Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zues to become the Kronos successor???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NIO0850

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Zues to become the Kronos successor??? Reply with quote

In Greek mythology, Cronus /ˈkroʊnəs/ or Kronos /ˈkroʊnɒs/ (Greek: Κρόνος, krónos) was the leader and youngest of the first generation of Titans, the divine descendants of Uranus, the sky, and Gaia, the earth. He overthrew his father and ruled during the mythological Golden Age, until he was overthrown by his own son Zeus and imprisoned in Tartarus.

So do you guys think Korg will follow mythology and call the Kronos successor "Zues" ? Possibly the Krome successor is called Tartarus where features and sounds of Kronos are imprisoned? Haha just a curious fun thought. Wink
afr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it will be called Zeus or M5 ( which is a name that I would like ) or whatever, but for sure after the release of Montage, in Korg can sleep very quietly, I do not see montage as a serious competitor of Kronos
metallo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall the name Oasys in any ancient Greek story or mythology.
NIO0850

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True but maybe Oasys = "sky and earth". something that provides refuge, relief, or pleasant contrast. Earth is an Oasis of green in our solar system of desert. Wink

metallo wrote:
I don't recall the name Oasys in any ancient Greek story or mythology.
NIO0850

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else excited about the 2017 Korg Zues?
marc1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Korg is going to release a Kronos successor anytime soon (2017? I don't think so) because there is no need to. First, there is no real Kronos competitor on the market which could force Korg to defend their market share and develop the Kronos-concept further. Second, there's rather shrinking interest in high priced consumer electronics. The market seems quite saturated at the moment.

And last, I'm sure they won't ever name it Zues. It simply doesn't sound as powerful as "Kronos" (which afterall is the sense behind naming the instrument Kronos, it alludes phonetically and mythologically to the power of the machine in order to attract customers). But of course this is only my opinion and I could be wrong.
NormC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg would spell it right if they did use the name Zeus.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hera would be even better Very Happy

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a nod to James Bond i vote for MI6, MI7 and MI8! Laughing
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc1 wrote:
I don't think Korg is going to release a Kronos successor anytime soon (2017? I don't think so) because there is no need to. First, there is no real Kronos competitor on the market which could force Korg to defend their market share and develop the Kronos-concept further. Second, there's rather shrinking interest in high priced consumer electronics. The market seems quite saturated at the moment.

And last, I'm sure they won't ever name it Zues. It simply doesn't sound as powerful as "Kronos" (which afterall is the sense behind naming the instrument Kronos, it alludes phonetically and mythologically to the power of the machine in order to attract customers). But of course this is only my opinion and I could be wrong.

you are right about "zoose" .

But I don't agree with the passive , overly cautious approach.

Korg did not have to launch the Kronos. The workstation market was shrinking into nothingness. But Korg jumped on the weakness.

High priced consumer electronics ? Like a big screen TeeVee ? No comparison.

I think Korg should push forward in 2017. Establish more ' mind share'. Don't stare in the rear view mirror.
Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting approach to naming keyboards, starting out with the Kronos, then the lliad and the ARP Odyssey, and maybe next, something to house them all ... The Korg PANTHEON
Korg Kronos II - Instant Karma's Gonna Get You, Synth Wars - The Rise of the KARP 2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, KARP & Odyessey, Moog One - The Poly Menace, Vintage 2016 Model D, Voyager of Sinbad XL, Fooger Family of Six, Three Mothers Like No Others, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, MoogClaraVox, Criklon V2, in living color, Elektron RytmII Avenue, Neuman U67
marc1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you are right about "zoose"

I just picked up the spelling of the initial poster, but in the end wether it would be "zoose" or "zeoose", from a strict phonetical standpoint I don't think Korg would earn much from it except some serious head shaking.

Strangely, this reminds me somehow. Where's my b**ze?

Aahhh, here it is Beer

With high priced consumer electronics I mean virtually anything that's not an iPhone or iPad. People bought good computers or notebooks 5 years ago and they're still content with it... no need to invest into new power, which you're not going to use most of the time. The second hand market is full of Kronos and Kronos X and I can assure you that people are not selling them in order to get the Kronos2. People keep telling me over and over that the Kronos is simply too expensive and that they rather go for software (at least home and studio musicians). That's why I also think that the Montage will not be a success for Yamaha. People are more critical of these things, especially in light of potentially new economic crisis.
afr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
With a nod to James Bond i vote for MI6, MI7 and MI8! Laughing

I'm with you, MI7

I like the idea to go on with the m (m1/m3)
marc1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Quote:
Korg did not have to launch the Kronos. The workstation market was shrinking into nothingness. But Korg jumped on the weakness.

That's your interpretation of the situation back then. I rather think they understood that the Kronos would be their last resort in order to keep the workstation concept alive. And even at that time (as revolutionary as the Kronos truely was) people kept complaining over and over about it.
And from a pure sonic point of view I can even understand them. Most people in the western hemisphere possess a computer anyway, so if you intend to make music, you buy a controller, a daw and some special sound libraries and your done with half of the price of a Kronos and still sound great.

Ultimately, that's what most of the people see: price-performance ratio.

That's why the Kronos is largely aimed at live musicians with SSD, SST and Setlist mode.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc1 wrote:
GregC wrote:
Quote:

That's your interpretation of the situation back then. I rather think they understood that the Kronos would be their last resort in order to keep the workstation concept alive. And even at that time (as revolutionary as the Kronos truely was) people kept complaining over and over about it.
And from a pure sonic point of view I can even understand them. Most people in the western hemisphere possess a computer anyway, so if you intend to make music, you buy a controller, a daw and some special sound libraries and your done with half of the price of a Kronos and still sound great.

Ultimately, that's what most of the people see: price-performance ratio.

That's why the Kronos is largely aimed at live musicians with SSD, SST and Setlist mode.

That was my reason for getting mine. I was using a laptop running Komplete 7 and Omnisphere. (Korg Triton/Yamaha P-80) But, I had a stationary playing job at Church so I didn't have to move much. My new position was a Church meeting in a school meaning setup and teardown each week. I opted for the Kronos 61, which I had been watching, to replace the computer setup. I've had it three years now and never looked back. I only had to sample a few sounds from Omnisphere and I'm not missing anything. Every now and then I think it might be cool to add my laptop to the K61 with a single USB cable and add all the Komplete/Omnisphere sounds etc. but I really love the simplicity of just runjning the K61 with the P80 as a controller. Love SST, love Setlist!

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: