korg in my area ,and they confirm that problem/ BUG with FXs.

At first, I thought that this is normal,but my Pa4x definitely sounds worse than my ex pa3x because of that insert fx problems.

So now I'm doing abnormal stuff...Using only Master Fx for Dynamic group of Fx's instead of using space Fx's ( reverbs and delays)

Paolo and team, please respond about this problem ASAP !!!
alfaholic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to report the same, if used as an Insert effects, Stereo Compressor sounds different, or to be more precise it sounds bad, and no matter what setup I use it is almost unusable.
Maybe there is some other effect that is affected, but for now I noticed this one.

In particular, Stereo Compressor squashes the sound if used as an Insert effect, but if used as Master/Send effect it sounds the same as before on Pa2X Pro and Pa3X.
Pa1X had Mono Compressor, but that one was identical to the later ones in Pa2X Pro and Pa3X, so I would like to know if this is a bug, or Korg "fixed" something that did not needed to be fixed at all, because Stereo Compressor is one of the best effects included, or it was.

I would like to know if this is a bug, or Korg made this on purpose because I have over 400 styles to edit to make my Pa4 sound at least as good as Pa3X, I would not like to do it later again if Korg fix this as a bug in their next update.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With such a sensational thread heading, I was expecting to read total epic failure. Now I'm all disappointed. Laughing

Can you please give some consideration to the title and content of future threads please. Addressing threads to “All Pa4X User” about something “Broken” will cause misleading worry amongst some people.

I'm not trying to diminish your findings, all I'm saying is just give some consideration to the formatting of your thread title and content.

Quote:
Paolo and team, please respond about this problem ASAP !!!

Just to be clear so people don't get frustrated. You know this, so what I'm going to say is more so for others who may not know.

KORG do not own this forum and it is not part of anyone's job at KORG to respond to you or anyone else here. We are a forum owned and run by fellow end users just like you.

Anyone who wishes to demand a response from KORG need to contact KORG directly through official channels.

If KORG chooses to response to a thread here, count yourself lucky that employee had the personal free time to do so, but just remember, it was on their personal free time as no employee has been assigned any roll to this forum.

In short, don't demand anything from KORG here because they may not even see your post as being on this forum is not officially part of anyone's job at KORG.

Kind regards
Sharp.
Vex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp, thank you for responding.

I am aware that this is unofficial Korg forum powered by members.

Title thread and what is inside is exactly what I wanted to say. It is alarming.

For almost two months now I am trying to figure out what is wrong with the sound . My setup from Pa3x doesn't sound nearly good on Pa4x . I figured out that Insert effects does not work on Pa4x as they should . I going tonight on New Year's gig, so I do not have right now time do bring some audio evidence , but I will prove this with audio and video if it has to be like that. This is a major problem .

And I already spoke to general Korg distributor in my country, they sad that they are aware of this problem,and they will send an e-mail to Korg development team.

Sorry for such sensational title, but I'm a bit frustrated,too... Days and sleepless nights to find out is it about new sound engine,or something else... But ,unfortunately , bugs and problems are present.
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vex I can sense your frustrations but as pointed out Korg are visitors to this forum as and when, like many of us I would guess !

Your not alone in this frustration at things not working as expected or at all !
and we have the benefit of Paolo looking in at what users and owners are saying here. For my part wish lists are exactly that and should be put on the backburner while Korg figure out exactly what faults exist with the existing hardware and software and set right about fixing any such problems which are identified with users and Korg's own people.

The thread setup on this forum to list any know bugs identified by users should in my view be passed over to Korg as a Group, as individual complaints to dealers and Country Distributors will be filed and not dealt with, Between Korg and realworld users all of the operational issues must be actioned and if Korg do not address the issues or take too long to deal with them Korg run the likely risk of loosing customers and in the case of the Pa4x these are the types of customers who have cash in their pockets to spend on a high end arranger product and Korg would be foolish to loose this custom.

I have as yet not found this Insert Issue but as someone said the other day exactly what part of the Pa4x does not work to specification ? Well the answer to that is that this issue may be such a example ?
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am aware that this is unofficial Korg forum powered by members.

Yes sure, I made specific reference above to the fact that you knew this, and that comments where for those who may not know this.

Reason being, even though you knew this, you still asked KORG to response on this forum “ASAP” knowing full well that they may not even see your post. Don't get me wrong, I've no problem with that at all, I'm just concerned that an important post may go unnoticed and that others may get the wrong impression.

I'm delighted to see in your second post that from your discussions with the distributor they have informed you that the bug has been reported to the developers.

That's perfect, I'm relieved to know that.

Quote:
Title thread and what is inside is exactly what I wanted to say. It is alarming.

I don't wish to take away from your worries but also bear in mind that it's taken you almost 2 months to simply figure out what was odd is a bug.

It seems your the first to notice on the forum, and so chances are most people probably haven't even noticed any issue and probably would have never noticed.

That doesn't struck me as something worthy of alarming everyone to the point where your addressing all Pa4X users about an issue you already reported to KORG, who already knew about it and reported it to KORG Italy.

Sorry, I don't want to take away from your frustration at all by anything I'm posting. You have ever right to be frustrated as this issue effects you. I'm more worried about people being alarmed about issues they don't understand or issues that exist that they would have never even noticed.

None of which may even matter soon at all thanks to people like you who has gone through the proper means of reporting bugs to KORG.

Kind regards
Sharp.
Vex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintjamman wrote:

I have as yet not found this Insert Issue but as someone said the other day exactly what part of the Pa4x does not work to specification ? Well the answer to that is that this issue may be such a example ?

Here you go :

https://soundcloud.com/vexmunja/pa4x-insert-fx-stereo-compressor-failure

Factory style named Foo Rock.

Now go in sound and choose Rock Kit 1 Amb, then in Drum kit options select "Dry Only" and save like that in user DK.

Then go back to Foo rock style and select that Dry Rock DK.

Go now to Mixer/ Insert Fx and assign to DK : DYN: Stereo Compressor with default settings.

Maxx audio OFF.

You will hear behaviour like in the first part of my Sound cloud track... You can hear that kick drum is squashed ,snare a little bit,too.

Then turn off Insert FX, go to Mixer/Volume Pan and tick off "DRY" option above Drums track.

Then go to eg. MFX 2 and set there also DYN : Stereo Compressor with the same default settings.

Then go to Mixer/Fx Send and above Drum track press " DF " .

Then set all Master 2 sends to 127.

Press play. You will hear completely different sound picture,Drum kick sounds good,snare ,too,like on second part of the Soundcloud track.

And now tell me that is normal ???? Insert fx is useless right now, at least for drums.

As I am concerned, this is not good according to specification. This way ,by inserting compressor on Pa3x working good.
alfaholic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same happens here.

This is very tricky. Insert effects work in a sense that you can use them and there is some processing we can hear, but the problem is the quality of the processed signal.
This is maybe what people from Korg wanted, making compressor more sensitive (?), but then the question arises why only Insert Effects and not Master/Send effects, and what will happen with backward compatibility which is one of the Korg's stronger selling points.

It would be nice if someone from Korg tell us whether this is intended to be like this, or this is a bug.
If this is the part of their plan, I would like to know why they changed something that worked very good, and also why only Insert Effect.
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't wish to take away from your worries but also bear in mind that it's taken you almost 2 months to simply figure out what was odd is a bug.

It seems your the first to notice on the forum, and so chances are most people probably haven't even noticed any issue and probably would have never noticed.

That doesn't struck me as something worthy of alarming everyone to the point where your addressing all Pa4X users about an issue you already reported to KORG, who already knew about it and reported it to KORG Italy.

I can't say that I entirely agree with that point of view, the fact that it may have taken a user two months to notice this or any other issue might better be construed that there's a lot to this instrument and between playing and fiddling I can see how it might take a period of time to work out that there might be a problem. The fact that Korg might also know is neither here or there and anyone buying a product who might just be sat there scratching there head with a manual and thinking they were doing something wrong and then to find clarification that others have noticed a issue is of undoubted help I would say. Vex has done nothing wrong in highlighting this !

More's the point how has Korg not noticed a glaring error like this ? ? ?
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And now tell me that is normal ???? Insert fx is useless right now, at least for drums.

I don't have a Pa4X so technically I shouldn't comment, but on a Workstation when routing a Drum Kit to IFX you have two choices to make as to how the IFX interacts with the Drum Kit. One option is to send the Drum Kit straight through the IFX allowing it to process every key pressed equally, and the other option is to follow the individual Send Values assigned to each and every single percussion sound that makes up the drum kit.

Depending on the choice you make, this has a major effect on how much the IFX influences the Drum Kit. Where for a MFX the Kit will go straight though to the MFX equally and ignore the individual Send Values of the Kit.

This is totally normal for how Workstations operate. I can't comment on the Pa4X since I don't own one, but what your describing sounds normal to me. Providing I understand whats being said correctly.

Regards
Sharp.
alfaholic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because most users will never notice that something is wrong does not mean that this should not be addressed.
Some of us bought this instrument because of Insert Effects, so this is a deal braker for us.
Using effects in modern arrangers makes all the difference compared to the ones from nineties, so even if it looks like something less important for most users, it is an advanced feature and advanced users will suffer the most.
Also, I noticed this after few minutes of playing with my Pa4x, so everyone who use Insert Effects extensively will notice right away that something is, if not wrong then different.

Sharp wrote:
what your describing sounds normal to me. Providing I understand whats being said correctly.

Your logic is valid, but this has nothing to do with input signal level, simply compressor if used as Insert Effect works different now, which by it self is not problematic as backward compatibility.
Also, it is impossible to achieve the same result as Pa3x no matter the setup, it simply do not work well.

Last edited by alfaholic on Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just because most users will never notice that something is wrong does not mean that this should not be addressed.

Correct, which is why nobody ever suggested anything of the sort.

Regards
Sharp.
Vex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

I don't wish to take away from your worries but also bear in mind that it's taken you almost 2 months to simply figure out what was odd is a bug..

I have noticed that on the first day, but I thought that Korg changed effects, just like guitar amps are different now...And after that time fighting me with pa4x - figured out, that must be a bug, certainly not a feature.

And how is that not alarming? Korg advertise Insert effects as one of main features! If I knew that they are not working as it should, I would NEVER buy Pa4x. My arranger sound stands upon insert effects . Now I'm struggling with windmills.( upon other things described on forum).

Second, inserting FX in arrangement track or on upper Fx is simply as day, no special options. And I repeat, that simple Insert FX is working perfect on Pa3x.
Sharp, if you have possibility, when you play Pa4x in near future, try to use insert effects like I have described above, and you will see my concerns. This is very important to me as someone is important to have good piano sound. And the main thing is that this is a bug and must be addressed. I am not the only one who is using keyboard in advanced way. Pa4x is professional arranger. Let's keep it that way if it possible.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfaholic wrote:
but this has nothing to do with input signal level, simply compressor if used as Insert Effect works different now, which by it self is not problematic as backward compatibility.
Also, it is impossible to achieve the same result as Pa3x no matter the setup, it simply do not work well.

It would if the Pa4X has the function I'm referring to that's in all KORG Workstations.

Sorry I don't seem to be much help without a Pa4X and I don't specifically find the manual that helpful on this matter.

When you go to a SOUND mode and edit a drum kit, do you see an option there to set an individual Effect Send Value each and every key on the keyboard?

This is something all KORG workstations can do and it behaves exactly like what you and Vex are describing as a problem once set one way and not the other. It will behave differently for IFX and MFX too depending on what way it's set.

Regards
Sharp.
alfaholic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set FX Send level for each note/drum component, which is what I did with Pa2X Pro and all other Korg Pa arrangers without Insert effects. This way you can set desired level of compression to each note/drum component by altering input signal, but it was not perfect because you can not set output level for each note.
Either way, if you put FX Send for each note to 127, compressor will work the same as when you use it as an Insert Effect, which is logical because input signal level is the same, and it is the same effect.

The problem is somewhere else with Pa4X, the same effect sounds different, so when compressor is used as an Insert Effect the sound is squashed, too compressed. Earlier you can put Attack somewhere between 50 to 70, and Sensitivity from 70 to 90 and you will always achieve great sounding drum track, but with different character. Now, Pa4X sounds bad even if you put Attack to 10 and sensitivity to 30, snare disappears as too compressed, everything else feels like there is too much pumping, it simply do not work well.

Of course it is possible to use Master/Send effects for drum compression, but that has some other problems, for example latency and startup time. All Korg effects have some latency, so it can not be processed parallel with dry signal, and because if used as Master/Send effect there is some startup lag which is problematic if you want to change style during play, it eats first hit in the bar every time.

Korg's compressor was very simple and very powerful tool, now things looks a bit different, I do not know if that is made like this on purpose or this is just one minor bug. Either way, I need to wait for someone from Korg to confirm this so I can make my keyboard sound good again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: