Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attention to all Pa4x users :INSERT EFFECTS ARE BROKEN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoric

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add a comment to your post Paolo..I mostly make my custom styles that I manualy make in record mode,and I don't use factory styles and drum kits very much.I am using Multisample DK for my sound,and the stereo compressor is a must have for My DK....so that statement that we don't need more compressor since the factory styles are already processed is not valid in my book!that makes me a advanced user like Vex and Alfaholic,and I can add my vote for the fact that Stereo Compressor is not working like it worked on Pa3x....It takes a lot of work to adjust all my styles to put Compressor to MFX where it works fine,but it doesn't belong there!but now I see that this is the big change in Pa4x and it can't never be the same like Pa3x no matter how good it was....

Thanks for your reply.
alfaholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Paolo.

I am glad you confirmed what I said about Pre Fader and Post Fader, which is finally fixed because this is more logical way of using insert effects.
But, as you already know, there are some cases where the old way, Post Fader is good so I am not happy that Korg did not said anything about this important change in routing. Maybe they did, but I did not hear or read that anywhere, I am sorry if this is the case.

I need to test more your suggestion about Sensitivity. I do not know what algorithm is used in Stereo Compressor but Sensitivity is not just about input signal, it is more than that as far as I can hear. It sounds like it adds input signal and it changes attack and release, maybe even knee. It sounds like old Opto compressors, so lowering Sensitivity to reduce input signal is not a solution because there is much more involved in this, but I need to test it more.
Also, Attack reacts different if you turn down input signal, so lowering both Attack and Sensitivity, because input signal can not be altered, changes compressor character and that simply is not a solution for our troubles here.

We have two big problems here, backward compatibility and inability to change input signal.
I would like to ask is there any chance to ask from developers to add Input trim before IFX in the chain, or to give us an option to use Pre fader or Post Fader configuration for our setup. Or simply if you load resources from Pa3X it automatically use Post Fader, which can be changed later, but this way users who just use resources with dynamic effects do not need to know anything about it.
Or simply to give us both options, because only both can can solve all problems, backward compatibility and full control over input signal.

Thank you again Paolo.
Vex

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfaholic wrote:

We have two big problems here, backward compatibility and inability to change input signal.
I would like to ask is there any chance to ask from developers to add Input trim before IFX in the chain, or to give us an option to use Pre fader or Post Fader configuration for our setup. Or simply if you load resources from Pa3X it automatically use Post Fader, which can be changed later, but this way users who just use resources with dynamic effects do not need to know anything about it.
Or simply to give us both options, because only both can can solve all problems, backward compatibility and full control over input signal.

Thank you again Paolo.

Thank you Paolo for news about this.

But, what alfaholic sad, this js exactly what I wanted to wrote after reading your post/answer. What we must do to have backward compatibility or add imput trim to have fully operational Insert FX?

I already tried that Stereo Limiter, I have noticed that setup in Welcome Rock style, but that limter doesn't give me desired sound and drum character like I had with Stereo compressior. Also, zoric sad important thing, user samples are not the same as factory, so usable Stereo compressor would really help. Alfaholic explained that Sensitivity parameter just not working so simple to "fix" routing or input in insert FX.
So, as we concluded that is not a bug, but we concluded that job with Insert Fx's is half done without Input trim...

I hope that story will not end here, because right now, I don't have complete solution for this change on Pa4x.
Vex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paolo@Korg wrote:

Pa3X had post-fader Insert FXs (IFX), while Pa4X has pre-fader IFXs. In Pa3X the level of the sound entering the IFX changed with the volume level of the Sound/channel. In Pa4X, the volume level of the Sound/channel is irrelevant to the processing, that always happens on the Sound at full volume. To have less compression, you have to use the Sensitivity parameter in the Stereo Compressor effect.

Sorry Paolo, but that described option ( changing Sensitivity parameter,and other options in Stereo Compressor) simply does not work like they working when Stereo Compressor is set at Master FX position. This Stereo Compressor effect acts on this two separate positions like two different effects. One usable ( on MFX) and another -unusable on IFX.

When I set Stereo Compressor as IFX , there is "overcompression" situation in every reasonable Sensitivity/Attack ratio .... With some values, even when changing Output parameter, this effects now make sound picture worse . Even if I use this effect separately ,on each family ( eg. kick,snare) , changed routing path on Pa4x (pre-fader) change the whole story and results are not good -irrelevant if I use factory resources or user samples.

As Sharp said , workstations has settings for IFX routing and input,and there are no problems. If PA arrangers has IFX,they should be fully operational,or if it has to be with less options-than PA3X was good build. My opinion.

I hope that we won't have to wait for Pa5x for this advanced options Sad
I am also aware that Korg right now have some bigger priorities for solving-like Pa4x boot issues,but I hope that this advances stuff will came in line for future updates.

Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: