Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dave Smith Instruments OB6
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Dave Smith Instruments OB6 Reply with quote

I see that nobody's commenting on that one. Check out http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2016/01/21/namm2016-dave-smith-instruments-ob6/. Dave Smith is on a roll, really Smile
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good On Dave,The Analog Polysynth King,what a collaboration between two great synth heads as with the Prophet 6 I suspect this will be another great seller.
Wink
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/RFndmSO7OFo

THAT is the by far most important thing at this year's NAMM to me.
What a pity that I simply can't justify buying a new 3 grand synth after just having bought the Prophet 6.
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, 49 keys, not built for musicians that know how to use both hands, so a non-starter for me.

..Joe
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, you really want to start that all over here?

- I have the impression that I know how to use both hands. And I don't think that you are entiteld in any possible way for another totally unqualified condescending remark like "not built for musicians that know how to use both hands" in here.
- I know that a synth is no piano with other sounds, but has certain main purposes in today's music, and I certainly don't take lessons concerning that from you. Just go and learn your own lesson from capable musicians who don't live with your musical blinders.
- I have ZERO problems playing my Prophet 6 in that way all day long
- after some user experience I even think that the 4 octaves are an ideal compromise between lightweight form factor and high usability!

So, with all due respect, you just make your own decision, as we both of course leave theirs to others. But you certainly neither speak for me, nor for "for musicians that know how to use both hands"!
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Joe, you really want to start that all over here?
I have ZERO problems playing my Prophet 6 in that way all day long
- after some user experience I even think that the 4 octaves are an ideal compromise between lightweight form factor and high usability!
So, with all due respect, you just make your own decision, as we both of course leave theirs to others. But you certainly neither speak for me, nor for "for musicians that know how to use both hands"!

Well said.

Very Happy

Quote:
What a pity that I simply can't justify buying a new 3 grand synth after just having bought the Prophet 6.

Yes its a tough call,I've just pulled the plug on a P6 too,but I'm glad I held off for a while because the prices dropped slightly since it came out,so will expect the OB price to do the same,its been rumoured at £2500 UK pounds at the moment.

I thinks it hard from a consumer point as its significantly more costly than the P6 at the moment so wonder if the price will be detrimental to the success of the OB and whether they will lower it in order to give the consumer the choice on a level playing field.

On paper the specs of this OB look very similar so its kind of suppressed my urge to buy one for the time being,but if its half as much fun as the P6 its going to be hard to resist once they start shipping,judging by some of the sound demos the Pads that this thing seems capable of,seem more smooth than those I've coaxed out of the Prophet 6 so far.

As Dave Smith stated at Namm "We're back in 1979",you were either a prophet guy or an OB guy back then,although its hard to keep up with his releases I'm more than happy to buy into the DSI dream,I've already got several DSI synths I would rather shelll out the money and support DSI for an up to date reliable Vintage than line the pockets of some of these greedy Vintage sellers chasing that vibe,The bubble is finally bursting on the Vintage Dinosaurs of yesteryear Good on DSI for keeping the Poly Analog tradition alive.

Its a very interesting time to be living in with current synth technology.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds really smooth.

For me, 49-keys is a selling point. I think that form factor works really, really well in the studio and live.

"Musicians that know how to use both hands" would, if they're serious, use two keyboards, one for each hand, using complimentary sounds and no split point. Wink In which case 61+ notes for each hand are overkill.

But a single 49-key is still more than playable with two hands.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> We're back in 1979

Yeah in more ways than I want....

Back to almost $5000 synthesizers and really expensive analog synths that most kids can only dream about.

Just waiting for 100+ pound Rhodes and other keyboards to come back. That will really transport me back to 1979.

It is so irritating that it's 2016 and I still cannot justify buying a Prophet 12 or an Oberheim 2 voice pro.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted a prophet 6 now the ob6 I can't wait to see some head to heads put up. The only thing I don't get other then a nostalgia thing is the blue lines. I find they really confuse my eyes, but I am getting used to them the more I look at it. I think they both sound Great!

Also DSI thank you for not jumping on the mini key slim key too small key bandwagon.

Last edited by Bertotti on Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
> We're back in 1979

Yeah in more ways than I want....

Back to almost $5000 synthesizers and really expensive analog synths that most kids can only dream about.

Just waiting for 100+ pound Rhodes and other keyboards to come back. That will really transport me back to 1979.

It is so irritating that it's 2016 and I still cannot justify buying a Prophet 12 or an Oberheim 2 voice pro.

These modern day analogs from DSI are more within reach of most people than the originals were,I have no issues with the price point,nor do most of the people who are buying them,thats everyone from your pros to your bedroom boys,the popularity of DSI gear speaks volumes they are bought by a diverse range of people not just rich individuals.

Dave Smith Knows there's a market for these things and the price tag is realistic otherwise he wouldn't be selling them after all if someones prepared to pay double that for a P5 why wouldn't they pay half for a modern equvilant like the P6.

The Vintage originals have just gone too far with Sensible values,pushed up by greedy sellers,for me buying something like an original P5 or OB I cannot justify,even though I can afford to buy them,if a modern day Prophet 6 or 12 lasts twenty years of use then the price was worth it for me.

if your looking for justification on the price of a DSI synth,what would you rather spend your money on....A vintage dinosaur i.e. something like a Jupiter 8 that will cost you double the price of any of DSI top end synths plus the maintenance costs to keep it running or a modern day alternative with reliability and a warranty,I know where my cash is best spent,most of these Vintage originals are now well out of reach of most individuals like they were in the beginning even more so than DSI synths of today.

I suspect you'll see a few P12's coming up secondhand soon once people trade in that for an OB or P6 so wait for a bargain to come up if you can't justify the new price. Wink
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
- I have the impression that I know how to use both hands. And I don't think that you are entiteld in any possible way for another totally unqualified condescending remark like "not built for musicians that know how to use both hands" in here.

Really? Okay: play the Bach Chromatic Fantasia and Fugue on it. Within the synth world, Play ELP's "Pirates" on it, or "Karn Evil 9."

Quote:
- I know that a synth is no piano with other sounds, but has certain main purposes in today's music, and I certainly don't take lessons concerning that from you. Just go and learn your own lesson from capable musicians who don't live with your musical blinders.
(Note: emphasis mine.)

So, all the previous literature is NOT to be played on it- that's what you stating? It's a limited-purpose, specific-use item, NOT for playing general music?

Quote:
- I have ZERO problems playing my Prophet 6 in that way all day long

Again: play the Bach Chromatic Fantasia and Fugue on it. Within the synth world, Play ELP's "Pirates" on it, or "Karn Evil 9."

Quote:

I have.

And as for "starting that over here," are YOU stating that I don't have the right to post my opinion as I see fit? Are you stating that I'm not allowed to post something but YOU are? Who's being condescending now? Who's asserting superiority over what one is allowed to state over the other?

So yeah, Mr. Jim. You can stuff your P6 up your pigu if you think I'm not gonna complain about my perceived limitations in new equipment. I've been doing this since the early 70's, and seen a lot of equipment come and go. I've done it professionally since 73, and have earned the right to complain to the manufacturers about what they put out there, especially when they want my money for it.

Finally, no one is twisting your arm to read my posts. Don't like them, skip over them- I won't mind a bit.

..Joe
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, you can complain about any keyboard format and buy or buy not. Nobody is concerned about that.

But if you repeatedly (see P6 thread) try that with offensive condescending generalizations not making any sense ("not built for musicians that know how to use both hands" etc.), this will simply backfire at you.

Quote:
Okay: play the Bach Chromatic Fantasia and Fugue on it. Within the synth world, Play ELP's "Pirates" on it, or "Karn Evil 9."

Aren't you aware how funny your proposition is? Ever got the idea that an instrument like the P6 isn't build at all to play Bach piano (or cembalo) pieces in the first place? And I also doubt that you will find many keyboarders who feel a strong yearning for playing Karn Evil on it. It's a synth for nowadays music making, even if this may come as a sursprise to you. Laughing

Quote:
So, all the previous literature is NOT to be played on it- that's what you stating? It's a limited-purpose, specific-use item, NOT for playing general music?

You got it! Cool

Were you aware that this is true for a lot of modern instruments? The Vox Continental was NOT made for musicians who might want to play Widor or Messiaen on it. The Mellotron was NOT made to play symphony literature. The Minimoog was NOT made to play violin concertos with it. The Fender Rhodes was NOT made to play Beethoven sonatas or piano concertos on it, the Wurly certainly not either.

The very last thing all these and other modern electric instruments have been built for, is playing the whole range of classical music or Keith Emerson's Karn Evil. If that kind of intrument is not for you, that's no problem at all. But that doesn't mean a thing for the vast majority of musicians interested in modern instruments and their possibilities.

Joe Zawinul in an interview:
"An instrument is not important. It is the way one plays that is important. Instruments don’t play by themselves. A piano is certainly not a better instrument than a synthesizer, but if a synthesizer is played like a piano, it becomes a very bad instrument. It doesn’t work. You can’t play a trumpet like a violin—it doesn’t go. That’s the problem—the players, not the instrument. Any instrument is a wonderful thing."

Everybody buying a P6 or an OB6 is doing exactly that: using it for the possibilities it really offers, in the context you play. And that's why four octaves are lots of possibilities and zero problem for lots of nowadays keyboarders who know how to use them.

Last edited by jimknopf on Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ahnyxrik

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OB6 is the BEST new analog synth that has come out since everyone started to 'remake' classic analog synths. (IMO)
It just made me freak out when I first heard the demos...
It really sounds like the OB power you hear in RUSH, Thompson Twins,
Van Halen, Queen (Flash Gordon Sntrk), Prince.. I can go on....
The MS-20, ARP Odyssey, Prophet 6 & now a OB6....
The future is bright for those like me who love real classic analog synthesis with modern twists!
I am a happy baby now... gotta sell gear for the OB6....
or a future Korg Arp 2600 remake.... LOL
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah thank you crap...a 150$ soft can do a lot better then this...
and actually use it 100 times in a song.
Oh the Nostalgia and hands on? Nah, thanks to that either.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These have the prophet6 module now that can poly chain to the prophet module. I wonder if the module could poly chain to the OB6?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: