Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attention to all Pa4x users :INSERT EFFECTS ARE BROKEN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi alfaholic

Quote:
You can set FX Send level for each note/drum component, which is what I did with Pa2X Pro and all other Korg Pa arrangers without Insert effects. This way you can set desired level of compression to each note/drum component by altering input signal, but it was not perfect because you can not set output level for each not.

Great, but I wonder do you also have an option to select the way the Kit signal gets routed to the IFX section on the the Pa4X or is it simply locked to one way only?

For example, on a Workstation this is a Tick Box we can select on the IFX page only that switches between two completely different ways the signal is processed by the IFX, MFX or both.

With this box “Unselected” a workstation will send the Drum Kit directly to the IFX/MFX bypassing all the individual send values assigned to each Note of your Drum Kit. When this box is selected, only then does it follow the individual send values assigned to each Note of your Drum Kit.

Quote:
The problem is somewhere else with Pa4X, the same effect sounds different, so when compressor is used as an Insert Effect the sound is squashed, too compressed. Earlier you can put Attack somewhere between 50 to 70, and Sensitivity from 70 to 90 and you will always achieve great sounding drum track, but with different character. Now, Pa4X sounds bad even if you put Attack to 10 and sensitivity to 30, snare disappears as too compressed, everything else feels like there is too much pumping, it simply do not work well.

Interesting....hmmm
Something sounds amiss there for sure.

Does this problem only apply to Drums? Just wondering since from a SOUND Mode point of view, they are not the same as instruments given that Drums don't go though the OSC's in the same way at all as instruments.

Quote:
Of course it is possible to use Master/Send effects for drum compression, but that has some other problems, for example latency and startup time. All Korg effects have some latency, so it can not be processed parallel with dry signal, and because if used as Master/Send effect there is some startup lag which is problematic if you want to change style during play, it eats first hit in the bar every time.

I would imagine you have latency for both IFX and MFX if moving from style to style very fast. This is one thing KORG has improved on big time with the KRONOS. You can actually switch entire programs on the KRONOS while holding notes and there’s no cut off of the notes your holding, or the effects. The split second you play a new note the new effects and sound selected plays. Zero latency. It's mighty powerful and something I hope to see in Arrangers at some point.

Quote:
Korg's compressor was very simple and very powerful tool, now things looks a bit different, I do not know if that is made like this on purpose or this is just one minor bug. Either way, I need to wait for someone from Korg to confirm this so I can make my keyboard sound good again.

I wish I could be of more help. Something sounds off, pardon the pun, but I wonder if it's actually a bug and not some routing config.

Regards
Sharp.
alfaholic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your help.

I have to do more testing, but I think I might have solution for this, and you are on the same track with your suggestion.

My first Korg was the old X3, and back then you could choose the routing for two FX, which was never the case with their arrangers. Pa80 did not have DRY option to uncheck and listen only processed signal through Send to Master FX, which is added later in Pa1X. Pa3X is the first arranger with Insert FX, but all of them had some strange routing where Insert and Master FX were behind track mixer, and three master sliders for Drum/Perc, Bass, and Acc.
Now Pa4X is the first arranger to have "proper" routing where Insert FX is placed before track mixer and three master sliders, but now we have problem with dynamic effects and their lack of Input signal regulation, so Stereo Compressor is working hard.
Also, Stereo Compressor is more like Transient Modulator with only two knobs, so there is no Threshold and Ratio, but I understand that it is more complicated for the average users.

As I said earlier, I need more time to test this, but there are few ways to "fix" this, at least until Korg decide to give us Input and Output knob for each FX, or to make EQ Trim as PRE.

As for FX latency, there is much less latency and startup time for Insert FX than Master FX. It was still there on a Pa3X, but much better compared to Pa2X Pro.
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think VEX did find something that,s really important for KORG, and for Users.
But on the same time, why are we fighting on this, The truth is that, The KORG is not the same as it should be!
1 X was super sounding machine, Clear, Better quality, Led,s Keybed, and so, 2X was OK! 3 X Messed upp whit sound quality, And 4x are missing to many things,and some 4 x is not booting after OS upgrade!

Whit all my respect, Whats going on there?
I know that Korg can do this better, It,s my dream team.
I,m reading to many posts whit many things that makes me sad.
Are we beta testers?

Rolling Eyes

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asena wrote:

...and then there's this:- https://youtu.be/5vAmyyMXxvU
...and this... https://youtu.be/odrpa3_Esc0 ... and... https://youtu.be/TBA8_AIVALw

Go play one and then maybe for you not so sad..... I said "maybe" because we all have different needs.
Nope, I don't own one yet but I am greatly warming towards it the more I hear and also from friends who actually own one (sadly not close enough to me for me to play!!!)

Personally, I find the PA3X the best to date - sound-quality-wise since the beginning - PA1X and PA2X were nice but PA3X broke the ice IMHO.

I'm still prepared to wait and form my own opinion of the PA4X - but it's looking good.
"Fill-to-var"?
...for the new features, OS improvements, new styles, revamped styles,new sounds etc, I think I could live with the "FILL" changes - BUT still researching and enjoying all the feedback from the PA4X owners!! BUT I AM NOT SAYING that I don't care about the FILL changes - I will consider embracing such changes, then decide to buy.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Vex

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aware that this is not Paolo's obligation, but I would like to,and I'm asking here politely ,if he can say anything about this described in this thread ?

My whole keyboard sound depends on this .... I do not now what to do now with Pa4x, I'm stuck. If this can be fixed- I must wait, if this can not be fixed- I'll maybe start thinking of selling this keyboard. i bought this keyboard to make better sound, but with this problems, my investment in Pa4x is a simple fail.

Thanks in advance.
alfaholic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can see, this has nothing to do with input signal and routing, but I need to test it more.

It would be nice if Paolo can give us some input about this while we are troubleshooting...
Paolo@Korg
Korg Italy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm unfortunately not able to answer, until our offices open back after these long holidays. We were obviously able to program some hundred Styles with the Pa4X's insert effects, so I can only guess they are not "broken". However, before being able to catch the problems Vex is facing I need some talk with the developers, and see if there is something missing from the documentation, in the programming, or if there is some still unknown bug.

In the meantime, I suggest to start analyzing a Style or Keyboard Set where the Stereo Compressor is used in the way you want to use it, and see if there is something particular in the routing parameters.

Also, since this is a stereo processor applied to a mono channel, I would experiment with the Envelope Select parameter set to "L/R Individually" and use it as a mono processor. I'm not sure there is some side-chain somewhere in the effect's path.

Another parameter to try, since the audio example you posted sounds like an overcompression artifact, is the Wet/Mix balance, changing the amount of processed signal in the insert.

Paolo
gewa13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Asena wrote:

Nope, I don't own one yet...
Very Happy

In that case you should not contradict every single negative post about 4x.
It seems like you're being paid by Korg. I have returned mine after 2 weeks, due to many bugs and features missing, and that screen resolution was something I could not stand to look at.

Using keyboard for fun at home is one thing, but using it for a living is something completely different. It's obvious that Korg messed up big time with premature release of 4x. It will take a while to fix some of the issues software related, but for people that need it now it's very frustrating.
alfaholic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Paolo.

As I already said, Insert Effects do work in a sense that you can use them, but how they work is a different question. Specifically, Stereo Compressor simply do not work as it should, you can test it by yourself and compare it with the same Stereo Compressor used as a Master Effect, it will work different.
If used as a Master Effect it will work as it should, the same as before, but if used as an Insert Effect it will squash the sounds, and it will compress very hard.

This is Stereo Compressor and it is applied to stereo Drum Track, also it is very simple effect with only two parameters to set, Attack and Sensitivity. There is no Threshold, Ratio, Input, Knee or SideChain to try some other routing option or configuration.

WET/DRY balance is not available in Stereo Compressor, and even if it is that has nothing to do with the signal entering compressor, it just regulates the mix of the processed and unprocessed signal.
Stereo Compressor must work the same as an Insert or Master effect, because when used as a Master, DRY checkbox is unchecked in order to avoid flanger effect because of the effect processor's latency. It is not possible to have parallel compression in Korg Pa.

Thank you Paolo, but we need more info from developers to solve this...
Paolo@Korg
Korg Italy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfaholic wrote:
WET/DRY balance is not available in Stereo Compressor, and even if it is that has nothing to do with the signal entering compressor, it just regulates the mix of the processed and unprocessed signal.

If you go to Style Play > Menu > Mixer/Tuning > Insert FX, then touch the DYN button to access Insert FX editing, you should see a Wet/Dry parameter on the bottom of the page.

This should be a "parallel compression" control, splitting the dry signal from the compressed signal when not set at "Wet". I cannot test it now, but I suspect lowering this value could reduce overcompressing. Please let me know if it does.

Paolo
Vex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paolo, thank you for replying.

When I started this thread, I have already tried every possible solutions to see where is the problem. I have read the manual and look in every corner of it to see if I'm missing something here, but no success.
I'm using that same Stereo Compressor effect since Pa2x. And as far as I know first styles that are made by Korg which are using Stereo compressor like I'm using for 6 years now, are IN THIS LAST bonus style (pop) Pa4x pack which came out when OS 1.1.0 was released. Except these styles, NONE of factory styles are using stereo compressor effect with insert fx on whole drums track.Even there, in these styles, Stereo compressor is used surgically, not radically like I am. On Pa3x this way of using Stereo compressor is working flawlessly. . I have described in this thread how to compare this same effect in Pa4x and hear the difference. Korg developers should try and they will hear the same problem. (Overcompressed sound coming from using Stereo compressor on drum track with a default effect settings).

To be clear with this, I have tried to do, in combination and separately, for the test purpose :
1. Change Wet/dry values on Insert Fx ( but first of all that's not do the trick because I want to use full potential of that FX, I want a whole drum track to be fully processed by compressor. I repeat, that is working on Pa3x. Parameter setting must be " Wet" in here. If is in some ratio, there is some "flanger/double" effect sound, caused of mixing dry and processed signal, so, this even if it is working (but it's not) it is not an option.
2. Lowering input in compressor by lowering drum track
3. Lowering drum kit in Sound/Amp for - 5-20db (random values, to see if there is any change)
4. Tried even with EQ trim in Compressor settings and EQ trim in Mixer( but this is a Post effect parameter, and I even tried that)

... And in every situation this overcompressed sound is present, drum track sound with lower volume, but again, that overcompressed sound remains Healthy sound only appears in situation (described on previous page in this thread) when I use Stereo compressor on Master FX, and route signal to be fully processed by compressor effect ( untick Dry and send every drum family through Master FX where compressor is set.

I hope that Korg devepers will investigate this issue after holidays and I would be glad to hear any kind of news about it.
I was right about HDD sleep issue on Pa4x,didn't I? Smile

Thank you again in advance Korg team and all good people here!
Greetings.
gargy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vex wrote:

I hope that Korg devepers will investigate this issue after holidays and I would be glad to hear any kind of news about it.
I was right about HDD sleep issue on Pa4x,didn't I? Smile

You are troublemaker Vex Smile ...instead to go back into hibernation now they have to investigate,fix bugs ...after five years lot of stress man Rolling Eyes

I'll buy you lunch Very Happy ,thanks to you (and other advanced users) i didn't trow money for this keyboard(i almost said PA4 "prototype" ).
alfaholic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Paolo.

As Vex already said, there is a latency issue with Korg FX processor so it is impossible to use Stereo Compressor for parallel compression.

I would just like to correct Vex, parallel compression would solve this problem because then we would be able to mix unprocessed and processed signal so we would be able to get even better results, but as I can see making FX processor without latency is just too much to ask from Korg.

Vex mentioned something very important, lowering drum kit volume in Sound do not affect Stereo Compressor input signal, which is by it self against laws of physics.
The only thing that can make this possible is that Stereo Compressor have some normalisation before compression, which was never the case with Master FX because they were POST fader, so when we turn down volume in Mixer, we get less compression because input signal strength is reduced.

We need more time for testing, but only developers can help us with this.
I am sorry that only advanced users are affected with this so there is no many people complaining about this, which can make us look silly, but this is a real thing and real problem for us which can force us to sell Pa4X.

Thank you all...
Vex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gargy wrote:

You are troublemaker Vex Smile

Hey, I'm not a bad guy here Wink Smile I'm not guilty because of trying to use this keyboard and it's potential.... And if wasn't me, other advanced user will sooner or later report the same issues.... I've spent 3700 euros to be Korg's beta tester... Very expensive job investment Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy ... But, when you using some advanced features, you can not see from the manual ( which was released afer I bought Pa4x(for the record)) or when you try keyboard in store for a short time these issues.

At least I'm thankful for good communication with Paolo, forum administration and some users, so I'm still holding fingers crossed for Pa4x Wink Smile
Paolo@Korg
Korg Italy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vex and alfaholic,

Quote:
On Pa3x this way of using Stereo compressor is working flawlessly. . I have described in this thread how to compare this same effect in Pa4x and hear the difference. Korg developers should try and they will hear the same problem. (Overcompressed sound coming from using Stereo compressor on drum track with a default effect settings).

Pa3X had post-fader Insert FXs (IFX), while Pa4X has pre-fader IFXs. In Pa3X the level of the sound entering the IFX changed with the volume level of the Sound/channel. In Pa4X, the volume level of the Sound/channel is irrelevant to the processing, that always happens on the Sound at full volume. To have less compression, you have to use the Sensitivity parameter in the Stereo Compressor effect.

My initial idea of trying the Wet/Dry control inside the IFX was not a good one, since this will introduce delay between the Wet and Dry lines. The amount of delay depends on the selected effect.

To see how we used dynamics processing in the IFX, please analyze the Welcome Rock and Rock Star Factory Styles, where we used the Stereo Limiter. In the limiter you can adjust compression by using the traditional Threshold and Ratio parameters.

In any case, please remember that the sounds in Pa4X have already been processed (by normalization, compression, equalization), so most of the time you probably shouldn’t have to add further compression, that may easily result in overcompression.

Quote:
I would just like to correct Vex, parallel compression would solve this problem because then we would be able to mix unprocessed and processed signal so we would be able to get even better results, but as I can see making FX processor without latency is just too much to ask from Korg.

You can’t have a digital compressor without latency. Digital compression has to look-ahead at the incoming signal, introducing a delay of some samples. DAWs avoid delay by delaying the direct (dry) signal, but this is not a viable solution in live musical instruments.

Paolo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: